Soon? The Mars Volta

1 minute ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

How is $35 not astronomical when other triple LPs were $20-25? It wasn't common for artists to have the balls to sell vinyl for a 50%+ markup back then and FtM sat around getting dusty for years because of it. It was only $25 when it would go on clearance. A lot went on clearance.

I mean, its subjective how people feel about the cost of something against their own comfort level in spending. I didn't find $35 for a 3xLP to be astronomical. I just didn't buy it because as at the time I had a phobia about spending money on things for myself that were not necessities like clothes, etc. And yeah, it was on clearance from time to time for less.

I don't recall a ton of 3xLP releases and their prices around that time. General price points of different formats had a lot to do with the popularity of the band and the size of the label as they tend to today. Also different retailers had many different prices for the same product often. I remember different stores had OP copies of Amputechture priced at anywhere from $17 to $30 between 2006 and 2009.

6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, its subjective how people feel about the cost of something against their own comfort level in spending. I didn't find $35 for a 3xLP to be astronomical. I just didn't buy it because as at the time I had a phobia about spending money on things for myself that were not necessities like clothes, etc. And yeah, it was on clearance from time to time for less.

I don't recall a ton of 3xLP releases and their prices around that time. General price points of different formats had a lot to do with the popularity of the band and the size of the label as they tend to today. Also different retailers had many different prices for the same product often. I remember different stores had OP copies of Amputechture priced at anywhere from $17 to $30 between 2006 and 2009.

Whatever man "it's subjective and worth it to me though" isn't an argument. Geogaddi was $20 or less when it released. Now represses are $30. This band just be like that and it's always been annoying. They aren't popular either. Stores had copies that cheap because nobody bought them. Gold Standard Labs folded after 3 TMV albums because their business model was terrible.

Edited by Your Ex-Wife

Whatever man "it's subjective and worth it to me though" isn't an argument. Geogaddi was $20 or less when it released. Now represses are $30. This band just be like that and it's always been annoying. They aren't popular either. Stores had copies that cheap because nobody bought them. Gold Standard Labs folded after 3 TMV albums because their business model was terrible.

Sorry.  I didn't realize we were applying proper Economics by the book to our discussion of how much records should cost. Part of what things cost is a reading on how much people are willing to spend. Sometimes that factor is ignored when a product is priced. I was only talking about how I felt about the cost of that record at the time. It seemed justified to me then and it seems more than justified to me now. Its just a shame its no longer available at that price that I would happily pay today for that record.

Just now, mcpherson123 said:

Sorry.  I didn't realize we were applying proper Economics by the book to our discussion of how much records should cost. Part of what things cost is a reading on how much people are willing to spend. Sometimes that factor is ignored when a product is priced. I was only talking about how I felt about the cost of that record at the time. It seemed justified to me then and it seems more than justified to me now. Its just a shame its no longer available at that price that I would happily pay today for that record.

It's crazy how far you go just to avoid admitting you were wrong about a sensible price tag in 2005

It's crazy how far you go just to avoid admitting you were wrong about a sensible price tag in 2005

14 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I didn't find $35 for a 3xLP to be astronomical.

How can I be wrong about how I felt about a price? "Astronomical" is not a word with a definitive value of the cost for a record attributed to it. We weren't talking scientifically about economics.

Its crazy how far you go just to create a dramatic scene over people on a vinyl message board discussing what they would prefer to pay for the records they want.

Calm down.

4 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

How can I be wrong about how I felt about a price? "Astronomical" is not a word with a definitive value of the cost for a record attributed to it. We weren't talking scientifically about economics.

Its crazy how far you go just to create a dramatic scene over people on a vinyl message board discussing what they would prefer to pay for the records they want.

Calm down.

Lmao he keeps going. $35 was too much and there is evidence to back it up. The end.

CaLm DoWn 🥱

34 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Every other place on the internet is arguing about the prices that just dropped and we're arguing about 2005 lmao

No, bro. You're  starting drama and arguing with me because my subjective assessment didn't align with your objective assessment and its extremely weird. I wasn't looking to argue. I was just expressing my personal valuation of the costs from 2005 for TMV records and for some reason you took issue with it. Everything I said about prices regarded my personal cost assessment for myself with exception of claims I made of what the actual price tags factually were at that time. The rest was my opinion. I think that would be clear based on the language I used. Seems weird that you needed to meltdown over my personal feelings about money as related to record costs.

You're living up to your namesake real hard right now. Am I just out of the loop? Does everyone  else just know this is your bit? Joke's on me, I guess.

9 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

No, bro. You're  starting drama and arguing with me because my subjective assessment didn't align with your objective assessment and its extremely weird. I wasn't looking to argue. I was just expressing my personal valuation of the costs from 2005 for TMV records and for some reason you took issue with it. Everything I said about prices regarded my personal cost assessment for myself with exception of claims I made of what the actual price tags factually were at that time. The rest was my opinion. I think that would be clear based on the language I used. Seems weird that you needed to meltdown over my personal feelings about money as related to record costs.

You're living up to your namesake real hard right now. Am I just out of the loop? Does everyone  else just know this is your bit? Joke's on me, I guess.

Fuuuuuck bro you're wrong but it'll be alright. I'm the one melting down you definitely right. I really really don't wanna continue this fight. So here's a lil rhyme I consider us tight.

I bought Frances from GSL back in 2005, felt extremely expensive at the time, and got curious with the new release. So I just checked the inflation calculator; $50 in 2005 is equivalent to ~$68 in 2021. The difference is the 2005 was gitd, included FTM/Widow, and came in a red vinyl storage sleeve. 

2 hours ago, isavedlatin54 said:

Did I buy the three I wanted? Yes.

do I hate myself? Yes.

Yea I didn’t get up at fuckin 4am for nothin.

Also this is bad and wasteful but they wanted to charge shipping 3 times so I placed 3 separate orders. Not sneaking money away from me you mfers.

and I’ll happily cancel if they pop up via bullmoose or colored copies via vmp.

Edited by dantheriver

43 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Yea I didn’t get up at fuckin 4am for nothin.

Also this is bad and wasteful but they wanted to charge shipping 3 times so I placed 3 separate orders. Not sneaking money away from me you mfers.

and I’ll happily cancel if they pop up via bullmoose or colored copies via vmp.

I’ll bet they show up 10-20 bucks cheaper anywhere else.