Soon? The Mars Volta

Just saw the announcement on FB. I’m a bit behind. LOL at those prices. Wouldn’t expect anything else from this band though.

Remember when they were against people buying those MOV pressings a few years back and said they were doing their own thing? They wanted you all to wait and spend $60+ per album. And what’s funny is that silver MOV pressing of Deloused is probably a way better product then what they just put up.

Edited by justin_cole12

41 minutes ago, justin_cole12 said:

Just saw the announcement on FB. I’m a bit behind. LOL at those prices. Wouldn’t expect anything else from this band though.

Remember when they were against people buying those MOV pressings a few years back and said they were doing their own thing? They wanted you all to wait and spend $60+ per album. And what’s funny is that silver MOV pressing of Deloused is probably a way better product then what they just put up.

Sure, the prices are way out there. BUT: I have the MOV and the box and oh boy the remaster shits all over the oversized CD MOV put out.  

I don't condone the prices, but credit where credit is due: it sounds like a lot of people are very pleased with the mastering and sound quality on these reissues, even if they're not dummy-thicc 180 gram slabs of wax.  @justin_cole12 is right though, I do remember the band denouncing the MOV press, and it was entirely to sell the fans an "official" press that's overpriced, wringing as many wallets as possible.

2 hours ago, DecayToDeath said:

Funniest thing about the prices to me is that Landscape Tantrums doesn't even have a jacket--that's a printed innersleeve and a disc for like $45 or whatever they're asking

I think that is the jacket, made to look like a worn sleeve.

The funniest thing to me is how deloused and amp are more money than the last two albums as double lp. Bands just saying we know you will be these more so let's charge even more

4 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

I think that is the jacket, made to look like a worn sleeve.

What OP means is that the jacket for Landscape Tantrums isn’t really a jacket, but rather the size and thickness of a printed inner sleeve. Flimsy. 

The set is nice in a bubble, but is a disappointment/overpriced at $500. The comparisons in my collection are the Paramount Records boxes that Third Man did (far and away better quality and more interesting sets for $400 each) and the first edition AOF box (reasonably comparable to this one for less than half the price at CAD $250). So clearly a lot of pocketed profit here that could’ve been put toward a higher-quality product, more extras, etc. 

1 minute ago, DecayToDeath said:

No, I’ve got the box set, it’s a printed inner. Not even a cardboard inner either, one of the thin, magazine-gloss paper types.

I am thinking they must have made real jackets for the solo release... only because of the massive number of damage claims that would ensue otherwise. Maybe attempting to apply to much logic to this, but it seems like even they would recognize shipping a LP in a paper inner is a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, V3XED said:

I am thinking they must have made real jackets for the solo release... only because of the massive number of damage claims that would ensue otherwise. Maybe attempting to apply to much logic to this, but it seems like even they would recognize shipping a LP in a paper inner is a bad idea. 

If they made real jackets for this, then everyone with a box set would complain about them not having done so in the first place. I think it's a toss-up, but leaning towards "wow, they're actually shipping these in printed inners".

57 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

If they made real jackets for this, then everyone with a box set would complain about them not having done so in the first place. I think it's a toss-up, but leaning towards "wow, they're actually shipping these in printed inners".

2 hours ago, V3XED said:

Who the hell knows but we will see in jan of 2022 when they deliver the item!!!!!

On 5/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, fondfarewell said:

What OP means is that the jacket for Landscape Tantrums isn’t really a jacket, but rather the size and thickness of a printed inner sleeve. Flimsy. 

The set is nice in a bubble, but is a disappointment/overpriced at $500. The comparisons in my collection are the Paramount Records boxes that Third Man did (far and away better quality and more interesting sets for $400 each) and the first edition AOF box (reasonably comparable to this one for less than half the price at CAD $250). So clearly a lot of pocketed profit here that could’ve been put toward a higher-quality product, more extras, etc. 

I think the quality of the set is fine as it is. I just think this set as it is could have been priced more like $350 instead of keeping the price as is and making all the components of it heavier.

I really enjoy the way the set came out. I have my critiques over excluding the FTM single and how the two 12" singles could have just been an A and B sides of one 12" single. But in the end I'm glad to have the albums in my favorite format and on my favorite vinyl color.

20 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I think the quality of the set is fine as it is. I just think this set as it is could have been priced more like $350 instead of keeping the price as is and making all the components of it heavier.

I really enjoy the way the set came out. I have my critiques over excluding the FTM single and how the two 12" singles could have just been an A and B sides of one 12" single. But in the end I'm glad to have the albums in my favorite format and on my favorite vinyl color.

I would’ve bought if it was $300-350 for sure but I’ve passed in everything because of the prices.