Soon? The Mars Volta

29 minutes ago, V3XED said:

Hey a quick detour from the hilarity of this business model (and hobby for that matter).

I want this VMP edition quite badly, and want to do my best to *ensure* I get a copy.

So to people with VMP experience....

• Do I need to be signed up "BEFORE" they announce release it to have the best shot?
  • OR... does it make sense to wait until its announced and 'start my membership' with the purchase of that record?

I would hate to have like my slot already filled with some garbage I pick to start my membership right now, or vice versa be excluded from getting the Mars Volta LP because I am just signing up at the time of announcment.

Thanks yall, appreciate your insight

It seems like no one one knows anymore.  That Saba release is the latest ROTM, and it sounds like it's available for new memberships but is on waitlist for existing membership.  Your best bet may be to sign up the moment De-Loused is available, at the end of this month.  Seems to be your best bet but I have no idea how their exclusivity is working these days.

26 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It seems like no one one knows anymore.  That Saba release is the latest ROTM, and it sounds like it's available for new memberships but is on waitlist for existing membership.  Your best bet may be to sign up the moment De-Loused is available, at the end of this month.  Seems to be your best bet but I have no idea how their exclusivity is working these days.

On a recent Instagram post VMP said if you sign up for a 3 month sub now you are guaranteed De-Loused next month 

5 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

On a recent Instagram post VMP said if you sign up for a 3 month sub now you are guaranteed De-Loused next month 

You're also guaranteed on a one month subscription if you sign up for something now before next month. They're just trying to conveniently skip over that. I do think they'll either disable new 1 month subs come June 24th or severely limit them though.

(Given the $43 price it's not a bad idea to undercut the Clouds Hill black pre-order and just sell your black boxset copy for 40 bucks or whatever if you wanna look at them as being shitty for doing these on color vinyl now. Just kind of inconvenient this way, but the hobby.)

9 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

You're also guaranteed on a one month subscription if you sign up for something now before next month. They're just trying to conveniently skip over that. I do think they'll either disable new 1 month subs come June 24th or severely limit them though.

(Given the $43 price it's not a bad idea to undercut the Clouds Hill black pre-order and just sell your black boxset copy for 40 bucks or whatever if you wanna look at them as being shitty for doing these on color vinyl now. Just kind of inconvenient this way, but the hobby.)

Ah thanks for that 

53 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

This is great info right here, but can you elaborate on that?
When  I go to signup it seems i need to "pick" my record that starts the subscription, how can I signup without choosing existing stock, and leave my slot open for Mars Volta? 

Do you just pick any old thing and hot-swap it before it ships?

(edit)  I dont even see the one month option anywhere. Just 3 month

Edited by V3XED

14 minutes ago, V3XED said:

This is great info right here, but can you elaborate on that?
When  I go to signup it seems i need to "pick" my record that starts the subscription, how can I signup without choosing existing stock, and leave my slot open for Mars Volta?

You'll still need to buy something this month, but you can buy basically any older record of the month if you don't like what they have to offer right now. Once you're locked in on the record you bought this month your account should look like this (unless you chose a record that wasn't part of the "essentials" track, make sure you edit your track to this option if you didnt)

Screenshot-20210603-160240-Chrome.jpg

So now it says you're on a autopay plan and will be charged July 1st for the next ROTM which is De-Loused.

You can always play it loose and try to sign up for the next month later this month, but I think they'll make it difficult on purpose so you have to lock 3 months in. Two one month subs are $86 together so you're only spending $6 more anyways on 2 vs buying 3 months for $120. 

Edit: I signed up this month with something I can easily sell to get my money back as well. Tons of VMP stuff can get your whole value back if you don't want to be affected by the principle of signing up a month early for their bullshit.

Edited by Your Ex-Wife

Quick but big thank you to

@Your Ex-Wife@drewberinger & Derek (who I cant @ for some reason)

Appreciate yall taking the time to explain VMP's various offerings and cut through their marketing nonsense.

Got signed up and feeling quite stoked to get my hands on Deloused, (and also grabbed Demon Days too).

Cheers!

I contacted customer service, and a guy switched out Doors for Demon Days for me before they shipped. Not sure if the same would work for you.

Honestly, I might wind up getting the Doors album anyway.... IF the reviews are good. There really isn't a good version of the mono cut available anywhere. But VMP are so hit-or-miss on these, although sometimes they really knock it out of the park (like that Aretha record). Anyway, @MyEnemy, if they get this one right, I'll probably  take that Doors off your hands. 

24 minutes ago, Velocity of Sound said:

I got my stand alone copy of ‘Tremulant’ in the mail today. 
I guess the Clouds Hill didn’t want to lose any of their profits from over charging, because they didn’t even bother to use a LP stuffer. I hope everyone likes split seams. 

I've never been that guy, but I'll raise hell if there is a single dent, ding, split, crease, or dish.

3 hours ago, Velocity of Sound said:

I got my stand alone copy of ‘Tremulant’ in the mail today. 
I guess the Clouds Hill didn’t want to lose any of their profits from over charging, because they didn’t even bother to use a LP stuffer. I hope everyone likes split seams. 

that's soooooooo whack

• 2 weeks later...

Got Tremulant today.  Luckily despite the inadequate packing it arrived mint.

The price is a fucking joke though, basic jacket, standard white inner, single page insert.  that's fucking it.

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'll compare it to this pressing tonight:  https://www.discogs.com/The-Mars-Volta-Tremulant-EP/release/128211