Soon? The Mars Volta

6 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

$1500 by what metric? I have a cobbled together vintage system, several actually, but my main system is an Ortofon Red on a Technics SL-5300 into a Marantz 2270 feeding a pair of Pioneer CS-G301W speakers.

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

The cost to me for all of those components was roughly $1000. Speaker cable cost is negligible. Its fairly heavy gauge from a spool that I'm pretty sure is Monster brand but by no means is it some wild, boutique level component.

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:08
/
Duration 0:08
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
  • eng, selected
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

All of those components, had they been bought brand new around their production years, may have costed well over $4000. Adjust for inflation and... who the fuck knows what anything is actually ever worth?

I was just doing a bit.

11 hours ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

It's not that wild of a number if you're always on the lookout for used deals. My turntable alone was almost that much in the 70s but I got it for free.

Yea I got a $1200 table for like 50% off cuz they were discontinuing the model or something, plus a 2m bronze that was discounted like $150 because it didn't come in the box even tho it was unused. I'm usually too lazy to bother with vintage tables/carts as opposed to speakers and amps, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna pay even close to what new stuff is worth lol

On 7/9/2021 at 8:57 PM, dantheriver said:

Geez can’t we get someone with a $1500 setup in here to do the comparison?

Well, I upgraded my table last year, and that alone costs $2K.

And I just played the MOV gold and the VMP gold pressing, back to back, Record 1 only. 

And they sound basically identical. I mean, I could lie and say the "artist approved" Clouds Hill pressing is more dynamic, or clearer, but honestly.... In a blind test I couldn't tell these apart. They're both cut extremely loud and not much more dynamic than the original CD. Both of them even have surface noise in the same spots. (Beginnings of each side during the quiet parts.)

I mean, this is par for the course for Cedric & Omar, but it's still hilarious they pitched a fit over the MOV reissue, cancelled the FtM MOV release, waited 7 (??) years to do their "official" reissues, and.... They're basically the same. I guess the "back cover" is now the "front cover." GREAT.

I still have the box set sealed, definitely selling that now once prices start going up in a few years.

6 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

I mean, this is par for the course for Cedric & Omar, but it's still hilarious they pitched a fit over the MOV reissue, cancelled the FtM MOV release, waited 7 (??) years to do their "official" reissues, and.... They're basically the same. I guess the "back cover" is now the "front cover." GREAT

This is easily the best part for me.  Just the complete hissy fit they threw in an attempt to smear MOV, compounded with the years of waiting... for a negligibly "superior" – if at all – press of the same record.  Pretty incredible stuff.

Glad to hear the VMP press sounds so good though.  Reading tons of Discogs comments about surface noise but I seldom trust anyone's "review" on that site these days.

Also, seeing how negative that last post sounded, I'll just add....

I haven't listened to this album start-to-finish in quite a while, and crushed mastering aside, it still holds up. "Eriatarka" kicks like a fuckin' mule. Brings back memories. 
I just wish there was a more dynamic master out there somewhere. I'm mostly collecting and listening to 70s and 80s pressings these days and you just can't beat a really good analog rock recording cut well where you can crank it all day.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 5:11 PM, Derek™ said:

This is easily the best part for me.  Just the complete hissy fit they threw in an attempt to smear MOV, compounded with the years of waiting... for a negligibly "superior" – if at all – press of the same record.  Pretty incredible stuff.

Glad to hear the VMP press sounds so good though.  Reading tons of Discogs comments about surface noise but I seldom trust anyone's "review" on that site these days.

I finally listened to my VMP copy. It has very bad surface noise for the first 45 seconds and then the rest of it sounds great. 

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'm starting to believe this band is cursed when it comes to pressing their music.

Either that, or people are freaking out about the normal range of shortcomings that can physically affect vinyl records in general.

My copy has a tolerable level of noise for a $25 release. Since it's a nearly $50 release from VMP, I find it unacceptable. 

5 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'm starting to believe this band is cursed when it comes to pressing their music.

Either that, or people are freaking out about the normal range of shortcomings that can physically affect vinyl records in general.

Mars Volta fans would never freak out about a normal understandable situation like that

10 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Na, it's pretty bad. The first minute of the A/B sides have a horrible static noise. VMP have acknowledged there is an issue, they think it was a stamper problem. They are going to repress. 

2 hours ago, Skacel said:

Na, it's pretty bad. The first minute of the A/B sides have a horrible static noise. VMP have acknowledged there is an issue, they think it was a stamper problem. They are going to repress. 

Is there a statement they posted, or an email saying they’re going to repress it? And will it be for everyone or just those that have sent them emails complaining about the noise?