Soon? The Mars Volta

Just now, Multiverse said:

I still haven't upgraded my booty ass VMP De-Loused, even though they've sent me like 3 

still nervous about their other releases but hoping with a different plant they'll be better quality

Yeah, it seems like the VMP Deloused had SERIOUS quality control issues. I don't think I've even listened all the way through to my CH box Deloused yet. Played side A for sure. That sounded great.

The only one I've actually played from start to finish is FTM.  It sounds fantastic.

Just now, Derek™ said:

The additional visual stimulation at no sacrifice to sound quality.

I mean, I guess. I don't want to get too hung up on a single word "better" but that's really just "variation" to me.

And other than the colored US variants of Landscape Tantrums and I think the colored variant of Tremulant, the prices direct from CH USA shop and the retail prices in the brick and mortar in the US are only a few dollars apart based on what I'm seeing.

1 minute ago, throwgncpr said:

subjective. Many color presses look worse than a nice black copy, imo.

Real TALK! And I'm not just saying that because I'm all about black vinyl across the board. Some colors admittedly look really pretty but I'll still get black if that's an option. But some colors look like a dumpster fire.

5 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Real TALK! And I'm not just saying that because I'm all about black vinyl across the board. Some colors admittedly look really pretty but I'll still get black if that's an option. But some colors look like a dumpster fire.

I bet if a variant was called "dumpster fire" it'd look pretty badass.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Scorpio said:

I bet if a variant was called "dumpster fire" it'd look pretty badass.

Maybe. I'm imagining green, brown, beige, red,  orange and yellow. I'd like to see those get mixed in a way that didn't look like jungle juice and pizza vomit.

Edited by mcpherson123

3 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

subjective. Many color presses look worse than a nice black copy, imo.

Oh yeah, 100%.  But I was under the impression that these Mars Volta records were the only ones in scope of the discussion.  I'll opt for a black press if a variant is truly an eyesore or just nonsensical splatter trash.  But I don't think that's been the case for these TMV colorways.

2 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, I guess. I don't want to get too hung up on a single word "better" but that's really just "variation" to me.

Right.  We've all had that color vs. black vinyl discussion countless times, over the years.  I hadn't assumed your stance on that had changed.  I do get that it's all subjective.  But just glancing at sale prices for virtually every record out there that has a limited colored edition, it's pretty easy to see why it's classified as a perk.  Always the best looking option? – nope.  Always the best sounding option? – no, even less often.  It just seems kind of silly to goad Dan into spelling out that color vinyl is a bonus – to him, subjectively, and many others – when you knew that was exactly what he was getting at. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Oh yeah, 100%.  But I was under the impression that these Mars Volta records were the only ones in scope of the discussion.  I'll opt for a black press if a variant is truly an eyesore or just nonsensical splatter trash.  But I don't think that's been the case for these TMV colorways.

Right.  We've all had that color vs. black vinyl discussion countless times, over the years.  I hadn't assumed your stance on that had changed.  I do get that it's all subjective.  But just glancing at sale prices for virtually every record out there that has a limited colored edition, it's pretty easy to see why it's classified as a perk.  Always the best looking option? – nope.  Always the best sounding option? – no, even less often.  It just seems kind of silly to goad Dan into spelling out that color vinyl is a bonus – to him, subjectively, and many others – when you knew that was exactly what he was getting at. 🤷‍♂️

To be clear I have the black over priced ones and didn’t cry over the additional variants released later. This shit happens all the time so there’s no point in whining over it. I was just sticking my nose in somebody else’s business and answering the question the way I assumed they meant “cheaper and better” or whatever the original post that mcp was questioning.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily have used the word "better" to compare black vs. colored copies.  Maybe "more desirable" – which I get is 100% subjective – but just kind of a given when you look at how vinyl releases work.  There's a reason CH made black copies available way before any colored ones.

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Honestly, I really didn't understand that "better" was being used to describe the color variation. I literally thought there was something I was missing about them beyond anything visual.

I didn't mean to help dredge up another black vs. color debate. It's a tired argument. I don't really care what people like/purchase. I wish there were always a black copy available, but I realize this is a weird/fickle industry.

I did think that McPherson was genuinely curious about audio issues. 34 pages in and I can't remember exactly, but I thought there were some pressing issues with one or more of these releases at some point in the discussion.

Gotcha'.  Well, my bad if McPherson was genuinely perplexed on whether or not the indie versions [variants] contained additional content, packaging, etc.  With the way CH prices their shit, I feel like adding liner notes or prints to colored editions would automatically spike the price up like $10-$15 at Bull Moose, Zia, and so on.

To my knowledge, it was only really the VMP De-Loused that got shafted on the quality front.  I'm pretty sure I've only heard great things about CH's black copies.  Even the indie variants that feature glow in the dark LPs allegedly sound great.

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Even the indie variants that feature glow in the dark LPs allegedly sound great.

ha! I'm going to pass on any glow-in-the-dark records, and I would be highly suspicious of any positive review unless it was from someone I trusted. There are all kinds of glowing reviews for crappy bootlegs and awful sounding records on Discogs...

I still haven't picked any of these up. I would love to grab Tremulant/De-Louse/Frances at some point, but the prices and the way they are trickling out variants are enough to make me lose any motivation.

For the record (pun both intended and not intended), I find every copy of these LP's to be overpriced. Even the Tremulant and LS available in the States are still too expensive for the amount of content but are at least relatively affordable. I know I paid too much for my box but I actually got a really good deal on Towerrecords.com. They had it for significantly cheaper than most other outlets. Sold out super fast though. I got so lucky my order went through.

1 minute ago, Multiverse said:

I still regret not buying the box from Tower at $300 tbh

HA! I was writing my last post as this quote from you was being posted. Yeah, man. I didn't mean to rub salt in that wound. I'm sorry you slept on it. I'm really glad I got mine but I'm super sorry you have that regret.