Soon? The Mars Volta

There’s a video someone took while in the voltacube.  It has the new song playing, although the audio could be better.

The song is short, 3 minutes or so, lots of Latin grooves.  Octahedron-style vocals with the dual harmonies.  Nothing stands out (guitar, drums, bass), but it’s a solid song that seems like a transitional piece more than anything.

1 minute ago, highfives said:

There’s a video someone took while in the voltacube.  It has the new song playing, although the audio could be better.

The song is short, 3 minutes or so, lots of Latin grooves.  Octahedron-style vocals with the dual harmonies.  Nothing stands out (guitar, drums, bass), but it’s a solid song that seems like a transitional piece more than anything.

I'm trying to prevent myself from listening to that recording in the cube since the song should be out by tomorrow. But the hype is pushing me toward the video.

1 hour ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Yeah, I can wait a day to here the song.  Super excited about this though as TMV is one of my all-time favorites.  There's not a weak album in their discography, in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm still reeling from the TAAS reissues and having seen them again for the first time like 12 years so this TMV stuff is slowly breaking through and registering for me. During their first run from '03 to '12 I was ridiculously hype over them. I would buy Japanese versions of their CD's because they would release slightly earlier than the US street date. I was nuts. I still love the old material but I may have worn it out pretty hard. I am super excited to see what a new LP will bring.

2 minutes ago, hxcoliver said:

It’s fucking happening! Damn I’m so stoked!! The new song is absolutely great (but they could never do any wrong in my opinion) cannot wait for the full album and potential tour dates 

After hearing the studio cut, I’m super pumped.  I mean, I was before, but the voltabox phone video didn’t have the best audio. 

Hoping for a preorder tomorrow with the official single release.

5 hours ago, highfives said:

After hearing the studio cut, I’m super pumped.  I mean, I was before, but the voltabox phone video didn’t have the best audio. 

Hoping for a preorder tomorrow with the official single release.

Yeah I skipped out on the video of the box. Didn’t want that to be my first listen. The YouTube version and now official upload are great. Stoked on the new music and can’t wait to hear the rest 

4 hours ago, Jim Steele said:

Cool they’re releasing new music. Curious to see how this single fits into the rest of the album.

Also, I wonder how Clouds Hill will go about handling the vinyl release this time. Overpriced regular black version first, decently priced colored versions after?

I really hope it’s not $65 for a standard LP.

I listened to the leaked youtube upload yesterday a few times and was intrigued but generally underwhelmed. Listened for the first time today with headphones to the official TMV YouTube page audio and the song seriously hit for me. I'm very much into it. I do feel that it could have been longer with a tempo transition or a half time bridge or something to really vary it up but being just what it is, I can really accept and enjoy it as is. Of course I'm the type of fan that if TMV come back, I'm going to have immediate critique of what's happening because of my fanaticism but overall I'm pleasantly surprised on how this track landed and I can't wait to hear more and get the details a full LP if that's what is awaiting us.

31 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I listened to the leaked youtube upload yesterday a few times and was intrigued but generally underwhelmed. Listened for the first time today with headphones to the official TMV YouTube page audio and the song seriously hit for me. I'm very much into it. I do feel that it could have been longer with a tempo transition or a half time bridge or something to really vary it up but being just what it is, I can really accept and enjoy it as is. Of course I'm the type of fan that if TMV come back, I'm going to have immediate critique of what's happening because of my fanaticism but overall I'm pleasantly surprised on how this track landed and I can't wait to hear more and get the details a full LP if that's what is awaiting us.

I listened to the single like 10 times on repeat on my way to work and I noticed a couple of things.  First, it loops back into itself pretty well, so that's fun.  But more importantly, the way it starts and ends make me think it not only comes directly out of a track that proceeds it, but builds into the following track, most likely seamlessly.  

If you listen to the bongos/congas right at the end, they start to do a double time thing and pick up in speed and intensity, like a short build into the next track.   What I'm hoping is they carved out a little 3 minute breather that was a nice, solid tune they could carve off as a lead-in single.

I know they've done abrupt cuts, intros, and outros on other albums, so I could be way off, but that's what I'm hoping; banger>3 minute tune>banger

1 hour ago, highfives said:

I listened to the single like 10 times on repeat on my way to work and I noticed a couple of things.  First, it loops back into itself pretty well, so that's fun.  But more importantly, the way it starts and ends make me think it not only comes directly out of a track that proceeds it, but builds into the following track, most likely seamlessly.  

If you listen to the bongos/congas right at the end, they start to do a double time thing and pick up in speed and intensity, like a short build into the next track.   What I'm hoping is they carved out a little 3 minute breather that was a nice, solid tune they could carve off as a lead-in single.

I know they've done abrupt cuts, intros, and outros on other albums, so I could be way off, but that's what I'm hoping; banger>3 minute tune>banger

I had a similar thought. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears it that way.

2 hours ago, highfives said:

I thought the same thing too thag it’s going to lead into something a bit more upbeat and banging. Especially that it picks up right at the end and just abruptly cuts off. Let’s hope we’re right. 

• 1 month later...

New album :

spacer.png

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0B72B3NRC/

09/16/2022

1 - Blacklight Shine

2 - Graveyard Love

3 - Shore Story

4 - Blank Condolences

5 - Vigil

6 - Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon

7 - Cerulea