Soon? The Mars Volta

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, At The Mars Spartamasque said:

WHAT is with those physical media prices????

How the fuck much more does being kinetic need to boost the premium on a single LP out here? 

I'll buy this for $29.99 max if I see it for that much or less somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

The new song makes me question my tickets the LA show. And now you want me to preorder $40 single LP. You have gone a step too far, good sirs.  

Vigil ? Listened to it this morning... 🤢 I'm quite sure Incubus (to name one) took them by both hands to the hell of lost bands... They should have stopped it really earlier or like Antemasque, don't call it Mars Volta, by respect.

Yeah that song sucks, cliche maroon 5 sounding shit...

And after paying stupid dollars for the reissues from clouds hill then to have a million variants available everywhere way cheaper... there is zero chance I'll preorder this at 40 euro plus shipping.

So, the difference between the “kinetic” version from the cloudshill store and the regular version is the gold foil cover? 

I’m also not crazy about the newest song. The first two singles were decent, but so far the new album hasn’t been quite what I was hoping for. Oh well. 

15 minutes ago, achillesstand7 said:

So, the difference between the “kinetic” version from the cloudshill store and the regular version is the gold foil cover? 

I’m also not crazy about the newest song. The first two singles were decent, but so far the new album hasn’t been quite what I was hoping for. Oh well. 

I found this response helpful on this post - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg4GezpAtLo/

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Multiverse said:

Happy TMV are back while also accepting it's unlikely I'm gonna dig this record based on the singles

pretty much the same way I didn't care for Antemasque+ATDI reunion

I wish I didn’t like this post but it’s nearly spot on after the three singles just kept sliding further with each one.

I liked Blacklight, as while different was still kind of creepy or dark in its own right and could have been a lighter song on the album similar to The Widow, but no, it doesn’t sound like it at this point.

3 hours ago, Multiverse said:

Happy TMV are back while also accepting it's unlikely I'm gonna dig this record based on the singles

I think the only thing more surprising than a new Mars Volta album in 2022 is the fact that anyone thought it would be remotely good.  But I also say this as someone who thought their discography really nosedived as it went on.  Had zero expectations when I heard they were releasing new music, and so far it sounds like indifference was probably the right move.

On 8/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, throwgncpr said:

I really only care for the first couple TMV records, so I wasn't expecting much. I actually liked the first single, but the new track is laughably bad. I expected this to be a pass for me. Didn't quite expect that though.

You know, even understanding as a long time huge TMV fan how much "Vigil" might have been jarring to other TMV fans, I really don't understand why its THAT bad to everyone. I know its like the antithesis of "Tetragrammaton" and that is one of my favorites songs specifically because it is so bloated and wild and excessively long and all that but still, I find it hard to understand why "Vigil" was the line for so many.

That said, the second two singles together are making it difficult for me to commit to pre-ordering this along with the excessive cost of even being in the price range that I earlier stated I would probably be comfortable paying. I'm not saying those songs are the worst thing on Earth but taken together with the cost, its just not inspiring me to put down even an agreeable amount of money for it.

So I don't know. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet on a whim one of these days. I imagine this won't be too hard to come by if I wait for it to show up in physical stores but who knows.

3 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

You know, even understanding as a long time huge TMV fan how much "Vigil" might have been jarring to other TMV fans, I really don't understand why its THAT bad to everyone. I know its like the antithesis of "Tetragrammaton" and that is one of my favorites songs specifically because it is so bloated and wild and excessively long and all that but still, I find it hard to understand why "Vigil" was the line for so many.

That said, the second two singles together are making it difficult for me to commit to pre-ordering this along with the excessive cost of even being in the price range that I earlier stated I would probably be comfortable paying. I'm not saying those songs are the worst thing on Earth but taken together with the cost, its just not inspiring me to put down even an agreeable amount of money for it.

So I don't know. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet on a whim one of these days. I imagine this won't be too hard to come by if I wait for it to show up in physical stores but who knows.

If it’s anything like all the other reissues, we’ll see this for a very affordable price in a couple of months.

1 hour ago, highfives said:

If it’s anything like all the other reissues, we’ll see this for a very affordable price in a couple of months.

Yeah, I've seen it for as low as $26-ish which is way better than $40.99 even though I understand the CH "Kinetic" edition is supposedly different from the retail one due to a reflective gold foil cover which is not worth double the cost of a standard single LP at all. I don't know. I can see myself liking the album if it ends up feeling more like "Black Light Shine" than the other two songs overall. I'm being super picky about spending the money on this or saving it for anything else that I already know I like which is not normal for me but money has gotten tighter. Sucks.

• 1 month later...

Well it's TMV release day. 

My vinyl pre-order shipped out yesterday.  I guess I accidentally ordered from the Europe Clouds Hill site instead of US so it'll be a hot minute before I get my copy. 

Listening to the album this morning though and I've got to say I'm pretty satisfied so far.  To me, it doesn't sound like anything TMV has ever done.  Definitely doesn't have the energy of Deloused, Frances and Bedlam.  I would say it's most closely resembling of Octahedron and Noctourniquet.  I'm a big fan of those albums just as much as the high-energy TMV so it works out fine for me.