Soon? The Mars Volta

2 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Well it's TMV release day. 

My vinyl pre-order shipped out yesterday.  I guess I accidentally ordered from the Europe Clouds Hill site instead of US so it'll be a hot minute before I get my copy. 

Listening to the album this morning though and I've got to say I'm pretty satisfied so far.  To me, it doesn't sound like anything TMV has ever done.  Definitely doesn't have the energy of Deloused, Frances and Bedlam.  I would say it's most closely resembling of Octahedron and Noctourniquet.  I'm a big fan of those albums just as much as the high-energy TMV so it works out fine for me.

I’ve listen to it a couple of times now, and while I don’t love it, I like it enough to keep it in rotation. It is very different overall. Yes, there are textures, motifs, rhythms, guitar licks, and of course, Cedric’s vocals that sound familiar, it really doesn’t bear any substantial resemblance to past TMV albums.

Playing the Atmos stream forced into my 2 channel setup it sounds very clean, detailed, punchy but still laid back enough to not blow out the experience.  

I’ll prob get it on vinyl eventually.

Edited by kannibal

• 4 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, Vega said:

Can anyone explain why the kinetic edition costs 40 dollars? I've seen photos of it being a single sleeve, single LP edition with just a one-fold-lyric-sheet. Like, 40 dollars are kind of insane for that or am I missing something? The gold cover looks beautiful, but it should be 30 max.

Seems to be literally just for the gold foil cover. Complete idiocy.

58 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Seems to be literally just for the gold foil cover. Complete idiocy.

Yikes. If it were at least a little bit limited, they have currently more than 2000 left in stock in the european store and more than 8000 in the american store. Like, how are they planning to ever sell all of these? That and the price point make this kind of a bummer, plus I'm just now starting to kind of get a grip on this record.

5 minutes ago, Vega said:

Yikes. If it were at least a little bit limited, they have currently more than 2000 left in stock in the european store and more than 8000 in the american store. Like, how are they planning to ever sell all of these? That and the price point make this kind of a bummer, plus I'm just now starting to kind of get a grip on this record.

I feel you. I would just grab a copy from a non-label site or brick and mortar store if you have ones near you. That's what I'm planning on doing. I just can't bring myself to buy it yet based on what I've heard.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

Maybe the song or the 12" Frances the Mute will be included this time making it one of the selling points? Judging from Cloud Hills' release policy it would not surprise me to see even a new 3LP reissue of that album with the track included instead of the etching...

So, I just picked up the FTM RSD release (single 12"). I'm going to see if it fits in the box later. I know it will if I remove the book but that idea really irritates me. Either way, stoked to have it finally.

6 hours ago, greenbeck said:

Unfortunately this link isn't loading for me. Can you share the page title that you're on so I can look it up on my own? Or a screenshot?