Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

$35 was astronomical when that came out though. 2xLPs were $14-19 in 2005.

Yup. I vividly remember passing on it for 35€. I also no longer trust myself in any half-important issues since I  passed on it when it was on clearance for 15€ two years later, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Credit to @Your Ex-Wife for the idea on this one. )

They check everyone’s Last.fm and decide by Volta scrobbles per capita. 

Statistically speaking, if "prog[ressive]" is located within any 1 of the first 3 genre descriptors that come to mind for a band, there's an 87% chance the general fanbase will be insufferable.

10 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, that was a triple LP. To me, that wasn't astronomical and I was way stingier with my money then. The $50 glow in the dark seemed almost astronomical to me at the time. And I'm pretty sure FTM went from around $25 to $35 on GSL direct.

 

So many times around 2005 to 2006 I almost bought Deloused and Frances directly from GSL for their original retail prices and just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. I later paid way more for all those albums including the GITD.

How is $35 not astronomical when other triple LPs were $20-25? It wasn't common for artists to have the balls to sell vinyl for a 50%+ markup back then and FtM sat around getting dusty for years because of it. It was only $25 when it would go on clearance. A lot went on clearance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Yup. I vividly remember passing on it for 35€. I also no longer trust myself in any half-important issues since I  passed on it when it was on clearance for 15€ two years later, though. 

Exactly. I bought mine the second time though lol. It bought me many more records when I sold it too ha

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, inflation is one aspect but there are still plenty of small labels putting out high quality 2xLP's for around $20 to $25. I don't think inflation alone can determine the going rate for records.

I certainly agree and the lack of poly lined sleeves on these TMV records just hurts even more when you look at the price, so I'm really interested to see how much it will be without the shipping cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

How is $35 not astronomical when other triple LPs were $20-25? It wasn't common for artists to have the balls to sell vinyl for a 50%+ markup back then and FtM sat around getting dusty for years because of it. It was only $25 when it would go on clearance. A lot went on clearance.

I mean, its subjective how people feel about the cost of something against their own comfort level in spending. I didn't find $35 for a 3xLP to be astronomical. I just didn't buy it because as at the time I had a phobia about spending money on things for myself that were not necessities like clothes, etc. And yeah, it was on clearance from time to time for less.

 

I don't recall a ton of 3xLP releases and their prices around that time. General price points of different formats had a lot to do with the popularity of the band and the size of the label as they tend to today. Also different retailers had many different prices for the same product often. I remember different stores had OP copies of Amputechture priced at anywhere from $17 to $30 between 2006 and 2009.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, its subjective how people feel about the cost of something against their own comfort level in spending. I didn't find $35 for a 3xLP to be astronomical. I just didn't buy it because as at the time I had a phobia about spending money on things for myself that were not necessities like clothes, etc. And yeah, it was on clearance from time to time for less.

 

I don't recall a ton of 3xLP releases and their prices around that time. General price points of different formats had a lot to do with the popularity of the band and the size of the label as they tend to today. Also different retailers had many different prices for the same product often. I remember different stores had OP copies of Amputechture priced at anywhere from $17 to $30 between 2006 and 2009.

 Whatever man "it's subjective and worth it to me though" isn't an argument. Geogaddi was $20 or less when it released. Now represses are $30. This band just be like that and it's always been annoying. They aren't popular either. Stores had copies that cheap because nobody bought them. Gold Standard Labs folded after 3 TMV albums because their business model was terrible.

Edited by Your Ex-Wife
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

 Whatever man "it's subjective and worth it to me though" isn't an argument. Geogaddi was $20 or less when it released. Now represses are $30. This band just be like that and it's always been annoying. They aren't popular either. Stores had copies that cheap because nobody bought them. Gold Standard Labs folded after 3 TMV albums because their business model was terrible.

Sorry.  I didn't realize we were applying proper Economics by the book to our discussion of how much records should cost. Part of what things cost is a reading on how much people are willing to spend. Sometimes that factor is ignored when a product is priced. I was only talking about how I felt about the cost of that record at the time. It seemed justified to me then and it seems more than justified to me now. Its just a shame its no longer available at that price that I would happily pay today for that record.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcpherson123 said:

Sorry.  I didn't realize we were applying proper Economics by the book to our discussion of how much records should cost. Part of what things cost is a reading on how much people are willing to spend. Sometimes that factor is ignored when a product is priced. I was only talking about how I felt about the cost of that record at the time. It seemed justified to me then and it seems more than justified to me now. Its just a shame its no longer available at that price that I would happily pay today for that record.

It's crazy how far you go just to avoid admitting you were wrong about a sensible price tag in 2005

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

It's crazy how far you go just to avoid admitting you were wrong about a sensible price tag in 2005

 

14 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

 I didn't find $35 for a 3xLP to be astronomical.

How can I be wrong about how I felt about a price? "Astronomical" is not a word with a definitive value of the cost for a record attributed to it. We weren't talking scientifically about economics.

 

Its crazy how far you go just to create a dramatic scene over people on a vinyl message board discussing what they would prefer to pay for the records they want.

 

Calm down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

 

How can I be wrong about how I felt about a price? "Astronomical" is not a word with a definitive value of the cost for a record attributed to it. We weren't talking scientifically about economics.

 

Its crazy how far you go just to create a dramatic scene over people on a vinyl message board discussing what they would prefer to pay for the records they want.

 

Calm down.

Lmao he keeps going. $35 was too much and there is evidence to back it up. The end.

 

CaLm DoWn 🥱

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Every other place on the internet is arguing about the prices that just dropped and we're arguing about 2005 lmao

No, bro. You're  starting drama and arguing with me because my subjective assessment didn't align with your objective assessment and its extremely weird. I wasn't looking to argue. I was just expressing my personal valuation of the costs from 2005 for TMV records and for some reason you took issue with it. Everything I said about prices regarded my personal cost assessment for myself with exception of claims I made of what the actual price tags factually were at that time. The rest was my opinion. I think that would be clear based on the language I used. Seems weird that you needed to meltdown over my personal feelings about money as related to record costs.

 

You're living up to your namesake real hard right now. Am I just out of the loop? Does everyone  else just know this is your bit? Joke's on me, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

No, bro. You're  starting drama and arguing with me because my subjective assessment didn't align with your objective assessment and its extremely weird. I wasn't looking to argue. I was just expressing my personal valuation of the costs from 2005 for TMV records and for some reason you took issue with it. Everything I said about prices regarded my personal cost assessment for myself with exception of claims I made of what the actual price tags factually were at that time. The rest was my opinion. I think that would be clear based on the language I used. Seems weird that you needed to meltdown over my personal feelings about money as related to record costs.

 

You're living up to your namesake real hard right now. Am I just out of the loop? Does everyone  else just know this is your bit? Joke's on me, I guess.

Fuuuuuck bro you're wrong but it'll be alright. I'm the one melting down you definitely right. I really really don't wanna continue this fight. So here's a lil rhyme I consider us tight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Frances from GSL back in 2005, felt extremely expensive at the time, and got curious with the new release. So I just checked the inflation calculator; $50 in 2005 is equivalent to ~$68 in 2021. The difference is the 2005 was gitd, included FTM/Widow, and came in a red vinyl storage sleeve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, isavedlatin54 said:

Did I buy the three I wanted? Yes.

do I hate myself? Yes.

Yea I didn’t get up at fuckin 4am for nothin.

 

Also this is bad and wasteful but they wanted to charge shipping 3 times so I placed 3 separate orders. Not sneaking money away from me you mfers.

 

and I’ll happily cancel if they pop up via bullmoose or colored copies via vmp.

Edited by dantheriver
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×

oh my wow GIF by ESPN Deportes

 

Please disable AdBlock OR sign-in in order to be able to access our website...

I Understand, I'll disable it for this website