Furnace Fest 2021

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering making the trek from the Philly area.  The Decibel Metal & Beer Fest got re-scheduled for this same weekend in Philly....and that is Converge (my favorite band) playing Jane Doe.  So it's a tough call.  My guess is that the decision will be taken out of my hands long before either of these events takes place.

• 5 weeks later...

Even more excited now with the addition of Walls of Jericho

So far I am all excited and in to see:

Friday:

Cave In

Converge

Every Time I Die

From Autumn To Ashes

Glasseater

Zao

Saturday:

Bloodjinn

The Darling Fire

Further Seems Forever

Poison The Well

Shai Hulud

Touche Amore

Sunday:

As Friends Rust

Be Well

Boy Sets Fire

Darkest Hour

The Get Up Kids

Hatebreed

Hot Water Music

The Juliana Theory

• 1 month later...

so, that ZAO show at the record store is my buddy's store.   he used to be on this board actually as danalive (i think that was his name on here).  i'm not sure how that is gonna go, he's had plenty of shows at all of his locations, but this will definitely be the biggest show there....worried the store is gonna get thrashed.    rad store though, Tim Kerr did some murals of Sun Ra inside of it, he's got plenty of stuff for everyone's tastes in new and used.

that Norma Jean show is at a larger venue in bham, a large open floor pit with standing room raised around it and plenty of seats and a balcony (if they have it open).   their soundsystem is pretty damn great.   seen a ton of shows there from all different genres and they all have sounded great.

y'all enjoy

From what’s been posted & discussed in the Fest’s FB groups, they said tix for the pre-show at Seasick are extremely limited due to the space.  So hopefully it won’t be packed & no damage to be done. And I’ll assume that some rules will be in place to avoid wrecking the place. 

13 hours ago, birdwell said:

so, that ZAO show at the record store is my buddy's store.   he used to be on this board actually as danalive (i think that was his name on here).  i'm not sure how that is gonna go, he's had plenty of shows at all of his locations, but this will definitely be the biggest show there....worried the store is gonna get thrashed.    rad store though, Tim Kerr did some murals of Sun Ra inside of it, he's got plenty of stuff for everyone's tastes in new and used.

Total aside, but thanks for the info; I’m visiting my parents in BHam and was unaware of this place. I lived in town a couple decades ago and used to hit up Magic Platter (and Optic Nerve for my weirdo movie rental needs) but couldn’t find any decent place to hit as of a few years ago when I went back to town.

5 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Total aside, but thanks for the info; I’m visiting my parents in BHam and was unaware of this place. I lived in town a couple decades ago and used to hit up Magic Platter (and Optic Nerve for my weirdo movie rental needs) but couldn’t find any decent place to hit as of a few years ago when I went back to town.

my old boss used to manage Magic Platter!!! Bryan Peters if you remember him.   Seasick is your spot, if i remember correctly Charlamagne finally shut down, sadly.    Seasick is over in Avondale (which is the most recent part of BHam to be gentrified)

14 hours ago, jhulud said:

From what’s been posted & discussed in the Fest’s FB groups, they said tix for the pre-show at Seasick are extremely limited due to the space.  So hopefully it won’t be packed & no damage to be done. And I’ll assume that some rules will be in place to avoid wrecking the place. 

my fingers are crossed.   the locals that show up will be fine, buuuuuut there will be loads of folks from out of town that just might not give a damn.   hope he's up to date on his insurance

21 hours ago, smailtronic said:

Got a ticket to Zao and I promise not to tear up your buddy's store 🤣

Note to self, come in a day early to visit Seasick beforehand, just in case.

hahahahaha, well played!    i saw that this show, not terribly surprisingly, has already sold out.    y'all enjoy!

i am curious as to how many tickets they had up for grabs.   also, tickets to this fest are a little outrageous (to me at least).   i realize it is a solid line-up, but i feel it's more expensive than festivals with the same number of artists playing.    also, as Scott pointed out....it is in Alabama

2 hours ago, birdwell said:

i am curious as to how many tickets they had up for grabs.   also, tickets to this fest are a little outrageous (to me at least).   i realize it is a solid line-up, but i feel it's more expensive than festivals with the same number of artists playing.    also, as Scott pointed out....it is in Alabama

before they added the third stage, it was only 3000 tickets. Maybe 5000 now? 

33 minutes ago, dreamover said:

this is why i was thinking ear plugs :)

ear plugs are a solid solid choice.   not that anybody gives a shit, but i had a hearing test a couple of months ago and i still have perfect hearing after as many shows as i have attended, shows i have played, and after working in music venues for years.....all because of earplugs.   i still get made fun of for wearing them at 38 and i still don't give a fuck because i can hear shit that none of my friends can

Edited by birdwell
grammar

• 3 weeks later...

Snagged 3 day pass tickets hours before they sold out. Anyone know if the Further Seems Forever lineup is with Chris or Jason?

My personal hype train:

Friday:

18v (have liked them since like 2002 - never seen live)

Emery

ETID

FATA

Terminal (I was a big fan of Goodbye Tomorrow before and when Travis was in the band - maybe some Goodbye Tomorrow thrown in??)

Thursday (fan since 2002 never seen live)

underoath

Saturday:

Anberlin

Cartel

Evergreen Terrace 

Further Seems Forever (somehow have never seen them - long time fan)

He Is Legend

Mae

mwY

Misery Signals

Poison The Well

Shai Hulud 

Taking Back Sunday

Sunday:

ABR

Copeland

Darkest Hour

Fit For A King