PO - The Weeknd - House of Balloons Anniversary Edition

59 minutes ago, McCandless said:

People keep buying it.

This is insane.

im sure they are justifying it by saying by the time this ships in march 2022, the value of this will be much more than $100, and then want to flip it. cause honestly, that's the only demographic thats buying this right now. flippers. the average fan that just wants this on a $40 press probably isnt gonna be able to afford this. 

I was ready and excited for this upcoming press and was gonna PO, but like @zuck said not $100 and 1 year wait excited.  

Edited by tokimedo

This whole thing was a trainwreck. They announced this to the music press a few days ago and they all reported it as being limited to 1k which generated a bunch of hype. Daniel Arsham who did the cover confirmed only 1k would be produced. The Weeknd's email blast about it which was sent today also advertised it as limited to 1k. And when it went on onsale a few hours ago it said that "ONLY ONE THOUSAND COPIES WILL BE PRODUCED". Their capitalization, not mine. It said that for around 15 minutes. Then they removed that text and the purchase limit. I bought one right away figuring I could justify the $100 by having a cover done by Arsham that there were only 1k of. But I'll be cancelling this order unless they announce something special for the first 1k. I'll be glad to just have the regular $40 version with the samples finally.

Edited by fish

51 minutes ago, zuck said:

I made the prediction in The Offspring thread, this is all part of the vinyl bubble bursting.

IDK man. We’ve been talking for a decade about the vinyl bubble bursting. I don’t think it’s really a thing. 

if every record gets to $40-$60 for a basic ass black pressing in direct to board, sure. But these $100 releases, picture discs, throwaway junk RSD releases, they are the outliers. 

I think most records selling are the real deal. 

30 minutes ago, fish said:

This whole thing was a trainwreck. They announced this to the music press a few days ago and they all reported it as being limited to 1k which generated a bunch of hype. Daniel Arsham who did the cover confirmed only 1k would be produced. The Weeknd's email blast about it which was sent today also advertised it as limited to 1k. And when it went on onsale a few hours ago it said that "ONLY ONE THOUSAND COPIES WILL BE PRODUCED". Their capitalization, not mine. It said that for around 15 minutes. Then they removed that text and the purchase limit. I bought one right away figuring I could justify the $100 by having a cover done by Arsham that there were only 1k of. But I'll be cancelling this order unless they announce something special for the first 1k. I'll be glad to just have the regular $40 version with the samples finally.

ok wow

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

You guys realize this is just major-label bullshit, right?  

def major label bullshit if ive ever seen it. 

also. is the $40 black version the exact same audio as this Daniel Arsham collab? I was led to believe it was different. Otherwise ill just grab that. 

21 minutes ago, tokimedo said:

also. is the $40 black version the exact same audio as this Daniel Arsham collab? I was led to believe it was different. Otherwise ill just grab that. 

Pretty sure it is the same. Just an extra $60 for a different cover and clear LPs. So the $40 10th anniverary one should also have the original samples that were missing from the other pressings of this.

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

IDK man. We’ve been talking for a decade about the vinyl bubble bursting. I don’t think it’s really a thing. 
I think most records selling are the real deal. 

I'm just saying, with more bands offering 8+ variants to PO & the price of some of these vinyl releases, it has the feel of  sports cards in the 90's or the comics industry to me.

35 minutes ago, zuck said:

Yeah, that's the one. The same one that almost completely died for over 10 years because of oversaturation.

So about the same lull that records went through in 1990s?  Neither industry popped, just went down and then steadily grew back up.  Its more ebs and flows, no bursts.  

1 hour ago, fish said:

From the looks of the page source they have sold over 11k of the $100 double LPs  in just 6 hours. Unbelievable.

They also just now removed the part that said the 1st 1k would ship in Sept and now it just says they will all ship in March 2022.

Ho. Ly. Shit. 

To me, the cover appears to be a thick art piece with crystals embedded/jutting out.  I briefly glanced at the artist’s webstore and saw a bunch of different pieces with the same crystal aesthetic (note: all showing sold out). I’m curious if the clear LPs are actually held inside the art piece or not? Also wondering if the clear LPs ship separately from the crystal cover?  Perhaps I’m overthinking all of this.

I still want to know why it’s gonna take a year for either version. Is that Universal just hedging on delays because there always seems to be delays with their pre-orders ( but it’s not like he is signing these), or are they forecasting that there will be a glut of pressings and figure the current 6 month lead time will stretch to a year by the time this gets mastered and cut.

or is that where the industry is right now. (Though all signs seem to be it’s still 6 months)