PO - The Weeknd - House of Balloons Anniversary Edition

4 hours ago, twatay said:

To me, the cover appears to be a thick art piece with crystals embedded/jutting out.  I briefly glanced at the artist’s webstore and saw a bunch of different pieces with the same crystal aesthetic (note: all showing sold out). I’m curious if the clear LPs are actually held inside the art piece or not? Also wondering if the clear LPs ship separately from the crystal cover?  Perhaps I’m overthinking all of this.

You are, it will be in a regular jacket with the crystals printed on it. Otherwise there would be another zero on the price.

The only way $100 and one year of waiting would be justifiable, in my opinion, is if the jacket was made of some extra dense cardboard (or plastic) that housed the LPs, and featured 3D printing to achieve the same emboss and depth effects featured in the mockup.  Would actually be really impressive to have the clear LP peeking through the damaged bits.

43 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

The only way $100 and one year of waiting would be justifiable, in my opinion, is if the jacket was made of some extra dense cardboard (or plastic) that housed the LPs, and featured 3D printing to achieve the same emboss and depth effects featured in the mockup.  Would actually be really impressive to have the clear LP peeking through the damaged bits.

id pay $100 for that. 

I ended up caving and got the regular version. came out to $50 shipped. Feels stupid participating in a 1 year PO but..i also hate myself so it works out.

lots can happen in a year, excited for the ride ahead lmfao plz kill me 

On 3/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, stl_ben said:

You mean the sports cards industry that is arguably as popular now as it ever was.

The same sports card industry that went bust because they were selling "limited" cards that were secretly being produced in unlimited quantities?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that sounds a LOT like this situation. 

While I don't think this is a sign of the vinyl industry bubble bursting, I do think it's absurd to pay that much for a record - especially for someone like The Weeknd, whose middle-of-the-road pop music won't be remembered as anything but middle-of-the-road pop music in 20 years. 

Ah, they charged so much because they knew they'd have to face the wrath of reddit rubes who started collecting during the pandemic. This release was stupid but imagine being like this in real life. Yes, fucking Universal are doing this as a ploy to steal your money for no product. FUCK NEW VINYL BUYERS. I don't give a shit if 1 in 10 isn't insufferable and a burden on the hobby I'd rather nobody new start collecting from here on out. Close the registration button IRL and give it 5 years to settle. Fuck.

Screenshot-20210326-130444-Reddit.jpg