PO SOON: The Bronx - VI

2 hours ago, birdwell said:

just got their webstore version.   still feel dumb for missing out on III and MEB III vinyl.   i know there has to be some copies of V in some record shops somewhere out there for retail still.   I'll eventually fill in the gaps i suppose

Hey, so funny story. I was at my local shop Sunday and finally picked up V, because I was in the same boat. Got home and realized I already had V, so now I got two. 

If you want it, let me know. They also had a copy of MEB III, so I could send ya both. Can’t help with Bronx III though. 

23 minutes ago, zuck said:

I guess it helps I'm not really into 7" vinyl.

I’ve been very curious about this lately. Is this because you’re in your 20s or because you didn’t start collecting until 5 years ago? 

A part of what made me, an actual human and, a collector are 7”s. I see all you dingbats complain about them constantly and it’s fucking bewildering to me. 

4 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I’ve been very curious about this lately. Is this because you’re in your 20s or because you didn’t start collecting until 5 years ago? 

A part of what made me, an actual human and, a collector are 7”s. I see all you dingbats complain about them constantly and it’s fucking bewildering to me. 

I’ve been collecting for over 20 years, and I’m not huge on them, either. 

11 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I've been collecting for close to 15 years & I have about 30 or so. Unless they have non-album tracks on them, they just never appealed to me.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Edited by zuck

8 minutes ago, zuck said:

Unless they have non-album tracks on them, they just never appealed to me.

Yeah, this is the whole point.

I guess the more and more I’ve been around here the more I’m noticing  people on here don’t come from a “traditional punk” background or are newer collectors and don’t have and appreciation for the format. Those stupid little things are what built all of this and, personally, what make this whole thing still beat. But whatever...

i feel like that argument doesn't really apply anymore.    the reason punk/hardcore built it's rep on 7"s is because they were blasting out quick songs and the 7" format was a cheaper and more effective/efficient way of delivering said music.    the price of 7"s has priced this out of being useful for that argument.   there also used to be exclusive b-sides on 7" singles...which would also warrant their purchase.    i'm older, have been collecting for 20+ years, and i do not buy that argument for the 7" in the year 2021

14 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

I guess the more and more I’ve been around here the more I’m noticing  people on here don’t come from a “traditional punk” background or are newer collectors and don’t have and appreciation for the format. Those stupid little things are what built all of this and, personally, what make this whole thing still beat. But whatever...

I dunno man, you also gotta take into consideration that the cost of 7"s and LPs has doubled and in some cases tripled over the last 15 years. Also kinda seems like bands feel the same way because 7"s aren't as common as they used to be. I'll still grab them here and there but it's mostly just to support the artist or label putting them out.

Also it seems like The Bronx are similar to Glassjaw in that they don't make their material easy to get on vinyl. More than likely a licensing thing. I still want that damn rumored LP boxset they hinted at like a decade ago!

16 minutes ago, zuck said:

Apologies for not being punk enough for you. You truly are my better. I will now cancel my pre-order & burn all of my records. I mean thats pretty punk, right? Right?!

Did I say that? I’m just trying to figure out why everyone hates a viable and essential format that, I feel, is still very crucial. 

The fact that you were offended by me saying what I did or me trying to figure out why anyone who’s been in this for a circumstantial amount of time would dislike a simple format, is all on you. I come from a place that that’s what all we had and all we could make, therefore I do still love them and think they have a pertinent place in mine and all collections.

16 minutes ago, birdwell said:

i feel like that argument doesn't really apply anymore.    the reason punk/hardcore built it's rep on 7"s is because they were blasting out quick songs and the 7" format was a cheaper and more effective/efficient way of delivering said music.    the price of 7"s has priced this out of being useful for that argument.   there also used to be exclusive b-sides on 7" singles...which would also warrant their purchase.    i'm older, have been collecting for 20+ years, and i do not buy that argument for the 7" in the year 2021

I’m not sure you’re looking in the right place for music in 2021. Would you rather buy a cassette with 12 minutes worth of music on it? I will agree that buying an $8 isn’t ideal, especially with $6 shipping, but I like and want what I like and I’m not going to be dismissive about getting my fat ass off the couch every 6 minutes to flip a record.

Edited by MyEnemy

Just now, MyEnemy said:

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:01
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:18

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

I’m not sure you’re looking in the right place for music in 2021. Would you rather buy a cassette with 12 minutes worth of music on it? I will agree that buying an $8 ideal, but I like and want what I like and I want and I’m not going to be dismissive about getting my fat ass off the couch every 6 minutes to flip a record.

my local record store?  online distros?   direct from bands/labels?   are you still finding sub $5 7"s, if yes, where?   i have a butt load of cassettes sitting to my left right now that i play daily while i'm at work.     i'm definitely not against getting up to flip a record (7",  10", 12").   nobody is against you being into 7" records.    but for me, if i'm looking at $8 for a single...especially one that's part of a record without a b-side....vs even $20-$25 it just doesn't make much sense to me.     i think saying that people who don't get into 7"s is strange, that should just leave more for you to enjoy, yeah?

15 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I dunno man, you also gotta take into consideration that the cost of 7"s and LPs has doubled and in some cases tripled over the last 15 years. Also kinda seems like bands feel the same way because 7"s aren't as common as they used to be. I'll still grab them here and there but it's mostly just to support the artist or label putting them out.

Seeing the 7” (sort of) die, first hand, I know that it’s very hard to try and create and push nowadays. Price points that have been created and escalated shipping rates aren’t helping. But I’m still buying music that’s specific to this format and I will continue to. What’s definitely not helping is folks not buying them for whatever reason. I’m trying to figure out why that is. 

But yeah, give me that fucking Bronx box set. 

44 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

It depends on so many things, already said and mentioned.
1. Does it contain non-album tracks? If not, just put on the 12" and skip to the singles if that's what you want. I have a limited budget for vinyl and alternate artwork isn't enough for me.

2. The price. The first few 7" records I bought were $5, or about $10 shipped. Even that was questionable. Now it's closer to $15-18 shipped depending on the label behind it. Rather pay a little more for 4x the songs.
3. Future price. I don't really collect to sell, but it's nice to think that I can sell records at price or more if I needed to. Trade for something I want more, etc. Every time I've listed 7" records, unless they are rare or an important band (like the Circa Survive 7"s) no one gives a damn and they always sell last.
4. Listening. I have about 100 7"s now and I rarely get to them. I work from home, but my TT is another room. I'd love to blast metal and hardcore to the other room, but I have neighbors who also WFH. In addition to that, I have babies that like to nap, etc etc. I get to listen to 1-2 records a day max, often while cooking dinner or cleaning so I have to wash my hands and dry off every few minutes to flip a 7". Not fun.

In this case, if there is a B-side to these 7"s I'm in, otherwise, I'll stick to the LP.

Edited by MCDELTAT

Orange variant limited to 1000 on the Bronx store now:

https://shop.thebronxxx.com/products/bronx-vi-orange?variant=39274122346561

What was the pressing figure of the Orange/Black mix variant again?

How does it come nobody mentioned the ugly Australia variant yet?

https://artistfirst.com.au/collections/the-bronx/products/vi-lp-galaxy-orange-crush-cyan-blue

Edited by Iggy_Pilot
URLs

4 hours ago, birdwell said:

...especially one that's part of a record without a b-side....

4 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

In this case, if there is a B-side to these 7"s I'm in, otherwise, I'll stick to the LP.

Sounds like y’all are getting AFI’d instead of checking out the Koyo, Militarie Gun, Sacred Souls and Spy 7”s.

9 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Sounds like y’all are getting AFI’d instead of checking out the Koyo, Militarie Gun, Sacred Souls and Spy 7”s.

Again, it depends on all the criteria above. I just bought the Bumper 2x7", Macseal ST 7", Gulch/Sunami Split, and the ETID/Cave In 7". Non-album songs is the biggest factor for me.

7 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

spacer.png

Tally one more for the anti-7" crew.

Only been in the vinyl world for 12 years or so, but I listen to albums in full 99% of the time, start to finish, and said albums are typically longer than 10 minutes.  That being said, I avoid 7"s like the plague.  Looks like I own about 46 of them and I'm willing to bet that half of those are part of a "deluxe" edition or boxset.  Unless the B-side is to die for, the A-side is exclusive to said 7", or it's a standalone EP that isn't available on a 12"... I see no point in collecting them.  Least amount of bang for your buck, and lowest amount of music for babysitting the turntable.

I get that they're a big staple of the punx scene and super prevalent in the collection of longtime vinyl enthusiasts.  But I'm not wasting the money or shelf-space on a 7" track that already exists on a LP that I own, even if it has a live or acoustic versions on the b-side.  Just don't have the gotta' catch 'em all fervor to own them, but more power to anyone who gets off about them.