Upgrading set up

Currently in the process of upgrading my setup and could do with a bit of advice. 

Current set up: 

TT - Dual CS505-3 
Amp - NAD stereo receiver 7020e 
Speakers - Wharfedales  (can't remember the model No. whilst I'm at work). 

Upgrading this week to a Project Debut Carbon Evo 

My question is regarding the pre amp/amp situation. 

The NAD 7020e has a built in phono amp and has done the job fine for the last few years. However my understanding is a separate pre-amp and amplifier gets better results. 

Upgrading to something like this https://www.whathifi.com/rega/fono-mm-mk3/review Could i still use the NAD as the amplifier/volume control or would it negate the work done by the mk3. Would I technically be amplifying twice?  

I pretty much have a budget of £‪200-300‬ and want to upgrade the middle part of my set up, but I'm lost. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated! 

20 minutes ago, Smellman said:

Yes, you can still use the NAD. Connect the preamp to one of the line level inputs on your amp (ie. CD, Aux) instead of the Phono input. 

The Rega preamp is likely better than the one built into the NAD. Only way to know for sure is to try both and decide what sounds better to you.

Would this have any negative side effects of going through the CD input? Or does the CD, TV,  Cassette all work exactly the same apart from labelling? 

I do agree though, the more I read about it the more I think I need to hang on until the music store opens again and go and test some out. 

I can't speak to the 7020e specifically but the NAD preamps tend to be really good. My receiver is a 7130 and I love it.

I also just got a Debut Carbon EVO last week. it was an immediately obvious upgrade from my old Essential, from the very first record I put on. Really excellent table for the price.

Edited by tape

17 minutes ago, tape said:

I can't speak to the 7020e specifically but the NAD preamps tend to be really good. My receiver is a 7130 and I love it.

I also just got a Debut Carbon EVO last week. it was an immediately obvious upgrade from my old Essential, from the very first record I put on. Really excellent table for the price.

Good to hear, I'm excited to get it this weekend. 

Think I'll stick with the NAD so i can properly test out a few and see if it's worth the change. Speakers on the other hand... 

• 1 year later...