Licensing Questions. ATTN Label types

On 3/28/2021 at 1:48 PM, MattyIceyo said:

Hello,

Am curious what the hassle is when it comes to:

Trying to license a record

Cost

If 2 labels had put out the same record who owns it

Is there a cost to license based upon how many units you plan on pressing 

I am sure there is more but this is the basics.

Thanks

Every single one of your questions greatly varies depending on the release/situation.

In my situation, there was no additional licensing costs. I was friends with the band, who put me in touch with the label who did CD and Digital for the release (it was over a decade ago). I gave the label, who owned the rights, 10% of the press for free, and the band another 10% for free. 

I would contact the band. If they even want their shit rereleased, and they do own the rights, maybe you can strike a deal. Or they can probably direct you to whoever does own them.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, kylet said:

Every single one of your questions greatly varies depending on the release/situation.

In my situation, there was no additional licensing costs. I was friends with the band, who put me in touch with the label who did CD and Digital for the release (it was over a decade ago). I gave the label, who owned the rights, 10% of the press for free, and the band another 10% for free. 

I would contact the band. If they even want their shit rereleased, and they do own the rights, maybe you can strike a deal. Or they can probably direct you to whoever does own them.

Good luck!

Thank you that was helpful.  I will try to reach out to the band or members or something and go from there. I tried to email the label and i got a bounce back so the email didn't even exist anymore so that was cool.  Thank you again!