Tool - Ænima repressing

6 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Are we...the pretentious record collector assholes...the only ones who feel that TOOL keep trolling us?

Cuz I am sure that the regular TOOL fans would be excited for this merch drop. 

But hey...what the fuck do I know?

Possibly but non-record collectors might have been thinking it was a live stream or tour announcement, new album (LOL) rather than some merch.  

The response on Reddit was similar to here though and I would think they probably represent the average fan.

What is the Tool Army reaction? The hardcore fans may be super hyped by the new merch?

I am gonna' go out on a limb and guess that the general Tool fanbase is neither surprised nor stoked with this drop.  FB comment sections and Reddit, especially, are riddled with comments from users trying to champion for vinyl reissues.  Like it's the prevalent ask with the most likes, sub-comments, and attention.  (Outside of, maybe, tour demands.)  Anyone in the band or affiliated with their social media can instantly recognize the demand.  They're either trolling the shit out of their fans or just unfathomably lazy, at this point.

I do wonder what will become of that "deluxe packaging" posted on the last page, with whatever it may be.  Even if it's a jumbo hardcover book to house some CDs, I was expecting something music-related to get released in the store today.  Silly assumption on my end, I know.

Just now, Derek™ said:

I am gonna' go out on a limb and guess that the general Tool fanbase is neither surprised nor stoked with this drop.  FB comment sections and Reddit, especially, are riddled with comments from users trying to champion for vinyl reissues.  Like it's the prevalent ask with the most likes, sub-comments, and attention.  (Outside of, maybe, tour demands.)  Anyone in the band or affiliated with their social media can instantly recognize the demand.  They're either trolling the shit out of their fans or just unfathomably lazy, at this point.

I do wonder what will become of that "deluxe packaging" posted on the last page, with whatever it may be.  Even if it's a jumbo hardcover book to house some CDs, I was expecting something music-related to get released in the store today.  Silly assumption on my end, I know.

I can totally imagine them releasing a hardcover book CD anthology set.

I'd probably buy it too.

34 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Are we...the pretentious record collector assholes...the only ones who feel that TOOL keep trolling us?

Cuz I am sure that the regular TOOL fans would be excited for this merch drop. 

But hey...what the fuck do I know?

With the band posting pictures of 12 x 12 artwork, and mentioning Fear Inoculum, the band is TOTALLY trolling us! 🙄

Edited by Plarocks

I don't think we're being pretentious vinyl snobs. I can't imagine anyone being excited about that drop... It's the most basic stuff. $35 t-shirt with the album art on it? a mask, 13 months into the pandemic? This is the kind of merch Kohls and Walmart carries on their rack of rock music and pop culture t-shirts... Having a countdown for this is bananas. They're either completely out of touch with what people actually want, or trolling fans. I can't help but think it's the latter.

1 minute ago, Plarocks said:

The bands website even stated that the Fear Inoculum vinyl LP was coming.

Oh yeah?

The only positive thing I can think of... is that the band still has this in the pipeline – potentially tied to that deluxe packaging featured on the last page – and was merely testing the server stress of their new web-store.  If they're going to eventually drop new vinyl, in any capacity, by now they should have gauged that there will be mad dash for it.  What better way to prepare for that than to have a trial-run of server stress and scrambling fans hit the page at a select time?  I know the reality of it is that we're being trolled by an apathetic band but it's something to at least consider.

I mean, it takes them 10 years to make eight songs. They kind of move on their on timeline. 

i’ve always assumed licensing is the culprit behind the lack on vinyl by a band that likes physical things. But who knows, it really does some like they actively enjoy trolling the fans.