PO 4/8: Sufjan Stevens - Convocations 5xLP Box Set

https://asthmatickitty.com/announcing-convocations-by-sufjan-stevens/

Convocations, a new instrumental album by Sufjan Stevens, will be released on May 6 digitally, and on August 20th, 2021 via 5xLP colored vinyl boxset .

Convocations is comprised of five volumes—Meditations, Lamentations, Revelations, Celebrations and Incantations—the project is a two-and-a-half-hour, 49-track reflection on a year of anxiety, uncertainty, isolation, and loss. Read more about the project here.

You can hear the first song from the project, “Meditation V,” right now by clicking here

The full volume of Meditations will be out this Thursday, April 8. We’ll be releasing the other four volumes each week for the next four weeks. See schedule below for details.

Each of the volumes and tracks of Convocations are accompanied by a generative video art piece created by artist Melissa Fuentes

Also: please save the date and join us on Thursday at 12pm ET, when we’ll be premiering Meditations in full, alongside with Fuentes’ visuals, via YouTube livestream here. The livestream will remain active during that week to come, and we encourage you to join in the stream’s chat throughout to reflect, respond, meditate, lament, revel, celebrate, and incant what we’ve gained and what we’ve lost over the last year, and what we see on the horizon.

We are also releasing Convocations on 5xLP, both of which will ship on August 20th. You’ll be able to pre-order those items on Thursday, April 8th at 1pm ET here or over at Bandcamp here. See photos below.

Just now, Derek™ said:

Now why would you do that?

"the project is a two-and-a-half-hour, 49-track reflection"

Gimmicky isn't the right word there's very few artists I think I'd be into hearing that from and Sufjan isn't always that person

and tbh the only pandemic reflection I'll ever care about is Charli XCX's anthems anyway lol

4 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

"the project is a two-and-a-half-hour, 49-track reflection"

Gimmicky isn't the right word there's very few artists I think I'd be into hearing that from and Sufjan isn't always that person

and tbh the only pandemic reflection I'll ever care about is Charli XCX's anthems anyway lol

Certainly not gimmicky.  Maybe ambitious?  I haven’t sat down with his last couple of instrumental efforts but I will say that he does drone / ambient very well, when it gets incorporated into his songwriting.  A lot of people hated The Ascension but I found those minimal, ambient bits to be super nice.  I’m definitely interested in this album, especially since it doesn’t sound like it’ll be a completely minimal ride, start to finish.  $50 for a 5LP boxset is also super reasonable, I just hope there’s a bit more quality control than Ascension had.

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Certainly not gimmicky.  Maybe ambitious?  I haven’t sat down with his last couple of instrumental efforts but I will say that he does drone / ambient very well, when it gets incorporated into his songwriting.  A lot of people hated The Ascension but I found those minimal, ambient bits to be super nice.  I’m definitely interested in this album, especially since it doesn’t sound like it’ll be a completely minimal ride, start to finish.  $50 for a 5LP boxset is also super reasonable, I just hope there’s a bit more quality control than Ascension had.

I really enjoyed The Ascension, it was the last "supergroup" project that I thought was whack and just assumed this would be that similar bland release

Planetarium or something? I don't remember who was in it 

I also had no idea it $50 for the set, that's great compared to nearly the same for the ascension after shipping

6 hours ago, Multiverse said:

I really enjoyed The Ascension, it was the last "supergroup" project that I thought was whack and just assumed this would be that similar bland release

Planetarium or something? I don't remember who was in it 

I also had no idea it $50 for the set, that's great compared to nearly the same for the ascension after shipping

Yeah, that Planetarium release did nothing for me either.  I'm not a devout Sufjan fanboy but I do feel like he works best solo; collaborations only seem to get in his way.  That box may be more than $50 after taxes or shipping but still... maybe the cheapest 5LP set I've been interested in.

Snagged the vinyl and that sweet yellow mouse shirt - I was taken back to see $14 shipping but I guess I won't complain since it sounds cheaper than some.

I'm with some of you on the last few projects being super hit or miss - The Ascension took a little while to grow on me but I'm pretty into it now and feel like the limited clips I've heard from this release already sound WAY more interesting that that Planetarium LP.  That thing was a Rothko with no texture.

14 hours ago, copelandkid said:

woah two pressings of this sold out already on the AK webshop? it's getting indie distro for sure?

Well shoot - I only realized I bought the second pressing because of your comment, I had to double-check my receipt. Do I lose my fanboi badge now (asking for a friend)?

• 6 months later...
15 hours ago, DoublesGuy said:

My local shop has this for something reasonable (60ish cad). I really felt burned after the Ascension (probably the worst pressing of any record I own). Can anyone comment on how these turned out in the end?

My copy of the box is flawless.  Quiet and flat.  I found it at my local store, which was a surprise.

Edited by jmpatrick