Preamp for newbie

Are the BS5s powered or passive? If they are powered, all you would need is the preamp. If passive, you'll need an amp as well.

I've been using one of these for awhile now and am quite happy with it. Swapped the tubes out for the recommended GE 5654W set though. For the price, I'm convinced this can't be beat. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fosi-Audio-Preamplifier-Phonograph-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B07XNTHHBP/

2 hours ago, A-Bon said:

get a 2 channel reciever with a phono input like this 

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WFDR8D/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Receiver+with+Phono+Input&qid=1620595362&sr=8-3

im assuming you will be using a moving magnet cart (MM) .???

It’s funny you mention that, I was actually checking out that receiver. The cartridge is a moving magnet cartridge if that matters.

perfect .. the phono pre in most stereo amps will only take MM .. good little receiver and ya setup will be nice and neat :) .. you may have to play with the grounding wire (ie connect or disconnect) if you get a hum

8 minutes ago, 1madraven said:

It’s funny you mention that, I was actually checking out that receiver. The cartridge is a moving magnet cartridge if that matters.

1 minute ago, A-Bon said:

perfect .. the phono pre in most stereo amps will only take MM .. good little receiver and ya setup will be nice and neat :) .. you may have to play with the grounding wire (ie connect or disconnect) if you get a hum

That’s what I will go with. I appreciate it, thanks!🙂

19 hours ago, A-Bon said:

get a 2 channel reciever with a phono input like this 

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WFDR8D/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Receiver+with+Phono+Input&qid=1620595362&sr=8-3

im assuming you will be using a moving magnet cart (MM) .???

And with this option, you won't need the preamp. You could also scope out local thrift stores and find something cheap with a phono input. It would at least get the job done as you save for something nicer :)

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2021 at 7:22 PM, 1madraven said:

Upgraded my turntable from a audiotechnica lp160bt to a fluance bt85. Looking for a proper way to set it up. I have neumi bs5 speakers. What external preamp would be a good option, and is there anything else I will need?

Many people talk so well about quality/price of the iFi audio ZEN Phono. Never tried but I'm tempted

Edited by Dr Robert