Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My two cents...first two pieces are great, I'm just not sure about the speakers. Great company, but curious why you're going with powered speakers. Lack of space? Budget? I've gone that route before because of space issues, but in the end I gave it up. The sound wasn't as full as I wanted. It was good but not great. To build speakers like that, they have to stuff a ton of components inside that tiny cabinet. In my opinion, you lose some fidelity in the process. The other thing is, if you want to upgrade and find a separate amplifier you like down the road, you will have to get rid of those speakers. But I don't know what your set up is...if this is like a second system for an office in a small room, your choices will work perfectly. If this is your main system in a living room, it will sound good. I just think over time you'll find it lacks some depth and you lose future upgrade options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoytis said:

My two cents...first two pieces are great, I'm just not sure about the speakers. Great company, but curious why you're going with powered speakers. Lack of space? Budget? I've gone that route before because of space issues, but in the end I gave it up. The sound wasn't as full as I wanted. It was good but not great. To build speakers like that, they have to stuff a ton of components inside that tiny cabinet. In my opinion, you lose some fidelity in the process. The other thing is, if you want to upgrade and find a separate amplifier you like down the road, you will have to get rid of those speakers. But I don't know what your set up is...if this is like a second system for an office in a small room, your choices will work perfectly. If this is your main system in a living room, it will sound good. I just think over time you'll find it lacks some depth and you lose future upgrade options.

Thanks! Great feedback! 
 

  Budget does play in here more than space. My total budget is roughly $1000. I’m pretty solid on the turntable. I’m open to suggestions on the pre-amp and especially the speakers. So if there’s another option for speakers that will fit into the budget I’m down! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

as @hoytishas said .. if going powered dont go budget, if you can afford it, go down the active monitor route .. each speaker has its own built in amp.. i run record player TO phono pre TO preamp/monitor control TO active speakers... i love it because theres no EQ anywhere and the needle is playing what was cut :) 

one issue i see is how are you going to adjust volume? do the speakers have their own monitor control??

if youre going to run MM cart you could also look at DAC w/ phono pre built in .. that way you will have some volume and control and a phono pre in one box.. also will have the ability to control other inputs later ie tape decks etc... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, A-Bon said:

i run record player TO phono pre TO preamp/monitor control TO active speakers... i love it because theres no EQ anywhere and the needle is playing what was cut :) 

Yes! That's what I'm talking about! and want! and trying for! Simplistic and clean sounds. 

 

 

33 minutes ago, A-Bon said:

one issue i see is how are you going to adjust volume? do the speakers have their own monitor control??

The speakers have a remote that can adjust volume.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Thanks for the replies BTW!

 
   This is my first foray into the “audiophile” realm and I would like to hear some distinct differences to digital not just the rhetoric from some music sommelier about high highs and deep basses or what ever… 
 
Turntable - My choices for a turntable were between the Rega Planar 2 and the Pro-Ject Evo. My choice was the Evo due to the slim separation in performance (Planar 2 was only slightly better) that I was reading about, styling (Evo offers colors!), and budgeting (Evo is almost $100 cheaper). 
 
Pre-Amp - This was between the Rega Fono Mini and the Pro-Ject Phono Box it’s pretty much based on reviews that I have read from multiple websites about the “best” pre amp. Seems like the Rega shows up more and higher on that list than the Pro-Ject. I have done the research and read reviews and all signs pointed to the Rega as the best bang for the buck in that $200 range. I’m open to suggestions and opinions as with the rest of this venture I lack experience. 
 
The speakers -  This is the area I’m least married. Originally I was looking for a pair of speakers in the $300-$400 range and selected the A5+ and switched to the “wireless” version eventually reasoning that;
               1. They are a newer design and offered upgraded tech vs. the original A5+.
               2. The wireless feature gives me some flexibility to stream for other devices than just the turntable. I know the “wireless” are $499, $100 more than I was originally budgeted but they gave that additional functionality.
 
If you have suggestions in this area for speakers in the $300-$400 I’ll definitely give it some thought. 
 
So overall I’m budgeting about $1000 for the setup. I do have a little flex but not looking to go crazy over. 
 
Again thanks for the help! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough decisions :) So much fun building systems. I can vouch for the Rega Planar 1 Plus that I use in one of my setups. It comes with the Rega preamp built in. I've had it for several years now and still don't plan to replace it any time soon. It sounds amazing to my ears.  As for speakers, I think you got it right. Audioengine is great...I would also look at Klipsch and Dynaudio in the same price range. Cheers and good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×

oh my wow GIF by ESPN Deportes

 

Please disable AdBlock OR sign-in in order to be able to access our website...

I Understand, I'll disable it for this website