Vagrant 25 Years Vinyl Represses

6 hours ago, dantheriver said:

They must be getting a deal and/or taking advantage of a quicker turn around. Idk why everyone keeps asking ‘WHY 10”?!?!’. Bc it’s a business. Don’t like the product then don’t buy it.

Right? And this 2x10" news came out like a month ago, so...not sure why people are acting surprised.

I mean for one I guess I'd rather switch sides once. Not switch sides, switch record, switch sides to listen to something that should just be a single LP. I don't care what deals the label got its dumb to put these out on double 10s

Same reason I think it's asinine when bands have put out a 7 inch boxset of a single LPs worth of material. 

Edited by JohnMatrix

4 hours ago, JohnMatrix said:

I mean for one I guess I'd rather switch sides once. Not switch sides, switch record, switch sides to listen to something that should just be a single LP. I don't care what deals the label got its dumb to put these out on double 10s

Same reason I think it's asinine when bands have put out a 7 inch boxset of a single LPs worth of material. 

I'm also comfortable saying that it is annoying that double 10s don't appear flush on my shelf. It might sound petty or superficial but that's just the truth for me. 

5 hours ago, JohnMatrix said:

We're getting 7 inches worth of music on 12 inches and 12 inches of music on 20. It's just stupid at this point.

3 hours ago, LIGMA_BALLZ said:

Why are we still talking about this? A 2x10” for a record that was originally pressed on 1 lp is fucking stoopid.  End of story

Mad Kyle GIF by South Park

I'm essentially the gutterball1 of Alkaline Trio.  And unapologetically a big Senses Fail fan. I want these represses to be good. And its just getting old. Life Is Not A Waiting Room was advertised as a standard size lp and it was the two inch nonsense. Follow Your Bliss has an edited song, Remains had two songs removed completely. I'm tired, boss.

Do I have to be annoying about it? Nah but I'm definitely choosing to be.

8 hours ago, lostcrimes said:

I'm essentially the gutterball1 of Alkaline Trio.  And unapologetically a big Senses Fail fan. I want these represses to be good. And its just getting old. Life Is Not A Waiting Room was advertised as a standard size lp and it was the two inch nonsense. Follow Your Bliss has an edited song, Remains had two songs removed completely. I'm tired, boss.

Do I have to be annoying about it? Nah but I'm definitely choosing to be.

This is the sentiment I agree with. The bullshit of post-Covid record collecting is pushing me to quit the hobby altogether. These faults with what should have been simple, quality represses are just nails in the coffin. 

12 hours ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

This is the sentiment I agree with. The bullshit of post-Covid record collecting is pushing me to quit the hobby altogether. These faults with what should have been simple, quality represses are just nails in the coffin. 

I'm falling in line with this way of thinking too. I remember some other jaded soul posting a response to a pre-order announcement with "get your fresh dishes here!" No kidding, almost every record ships with a warp or just completely dished.

So I've set up a few rules:

• No 2xLPs that follow the 3 tracks / side model. It's not needed and inner grove quality issues are fixed with a good transfer / pressing / math.
  • Only get records I can envision playing more than once.
  • Say yes to new records of seminal releases in my history. See Deep Elm represses, etc.
  • Don't buy a record if I already own it.
  • No gimmick shit. Picture disks, glow in the dark, white vinyl, should be avoided at all cost. 180G  black pressings preferred.
  • If the pre-order is more than 6 months away, fuck that.
Edited by MacDonals
A word

16 hours ago, MacDonals said:

I'm falling in line with this way of thinking too. I remember some other jaded soul posting a response to a pre-order announcement with "get your fresh dishes here!" No kidding, almost every record ships with a warp or just completely dished.

So I've set up a few rules:

• No 2xLPs that follow the 3 tracks / side model. It's not needed and inner grove quality issues are fixed with a good transfer / pressing / math.
  • Only get records I can envision playing more than once.
  • Say yes to new records of seminal releases in my history. See Deep Elm represses, etc.
  • Don't buy a record if I already own it.
  • No gimmick shit. Picture disks, glow in the dark, white vinyl, should be avoided at all cost. 180G  black pressings preferred.
  • If the pre-order is more than 6 months away, fuck that.

There is no proof of white vinyl being worse than other colors to my knowledge. 

55 minutes ago, derkwithano said:

I really just don't enjoy the look of white vinyl. If it comes down to white or any other color including standard black I'm going with anything but white.

I seem to be an outlier around these parts in that I do like a nice crystal clear though.

Of course the most important thing is sound quality, but I do enjoy a fancy looking record.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:23 AM, derkwithano said:

Perhaps confirmation bias, but I've had  white records with an extreme amount of static. Either way, I tend to go for the strongest vinyl to give the best chance there won't be a warp or dish, and that's heavyweight black (the hardest vinyl).

5 hours ago, MacDonals said:

Perhaps confirmation bias, but I've had  white records with an extreme amount of static. Either way, I tend to go for the strongest vinyl to give the best chance there won't be a warp or dish, and that's heavyweight black (the hardest vinyl).

I always heard that clear and glow in the dark sounded the worst, I haven't tested this out. In my experience it's the picture discs that are the worst sounding. 

1 hour ago, Look_mexico said:

I always heard that clear and glow in the dark sounded the worst, I haven't tested this out. In my experience it's the picture discs that are the worst sounding. 

Never had any problems with clear, and that's what I typically buy if its available. I avoid glow in the dark usually though as I typically just don't like the look, so I'm no help there.

2 hours ago, Look_mexico said:

I always heard that clear […] sounded the worst

For whatever reason I see this grossly mistaken stance shared out on Reddit where it’s spread like wildfire.  I’m not saying there aren’t clear records out there that sound bad – they sure can, just like badly pressed black vinyl – but I have an overwhelmingly positive history with (a lot of) clear records.  I think the majority of people insisting it sounds bad are echoing the pandemic collectors on Reddit, who probably don’t own clear vinyl.  [Or at the very least, certainly never spin it for themselves.]