Vagrant 25 Years Vinyl Represses

Clear vinyl is my favorite, followed by a nice clean tri-color, and split colors. 

My least favorite are smashes, A/B sides, and splatters. So fucking tired of the splatters.

Nobody cares, but I figured I'd share anyway. Hey, at least I won't call you a redneck if you disagree

I love when these discussions come up and everyone wants to chime in without doing the bare minimum research about vinyl and record production.

Records are made from PVC. It's naturally colorless.

To make black vinyl, carbon is added. In addition to the black coloration, carbon adds strength...because it's carbon.

Colored vinyl has added dyes to color it, but no carbon, so it is colorful, has impurities and does not get the added strength black gets from carbon.

Clear, being the base form of PVC is technically the purest, but can has two diasadvantages to black vinyl: no added strength from carbon, and it is harder to visually quality check due to the color.

To get a solidly white record a lot of dye has to be added to the PVC, making it often more impure and prone to defect.

27 minutes ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

I love when these discussions come up and everyone wants to chime in without doing the bare minimum research about vinyl and record production.

To make black vinyl, carbon is added. In addition to the black coloration, carbon adds strength...because it's carbon.

Colored vinyl has added dyes to color it, but no carbon, so it is colorful, has impurities and does not get the added strength black gets from carbon.

Clear, being the base form of PVC is technically the purest, but can has two diasadvantages to black vinyl: no added strength from carbon, and it is harder to visually quality check due to the color.

To get a solidly white record a lot of dye has to be added to the PVC, making it often more impure and prone to defect.

Excuse my ignorance but is this not just theory? Like, what research did you do to get this information outside of some pressing plant FAQ pages or blog posts? I've never come across any detailed scientific research on this topic. Not that any of this really matters.

12 minutes ago, derkwithano said:

Excuse my ignorance but is this not just theory? Like, what research did you do to get this information outside of some pressing plant FAQ pages or blog posts? I've never come across any detailed scientific research on this topic. Not that any of this really matters.

I mean, adding carbon for hardness/rigidity is basic chemistry, and adding other substances to a pure substance making it less pure is also basic chemistry. As for PVC being clear in its natural state, that's basic observation.

Ask yourself what is the hardest known substance in the world. Diamond, right? And what are diamonds made of? You guessed it, carbon.

If every pressing plant FAQ says the same thing regarding processes and it matches what I've learn in basic science education I tend to believe it. I suppose you could apply the same "it takes a lot of white dye" principal to any opaque colored vinyl besides black, but when it comes to color theory it typically takes more white in any mix than it does other colors.

My original post wasn't directed specifically at you, if that matters at all.

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage

1 hour ago, TheGhostOfRandySavage said:

Isn't the base form of PVC some weird cloudy clear? I have a Bryan Fallon christmas album that I believe is this pure base. If that's the case, I wonder how they get it to be crystal clear

34 minutes ago, HardlineKid said:

Isn't the base form of PVC some weird cloudy clear? I have a Bryan Fallon christmas album that I believe is this pure base. If that's the case, I wonder how they get it to be crystal clear

It is a little cloudy and I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what the process is to get crystal clear.

• 1 month later...

A lot of already reduced stuff is 20% off at Newbury 

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/vagrant-records?fbclid=PAAab73wSQXpkDOJj_dT6NEOGmveIDpwgNDmmpsPKhiRwweOtOTeOunRBWxv8

Senses Fail- Still Searching 19.20

Senses Fail- Life is Not A Waiting Room 19.20

Senses Fail- The Fire 8.00

Senses Fail- Follow Your Bliss 16.00

Thrice- Beggars 11.20

From Autumn To Ashes- Holding A Wolf... 11.20

Get Up Kids- On A Wire 12.00

Balance and Composure- Light We Made 9.60

Get Up Kids- Guilt Show 8.00

Get Up Kids- Live at Granada 11.20

25 minutes ago, FEN1XD0WN said:

Has anyone ever ordered from Target? They've got both of The Bled's albums for ~$16 each. I know I've ordered some artbooks from them and the packaging was absolute shit, so I dunno if they ship in actual mailers or what. 

Nope. No mailers. Just a huge box with tons of room for it to bang around. On the plus side, their customer service is really good.

15 hours ago, FEN1XD0WN said:

Has anyone ever ordered from Target? They've got both of The Bled's albums for ~$16 each. I know I've ordered some artbooks from them and the packaging was absolute shit, so I dunno if they ship in actual mailers or what. 

I've ordered from Target quite a few times. If you order something that's popular and coming from a store, it will be shipped in a big box with very little protection. If you order something that isn't available in stores, it will usually come in a mailer. Oddly enough, the stuff that comes in mailers is often more damaged than the stuff in the big boxes. 

1 hour ago, ntslash said:

I've ordered from Target quite a few times. If you order something that's popular and coming from a store, it will be shipped in a big box with very little protection. If you order something that isn't available in stores, it will usually come in a mailer. Oddly enough, the stuff that comes in mailers is often more damaged than the stuff in the big boxes. 

Well that just reaffirmed it's a no-go then! They're showing up as "not in stores".  Cuz yeah like I said, the artbooks were in the worst "packaging" I could have ever imagined, offering zero protection and they were bent to hell. Sooo if that's what I should be expecting.....nah I'll wait. 

• 4 months later...

I ordered the "Stay What You Are" 10" (Saves The Day) via Hassle Records' Bandcamp in September last year. Still haven't received it. Hassle doesn't communicate AT ALL about this release. I contacted two people at Hassle, they told me twice the release has been postponed. 

Does any one else have the same problem?

I picked up the red/yellow split of Guilt Show from Newbury's sale the other week, and this thing sounds fuckin' terrible. I can't remember if the OG press sounded this brickwalled/clipped, as I sold it many years ago, but this one will likely never hit the turntable again. 

1 hour ago, scottheisel said:

I picked up the red/yellow split of Guilt Show from Newbury's sale the other week, and this thing sounds fuckin' terrible. I can't remember if the OG press sounded this brickwalled/clipped, as I sold it many years ago, but this one will likely never hit the turntable again. 

And it's basically unsellable since it was overpressed