PO Now - Thursday: Waiting

2 minutes ago, rrd said:

just got my 'black/grey/white' stripe version in, holy seam splits and the stripe didn't turn out like the mockup (shocker) which is mostly why i chose that one, because it was unique. pretty disappointing overall.

https://imgur.com/a/vu6X7dJ

Yeah...I don't know that I'd ever expect a clean line like that mockup on an actual record. I can understand the disappointment though.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:18 PM, Buffbloom said:

Same. When I looked at it, I couldn't remember what the mockup looked like, I just knew it wasn't right.

I also got a set list signed by three members and a postcard signed by 1 member.  I don't think the set list was supposed to be signed?

My set list has 6 signatures?

Edited by wellnow

well got this message in response to asking for a replacement sleeve

"Unfortunately, since these LPs were 9 months in the making, in an already backed up industry, we were not given any replacement sleeves, and there are none available. As stated at the checkout, MerchNow is not responsible for items damaged in transit; we can only refund or replace in the instance the actual vinyl itself is damaged/won't play. If the issue is the sleeve or packaging of the vinyl there is nothing we can do."

and cause the pre-order was so friggin long ago its too late to claim any kind of buyer protection, ugh

33 minutes ago, rrd said:

well got this message in response to asking for a replacement sleeve

"Unfortunately, since these LPs were 9 months in the making, in an already backed up industry, we were not given any replacement sleeves, and there are none available. As stated at the checkout, MerchNow is not responsible for items damaged in transit; we can only refund or replace in the instance the actual vinyl itself is damaged/won't play. If the issue is the sleeve or packaging of the vinyl there is nothing we can do."

and cause the pre-order was so friggin long ago its too late to claim any kind of buyer protection, ugh

I mean, those splits are about a 50/50 chance when you order LP's online that get delivered through the mail. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I can't imagine getting a replacement from any label for those. I try to avoid that factor when sending records by using enough padding and squeezing the mailer extra tight to prevent the LP from sliding inside its own jacket. But every label doesn't pack records like I do, but I don't sell nearly as many records as a label.

Sucks but it happens.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I mean, those splits are about a 50/50 chance when you order LP's online that get delivered through the mail. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I can't imagine getting a replacement from any label for those. I try to avoid that factor when sending records by using enough padding and squeezing the mailer extra tight to prevent the LP from sliding inside its own jacket. But every label doesn't pack records like I do, but I don't sell nearly as many records as a label.

Sucks but it happens.

Yeah I mean I know, I get my fair share of minor splits and I just suck it up but this one is the worst I've had in a while. Doesn't help that the cover is black so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

23 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Sucks but it happens.

Preface here... I really dislike the practice of shoving the blame/liability for damaged goods on the consumer.

But, the 'reality check' here is that unfortunately that is the state of things at the moment, so I am willing to cave and use "route" shipping protection offered by merchnow and others, and would go as far as recommending it as long as you can stomach basically bending over and giving up on fair treatment. from labels.
I have had multiple orders now where that extra $1.50 meant my corner ding turned into a free record.
Doesn't actually fix the problem but has probably saved me 2x as much as I have spent on the feature. 

Food for thought anyways. 

Edited by V3XED

13 hours ago, V3XED said:

have had multiple orders now where that extra $1.50 meant my corner ding turned into a free record.
Doesn't actually fix the problem but has probably saved me 2x as much as I have spent on the feature. “

Fuck yourself, you’re the reason single lps cost $30 minimum these days. And also the exact type of customer that pushed merchnow to adopt the policy.

Corner dings. Fuck outta here. 

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

14 hours ago, V3XED said:

Preface here... I really dislike the practice of shoving the blame/liability for damaged goods on the consumer.

But, the 'reality check' here is that unfortunately that is the state of things at the moment, so I am willing to cave and use "route" shipping protection offered by merchnow and others, and would go as far as recommending it as long as you can stomach basically bending over and giving up on fair treatment from labels. 

I have had multiple orders now where that extra $1.50 meant my corner ding turned into a free record.
Doesn't actually fix the problem but has probably saved me 2x as much as I have spent on the feature. 

Food for thought anyways. 

I agree about the ethic of not blaming the customer but that's not what I did. I said you have to accept the physical reality that labels putting out high volume of mailed records aren't going to take the same time and care into packing a record as I do necessarily where I sell approximately 1 to 5 records per year.

And this isn't damaged goods. I like record jackets as much as the next guy but the "good" is NOT particularly damaged when the record itself is still fully functional and undamaged. I had my phase of needing absolutely every centimeter of my record jackets to be perfect or I was going to freak out. I got over that pretty quick. Even the greatest packing could potentially leave the record or jacket susceptible to some unforeseen trauma. This is just a risk we take when we buy records online. It sucks when multiple edges get cut through by the jostling of the LP but that's not a reason to get a refund or replacement. You just roll with it and hope next time is better.

Edited by mcpherson123

47 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

And this isn't damaged goods. I like record jackets as much as the next guy but the "good" is NOT particularly damaged when the record itself is still fully functional and undamaged. 

that would be incorrect though, the package is a part of it. would you accept a book with the cover torn off? it's not like you're reading the cover. or basically any collector shit, action figures, collector cards, fuckin forget about retaining value of sneakers if you don't have the box or the box is crushed. If record sleeves don't count as "the goods", why even both printing them, just send them out in a generic cardboard slipcover.

If you're paying for something, you're paying for the FULL package, otherwise you shouldn't be paying full price.

Didn't realize I was being so controversial, but appreciate the other way of looking at it @mcpherson123 .

I can see the angle here that its also outside the label/distro's hands (assuming things are reasonably packaged).
Which I guess is the point @holyvacantsholyhell is trying to make while also being a child about it.

I still don't think its fair to have this be the consumers burden, but perhaps that's a good argument for the existence of 'Route' style shipping insurance.
Which, when utilized, costs the label nothing, and contributes in no way to the cost of LP's. 

And just for the record, I have never once requested a refund or even a replacement for a corner ding *outside* of route insurance.
I did, as others probably do, just sigh and hope for better on the next one.  But, if i'm paying for that service It makes no sense to not use it.

Edited by V3XED

4 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

that would be incorrect though, the package is a part of it. would you accept a book with the cover torn off? it's not like you're reading the cover. or basically any collector shit, action figures, collector cards, fuckin forget about retaining value of sneakers if you don't have the box or the box is crushed. If record sleeves don't count as "the goods", why even both printing them, just send them out in a generic cardboard slipcover.

If you're paying for something, you're paying for the FULL package, otherwise you shouldn't be paying full price.

Its called reasonable expectation. Jackets were initially made to merely protect the LP. That was their whole function and in the meantime credits and identifying images were printed on the jackets. Then aesthetic and creativity got waxed into the mix as the format grew. Yes, I love when the art in the form of record jackets is in tact especially when purchased new but I'm not going to bother a label over the jacket edges being cut by the product inside it. I've grown to expect that possibility and live with it when it occurs.

Let's be real, this is not the same as the cover being torn off a book. I don't believe there is a comparable analogy between a book and a record wherein the existence of the media inside of its covering experienced enough inertia to cause damage to its outer layer. This wasn't someone tearing up the record jacket through either intention or negligence. This is a pitfall of shipping records in small quantities and dealing with the varying levels of work ethic around shipping and packing records by the vendors.

It sucks but I don't believe its a reasonable expectation to get replacement for a form of damage that is purely happenstance due to the conditions of the composition of the item which is the "goods" in question.

46 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Its called reasonable expectation. Jackets were initially made to merely protect the LP. That was their whole function and in the meantime credits and identifying images were printed on the jackets. Then aesthetic and creativity got waxed into the mix as the format grew. Yes, I love when the art in the form of record jackets is in tact especially when purchased new but I'm not going to bother a label over the jacket edges being cut by the product inside it. I've grown to expect that possibility and live with it when it occurs.

Let's be real, this is not the same as the cover being torn off a book. I don't believe there is a comparable analogy between a book and a record wherein the existence of the media inside of its covering experienced enough inertia to cause damage to its outer layer. This wasn't someone tearing up the record jacket through either intention or negligence. This is a pitfall of shipping records in small quantities and dealing with the varying levels of work ethic around shipping and packing records by the vendors.

It sucks but I don't believe its a reasonable expectation to get replacement for a form of damage that is purely happenstance due to the conditions of the composition of the item which is the "goods" in question.

im sorry but you're wrong on this one

if i'm paying for a record, the artwork is absolutely part of it, and there's a reasonable expectation it should be undamaged. by your logic all bands should just release albums in plain white sleeves since it apparently doesn't matter. i can tolerate minor dings and seam splits, but when you have a full 2 inch gash right through the band name on the spine that is fully visible on my shelf, i can't abide by that. at the very least a partial refund should be offered if you don't have the product to replace it.

Edited by rrd

22 minutes ago, rrd said:

im sorry but you're wrong on this one

if i'm paying for a record, the artwork is absolutely part of it, and there's a reasonable expectation it should be undamaged. by your logic all bands should just release albums in plain white sleeves since it apparently doesn't matter. i can tolerate minor dings and seam splits, but when you have a full 2 inch gash right through the band name on the spine that is fully visible on my shelf, i can't abide by that. at the very least a partial refund should be offered if you don't have the product to replace it.

I never said the artwork wasn't part of what you paid for. And I don't think you have interpreted my logic as I intended it. I never insinuated it didn't matter. I'm a huge proponent of the record sleeves as a canvas for accompanying visuals to a piece of music. What I actually said is that it is unreasonable to expect that the gashes your record sleeve suffered are somehow a liability of the label or the customer. It is a consequence of the physics of motion and the resiliency of the materials you are purchasing. It has happened to me as well. It sucks and believe it or not I hate that it happened to your record but unless you can make a case for how the shipping  department didn't take proper protective measures to avoid the damage, then its just a case of misfortune with ordering a product made of materials that are susceptible to these problems which don't always occur but do occur sometimes. This is one of those times.

And even if you're correct about their liability but they don't have any replacement sleeves to satisfy your request, you really believe you deserve money back for a the consequences of a scenario that caused damage after the package left their hands? I'm really NOT trying to be rude or aggressive. I've been in that same mentality that you are coming from and I also left that mentality behind because it was actually toxic for me and caused me undue stress over an issue that simply cannot be guaranteed to be avoided all the time.

I do appreciate the enthusiasm you have for the propriety of being delivered what you purchased, with the expectation that the object will be in tact to enjoy the aesthetic of seeing it on the shelf,  and how that enthusiasm is driving your argument and I get it. Its just been my discovery, in my own journey, that learning to live with less than favorable condition when no other rectification is being granted is going to be better for your own peace of mind. No hate. I'm sorry if I came off aggressive. In the end all I can offer you is that as advice. I realize you didn't necessarily ask for my specific advice but I chimed in and here we are.