NFL Discussion

flag pickup may have been bullshit, but the flag itself was bullshit

I think it was a legit, textbook pass interference. However, if we are going to look back on that play, there were plenty of bad calls against Dallas as well.

Refs cost Detroit that game.

and i really didn't care who won.

I wouldn't say the refs cost them the game considering their defense had an opportunity to stop Dallas's offense as well as having an opportunity to score and win the game at the end. The refs did cost them their advantage at the time though. Either way, there were a lot more bad calls against Dallas in the game.

That's a different conversation.

It's still pass interference.

I don't get the logic of picking up a flag....if it's called...it's called.

Being that this group of refs had never worked together before today. I believe it was distrust between refs. They were trying to get the call right, I doubt any other official backed the call so the ref picked it up.

what about the receivers hands to the facemask leading up to it?

The receiver was held beyond the 5 yard "buffer". That's a penalty. His jersey was tugged on when he attempted to turn around. That's a penalty too. Then the defender was face guarding. That's also a penalty. Yet somehow the refs picked up the flag. 

But the NFL got what they wanted, a Dallas / GB matchup for ratings, so all is well. I guess. 

Not even sure what to say about that. It's one thing to miss a call. Crazy to actually announce the penalty and have the teams move downfield, then overturn it. Never seen that before.

They missed an automatic unsportsmanlike on Dez Bryant as well for running 15 yards onto the field and getting in the officials face.

Lions needed to just score one more TD and put it in a position where the refs couldn't decide the game, though.

the way i saw it was that he had his facemask.. how do you expect him to turn around when his head is being pulled forward?

The receiver never grabbed Hitchens' facemask. There was a bit of a push off from the receiver and push from Hitchens with one hand, but the penalty would be due to Hitchens never getting his head around. Again, there were a lot of bad calls in this game. The entire first half Dallas was getting the shaft on calls. In the words of Suh

"It's unfortunate for sure and you can't just let one play define the game. I think you'd be doing a discredit to the whole game."