NFL Discussion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Teams are way too desperate for QBs... Both of those trades were downright irresponsible..

If the skins had done their trade for Andrew Luck (who a few people had ranked behind RG3 but not many), would you call that move a mistake?

The other thing I think is worth considering is that QBs don't really move very much in FA. It's not a guarantee you will get a QB for a decade if you hit but it's somewhat likely. It would easily be worth the cost of you thought you were getting a top 1/3 QB for 10 years.

If the skins had done their trade for Andrew Luck (who a few people had ranked behind RG3 but not many), would you call that move a mistake?

The other thing I think is worth considering is that QBs don't really move very much in FA. It's not a guarantee you will get a QB for a decade if you hit but it's somewhat likely. It would easily be worth the cost of you thought you were getting a top 1/3 QB for 10 years.

I'd call that a bigger mistake than going up to get RG3 because that would show that they were sloppy in their decision making and evaluation process. You do not "sell the farm" to go up to #2 without first doing your due diligence to find out who is going #1 overall. I think they knew who they were getting and they got a rookie of the year player who took the team to the playoffs. The talent was there, they just did a piss poor job of developing him, moving coaches and systems didn't help either.

LOL shot fired across the union bow for allowing the arbitration process to be so poorly defined in the CBA.

http://a.espncdn.com/pdf/2016/0425/BradyRulingReversed.pdf

In short, it is not our task to decide how we would have conducted the arbitration proceedings, or how we would have resolved the dispute.  

Instead, our task is simply to ensure that the arbitrator was “even arguably construing or applying the contract and acting within the scope of his authority” and did not “ignore the plain language of the contract.”    Misco, 484 U.S. at 38.    Even failure to “follow arbitral precedent” is no “reason to vacate an award.” Wackenhut, 126 F.3d at 32.  As long as the award “‘draws its essence from the collective bargaining agreement’ and is not merely the arbitrator’s ‘own brand of industrial justice,’” it must be confirmed. Niagara Mohawk, 143 F.3d at 714 (quoting United Steelworkers v. Enter. 31 Wheel & Car Corp., 363 U.S. 593, 597 (1960)); see also Garvey, 532 U.S. 32 at 509; 187 Concourse Assocs. v. Fishman, 399 F.3d 524, 527 (2d Cir. 12 Case 15-2801, Document 236-1, 04/25/2016, 1757310, Page12 of 33 Nos. 15‐2801 (L), 15‐2805 (CON) 2005).5   If the arbitrator acts within the scope of this authority, the remedy for a dissatisfied party “is not judicial intervention,” but “for the parties to draft their agreement to reflect the scope of power they would like their arbitrator to exercise.”  United Bhd. of Carpenters v. Tappan Zee Constr., LLC, 804 F.3d 270, 275 (2d Cir. 2015) (internal quotation marks omitted) (quoting T.Co Metals, LLC v. Dempsey Pipe & Supply, Inc., 592 F.3d 329, 345 (2d Cir. 2010)).   Against this legal backdrop, we turn to the decision below and the arguments advanced on appeal.

Yes. I like Luck, but he's not even a sure thing anymore.

To me it's not even close. The Browns have enough draft capital now in 2017/2018 to take any player (QB) they want and it won't cost them their own picks. This was always a weak QB draft class.