The Smashing Pumpkins - Archival Releases

2 minutes ago, ntslash said:

I'd be more likely to buy if I knew what these songs were. It says that many were early versions of SP songs. Does anyone know what each song became? 

TRACKLIST

SIDE A

Honeyspider (The Unicorn 5.25.90)

Not Worth Asking (Cabaret Metro 6.24.89)

Ball + Chain (Cabaret Metro 11.18.89)

Slunk (Cabaret Metro 6.22.91)

My Eternity (Eddy St. Rehearsal 10.2.88)

SIDE B

Bleed (Rehearsal/A+H Furniture 9.28.88)

Blue Light (O’Cayz Corral 3.30.90)

Over You (The Gallery 4.6.90)

C’mon (Cabaret Metro 12.29.89)

SIDE C

365  (The Unicorn 4.7.90)

Salt (Cabaret Metro 10.29.89)

Armed To The Teeth (Avalon Niteclub 10.29.88)

Morning Jam (The Unicorn 2.19.90)

Vanilla (O’Cayz Corral 1.18.90)

SIDE D

Daughter (Avalon Niteclub 5.27.89)

Siva (Cabaret Metro 6.22.91)

The Vigil (inc.) (Rehearsal/A+H Furniture 9.28.88)

Try To Try (The Unicorn 4.7.90)

On 4/1/2022 at 9:30 AM, andynz said:

I'm hoping the black copies of the Viper Room show go into the production queue soon, but with the new announcement, I'm not hopeful. 

The rumor of black standard pressings came from an instagram Q&A billy did when the archival releases were first announced. He's since implied that these are 1-time pressings due to vinyl pressing constraints and the desire to get more releases out, rather than higher pressing numbers. The prices are high, but I think he's taking into account that if things were normal, these would have much higher pressing numbers. I'm sure Billy's a bit out of touch with reality regarding record prices, but it's hard to argue that they're not priced in the sweet spot where everyone who wants it enough can get it keeping in mind these will have substantial resale value. It feels lame. But if they were priced at $30/each, the resale market would be making more than the band and a lot of us would have to pay more than $80 to get it.

As for the shipping prices, ridiculous. 

30 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

I still get sales tax in the US which is killing it for me - same reason I passed on that last release in the fall.

Yeah same reason I passed on the first two releases. It didn't make sense that they were charging state sales tax on an international order. They should just have the taxes included in the price considering how much they're charging for these.

These are all live versions, but heres where song have popped up before. Most of the unreleased were on the Mashed Potatoes compilation, not sure if its the same version, but that would make sense seeing as it was a mix tape (CD) box set made by Billy for the band and their management and friends.

Honeyspider (Tristessa single)
Not Worth Asking (I Am One single)
Ball + Chain (UNRELEASED - James song)
Slunk (Lull EP)
My Eternity (PI reissue)

Bleed (PI reissue)
Blue Light (UNRELEASED)
Over You (UNRELEASED)
C’mon (UNRELEASED)

365 (UNRELEASED)
Salt (UNRELEASED)
Armed To The Teeth (UNRELEASED)
Morning Jam (UNRELEASED)
Vanilla (PI reissue)

Daughter (7" flexi)
Siva (Gish)
The Vigil (inc.) (UNRELEASED)
Try To Try (UNRELEASED)

Edited by timsimmons

35 minutes ago, andynz said:

Has anyone made a rip of the Viper Room release? Would love to hear that version from the sound desk, without all the crowd noise. 

I was able to find Viper Room on archive.org for free.  Couldn't find the 92 live in Japan on there though.

https://archive.org/details/tsp1998-01-15.sm57.flac16

There's a good chance the vinyl version that's been done will sound better, but this is at least a taste.

6 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

I was able to find Viper Room on archive.org for free.  Couldn't find the 92 live in Japan on there though.

https://archive.org/details/tsp1998-01-15.sm57.flac16

There's a good chance the vinyl version that's been done will sound better, but this is at least a taste.

Also on the hunt for a Japan rip if anyone finds a link anywhere

11 hours ago, dreamover said:

The rumor of black standard pressings came from an instagram Q&A billy did when the archival releases were first announced. He's since implied that these are 1-time pressings due to vinyl pressing constraints and the desire to get more releases out, rather than higher pressing numbers. The prices are high, but I think he's taking into account that if things were normal, these would have much higher pressing numbers. I'm sure Billy's a bit out of touch with reality regarding record prices, but it's hard to argue that they're not priced in the sweet spot where everyone who wants it enough can get it keeping in mind these will have substantial resale value. It feels lame. But if they were priced at $30/each, the resale market would be making more than the band and a lot of us would have to pay more than $80 to get it.

As for the shipping prices, ridiculous. 

Now that I've sat out the first few, this set of releases is getting increasingly painful to miss out on as a fan. I wish they would at least put the tracks on Bandcamp or something.

I don't know why, but I purchased the non-signed version. I've never purchased an album that was this expensive unless it was a box set. the fear of missing out on this one was real. If they weren't acoustic, I would have said no since I'm sure they would have sounded like shit being recorded live and all.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:42 AM, ejc625 said:

I don't know why, but I purchased the non-signed version. I've never purchased an album that was this expensive unless it was a box set. the fear of missing out on this one was real. If they weren't acoustic, I would have said no since I'm sure they would have sounded like shit being recorded live and all.

If you want to get rid of your copy, I’d be interested. Or if anyone body an extra copy, hit me up. I’ve been camping for the last 5 days and just got back to civilization. 

1 hour ago, pepperonigin said:

Anybody still waiting on Live From Japan shipment confirmation? I know they have a lot of orders to go through but just curious.

I received mine about a week ago.  I think they're still fulfilling orders, but you can follow up and ask if needed.  I had to make an address change one time with ZuZu's and they were very quick to respond and help me out.

• 1 month later...

Zuzu newsletter regarding a listening party on June 18th says:

" SP Archive Black Vinyl Edition will be Available In Store only! ALL DAY!

Live In K, Live at the Viper room and Rubano Tapes Vol.1"

There was never a listing for a black Rubano was there (did they do any of them in black)? And they already have these in store to sell? Still 2-4 months out from when they said the blue Rubano would ship.

Edited by fish

4 hours ago, fish said:

Zuzu newsletter regarding a listening party on June 18th says:

" SP Archive Black Vinyl Edition will be Available In Store only! ALL DAY!

Live In K, Live at the Viper room and Rubano Tapes Vol.1"

There was never a listing for a black Rubano was there (did they do any of them in black)? And they already have these in store to sell? Still 2-4 months out from when they said the blue Rubano would ship.

This is the first time black has been available for any of them.  I’m wondering if they’ll release them online after the event?