WTF! Post: eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms

Applicable to the main board so will post here as a lot of folks still use eBay to sell their records. 

BBC Report: eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms - BBC News

Given how heavily leaning to the buyers' "rights" and shit...this will be up things with all those punishers out there. 

Yeah, I figured this out the hard way when I sold a vintage guitar pedal a couple months ago. Had to wait like 7 days after I shipped the damn thing until I got my money deposited into my account, was not a fan in the least. Kinda feels like eBay is now catering to people who run full blown marketplaces that sell a ton of items a day and not your regular Joe who sells a couple things a year. 

6 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Kinda feels like eBay is now catering to people who run full blown marketplaces that sell a ton of items a day and not your regular Joe who sells a couple things a year. 

Well, I mean... organized marketplaces have to be where the vast majority of their business comes from anymore. 

So as a seller, are you now being expected to send out the record/product out as soon as the order is placed/committed by the buyer?!?!? Because that two-day lag of seeing the payment(s) in your account is going to be an ample window for the punishers to start in with their bullshit. 

"Where is my record?!?!?"

"Why hasn't my record gone out yet?!?!"

"Where's my tracking?!?!"

It sounds very convoluted and yet another notch in eBay's always siding with the buyer bullshit. 

Started using the managed payments in Jan this year and its totally fine, 1st sale using it is a little fiddly but after that smooth sailing. 

Also the new system without paypal taking their cut means you make even more from a sale if you have any listing deals (like $/£1 flat final value fee instead of the usual % cut).  

Yeah it take a bit to get used to, but way better IMO.  No worrying about end of the month invoices, or even worse sorting out sales tax to 50 different states.  All nice and easily handled by ebay, just takes a couple days for the money to clear into you bank account...which is how most banks already work anyway.

After being hesitant to switch over and give ebay all that info I did it a few months ago and I like it better. Ebay lets you know when the person has paid, takes their cut and puts it in your bank account the next day.

43 minutes ago, jhulud said:

So as a seller, are you now being expected to send out the record/product out as soon as the order is placed/committed by the buyer?!?!? Because that two-day lag of seeing the payment(s) in your account is going to be an ample window for the punishers to start in with their bullshit. 

"Where is my record?!?!?"

"Why hasn't my record gone out yet?!?!"

"Where's my tracking?!?!"

It sounds very convoluted and yet another notch in eBay's always siding with the buyer bullshit. 

No? Ebay tells you when they've paid that you should ship.

What's the difference in whether its ebay or paypal siding with the buyer? It's actually kind of surprising that its taken this long since Paypal spun off as its own company like 6 years ago.

One good thing is, when someone buys a $250 record from me at 3am and then messages me at 10am to say their child stole their credit card, I can refund them from my pending payout with no charge. PayPal used to keep their transaction fee so I’d lose money each time I refunded someone who immediately canceled their “accidental” order.

2 minutes ago, jhulud said:

But do they tell you as soon as the buyer has made the payment or when the payment has hit your account?

You get alerted when the buyer pays, and it tells you to ship the item. The label cost is deducted from your pending payouts. (which then take 2-3 business days for you to get).

I was much happier on the PayPal system, but I foolishly went into managed payments when they were offering a promotion on it so i'm just used to it by this point. Still sucks that if you get paid late Thursday, you won't see that money until the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

Edited by Snaggle Von Swift

11 minutes ago, jhulud said:

But do they tell you as soon as the buyer has made the payment or when the payment has hit your account?

7 minutes ago, Snaggle Von Swift said:

You get alerted when the buyer pays, and it tells you to ship the item. The label cost is deducted from your pending payouts. (which then take 2-3 business days for you to get).

I was much happier on the PayPal system, but I foolishly went into managed payments when they were offering a promotion on it so i'm just used to it by this point. Still sucks that if you get paid late Thursday, you won't see that money until the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

As mentioned above they tell you as soon as the buyer makes the payment and yeah if its later in the day it might take 2 days to hit your bank account, but in reality that's no different that paypal where it takes a few days to transfer the money to your bank after getting paid.

Just now, MCDELTAT said:

Hmmm.. I've always used Discogs lately for records since it's easier to find the variant someone wants, etc. Lower cut than eBay as well. I do have some computer stuff listed there right now, but hoping it sells elsewhere.

I think they take the same cut now. Ebay is 12% and discogs is 9% + paypal's 3%.

17 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

One good thing is, when someone buys a $250 record from me at 3am and then messages me at 10am to say their child stole their credit card, I can refund them from my pending payout with no charge. PayPal used to keep their transaction fee so I’d lose money each time I refunded someone who immediately canceled their “accidental” order.

I had this happen a few months ago. Buyer paid for a record and before I shipped it said they found it cheaper and wanted to cancel. I said sure - I'll refund you minus the fees that I don't get back. They threw a fit and filed an item not received paypal claim so I just shipped the record, won the claim. They messaged me after they got it asking why I shipped it after they asked me to cancel the order. I told them because they filed a claim that they never received the item.

I really don't like how you now can't charge a set amount for shipping different records on Discogs. Some records I require insurance or signature required if it's a lot of money and you can't differentiate that for each listing. Now I just bundle in shipping with the price.

2 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I really don't like how you now can't charge a set amount for shipping different records on Discogs. Some records I require insurance or signature required if it's a lot of money and you can't differentiate that for each listing. Now I just bundle in shipping with the price.

Yeah, the requirement to put shipping amounts by weight/location is pretty awful. I just made it super expensive for international and put in my notes to either message me before or that I'll refund the difference after. The nice thing is people will often message before and can just have them paypal and avoid fees/taxes.

9 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

Yeah, the requirement to put shipping amounts by weight/location is pretty awful. I just made it super expensive for international and put in my notes to either message me before or that I'll refund the difference after. The nice thing is people will often message before and can just have them paypal and avoid fees/taxes.

I have international buyers message me their address so I can get a quote. Then if they agree to the total cost, I temporarily open my shop to their country with their shipping quote as the universal flat fee and I cross my fingers that the buyer checks out quickly before some other dude from Finland buys 20 pop-punk records and bankrupts me in shipping costs.

3 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

I have international buyers message me their address so I can get a quote. Then if they agree to the total cost, I temporarily open my shop to their country with their shipping quote as the universal flat fee and I cross my fingers that the buyer checks out quickly before some other dude from Finland buys 20 pop-punk records and bankrupts me in shipping costs.

Much easier to respond with the total and your paypal address.