Jump to content

WTF! Post: eBay sellers can no longer use PayPal under new terms


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, mitchard said:

Well, I mean... organized marketplaces have to be where the vast majority of their business comes from anymore. 

Nah, I get it. Etsy does the same thing. I don't think about it too much with them because I'll get a couple deposits throughout the month, however the items I sell there aren't necessarily costly to myself or the buyer so it doesn't really cross my mind. I'm just sayin' eBay has a connotation with rare items/collectors, so it kinda sucks for people who are selling rarer goods to just put an expensive item into a mailbox and hope everything works for them 5-7 business days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

Not totally sure but I think Discogs is 8%. 

You're right.

Discogs = 8% + 3% paypal = 11%.

Ebay = 12.5%

When Discogs started its marketplace and it was 3% vs 9% it made a difference. 1.5% doesn't make a difference to me, but I'm glad that I'm not getting charged 12.5% + 3% paypal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no the sky is falling! I've been using this for months now and beyond the initial "where's my money?" confusion there's no difference or reason to complain. This is actually faster than manually transferring to my bank after it goes in PayPal anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, timpopkid said:

I preferred it going to PayPal so I could keep that money separate from the normal bank account money that’s used to buy garlic and pay the sewer bill.

Make a second bank account, its not that hard.  Think I was at the bank maybe 15-20 minutes to set up my business account.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I only sell 2 or 3 things a month but I've had no issues with this. Money always shows up in my account within a few days of shipping them. I sell on ebay more than discogs only because of Ebay's Global Shipping Program. It makes it so much easier for me (and unfortunately so much more expensive for the buyer) to ship overseas. I do miss having my Paypal balance that I used for purchases so that my wife had no idea what I was buying especially since prices for some things have gotten so out of hand this past year.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's a funny exchange I've just had with an eBay seller. It's not a record but something that I'm considering as a gift. Their shipping item description says that it will be shipped in a flat rate padded envelope from USPS. 

 

I messaged them about it:

 

Me: Hi. Just curious. The shipping info says that it's shipped in a padded flat rate envelope. Wouldn't it be better & safer to send it in a flat rate box? Thank you. Cheers!  J.

 

Their reply: If you want it shipped in a box that is not a problem.

 

A few minutes later...they messaged me again:

 

Them: Are You Buying J?

 

My reply: I am considering it. Will likely make an offer.

 

Their reply: Make it good.

 

This wall within a span of not even 30 minutes. Just thought it was funny. 

 

 

Carry on. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fish said:

I do miss having my Paypal balance that I used for purchases so that my wife had no idea what I was buying especially since prices for some things have gotten so out of hand this past year.

 

 

This is my biggest issue with the newer Ebay managed payments. I always liked the payments going to my Paypal, that acted as my own personal piggy bank, separate from the bank account shared with the Misses. Made it much easier to buy records like it was my damn job! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, shenanigans said:

You're right.

Discogs = 8% + 3% paypal = 11%.

Ebay = 12.5%

When Discogs started its marketplace and it was 3% vs 9% it made a difference. 1.5% doesn't make a difference to me, but I'm glad that I'm not getting charged 12.5% + 3% paypal.

Don't forget Ebay charges the 12.5% fee on the shipping you charge also. For someone like me in Canada where it costs $20 to ship a record that's another couple dollars in fees. They also charge a 0.4% fee for "international orders" when I ship to the US. AND they charge provincial and federal tax on the fee.

I just checked my last sale of a record and it was 15.88% in fees.

 

Edited by TheComebackKid
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhulud said:

So here's a funny exchange I've just had with an eBay seller. It's not a record but something that I'm considering as a gift. Their shipping item description says that it will be shipped in a flat rate padded envelope from USPS. 

 

I messaged them about it:

 

Me: Hi. Just curious. The shipping info says that it's shipped in a padded flat rate envelope. Wouldn't it be better & safer to send it in a flat rate box? Thank you. Cheers!  J.

 

Their reply: If you want it shipped in a box that is not a problem.

 

A few minutes later...they messaged me again:

 

Them: Are You Buying J?

 

My reply: I am considering it. Will likely make an offer.

 

Their reply: Make it good.

 

This wall within a span of not even 30 minutes. Just thought it was funny. 

 

 

Carry on. 

 

 

 

Speak Out Womens Rights GIF by UN Women

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Me: Hi. Just curious. The shipping info says that it's shipped in a padded flat rate envelope. Wouldn't it be better & safer to send it in a flat rate box? Thank you. Cheers!  J.

Why not just ask nicely if they can ship it in a box if you buy it? I don't understand the entitlement / attitude in the wording. Why is this so funny?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×

oh my wow GIF by ESPN Deportes

 

Please disable AdBlock OR sign-in in order to be able to access our website...

I Understand, I'll disable it for this website