PO Now: Dave Chappelle - 846

I didn’t see a thread for this one.  The hand numbered tri-color sold out in about 10 minutes, but the black is up for PO now.  Shipping in October.

https://thirdmanstore.com/products/846

Third Man Records is proud to release a black vinyl pressing of Dave Chappelle’s viral video, 8:46. The video was YouTube's top trending video of 2020 with over 30 million views on the official post and 7.5 million views on Chappelle’s Instagram (@davechappelle).

The video and subsequent album, is a searing rumination in the aftermath of the murder of George Floyd that ingited worldwide outrage and led to protests on race inequality, police brutality and the criminal justice system. Filmed in Ohio on June 6, during the COVID-19 lockdown, 8:46addresses one deadly plague, while in the grips of another. 

The B-side of the album features poet Amir Sulaiman’s performance of “My Insides Out” and “We Must Win,” also recorded in Ohio. It also includes “White Noise,” 8 minutes and 46 seconds of silence in remembrance of George Floyd and the countless victims of police brutality and systemic racism.

The album cover and artwork features performance, backstage photos from Chappelle’s concert as well as images from various George Floyd protests in Los Angeles, CA, all taken by Grammy-nominated artist and photographer Mathieu Bitton. Photography made available courtesy of Pilot Boy Productions, Inc. The black vinyl is pressed at Third Man Pressing in Detroit, MI.

Every aspect of this project, from the performance, the directing, the sound mix and mastering, the design and photography, was completed by artists who graciously donated their time and efforts. Proceeds from the vinyl sales will be donated to Chappelle's high school alma mater, Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC.

When I was a student at Duke Ellington, the teachers instilled in me the notion of activism through art,” said Chappelle. "We need more soldiers for great causes on the stage.”

10 hours ago, Squard said:

Good "comedy" piece, but tbh I don't understand why anyone would buy comedy on vinyl anymore. Made sense when that was the best way to own audio, but now?

I mean it's more of a history piece. It affected an entire year of protests basically. I wanted one of those Bernie Sanders flexi-discs with Thurston Moore, but flippers got their hands on those too lol.

10 hours ago, Squard said:

Good "comedy" piece, but tbh I don't understand why anyone would buy comedy on vinyl anymore. Made sense when that was the best way to own audio, but now?

This is true for pretty much every record. 

Edited by timsimmons

3 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

I mean it's more of a history piece. It affected an entire year of protests basically. I wanted one of those Bernie Sanders flexi-discs with Thurston Moore, but flippers got their hands on those too lol.

Chappelle is pretty out of touch imo. He is a fantastic comedian but to make speeches like this while also supporting people like Kamala Harris is not it for me.

But aside from peoples thoughts on the content, who cares if people want it. I literally have a 7 inch for fucking bug snacks lol. 

24 minutes ago, DafTyler said:

Chappelle is pretty out of touch imo. He is a fantastic comedian but to make speeches like this while also supporting people like Kamala Harris is not it for me.

But aside from peoples thoughts on the content, who cares if people want it. I literally have a 7 inch for fucking bug snacks lol. 

They made a bugsnax theme 7”???

On 6/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, Squard said:

I just completed my Bill Hicks collection with the third vinyl released posthumously. It has extra material not featured on the CD release, but I guess I could’ve just bought the material digitally.

But fuck that ‘cause it’s fuckin’ Bill Hicks!

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, texan4life said:

LOL step away from the corporate media. There is a reason we were only shown a less than 9 min clip and not the full 20+ min clip. 

What's the reason? What could possibly justify kneeling on a man's neck for 9 minutes while he begs you to get off of him because he's being suffocated to death? Because he used a counterfeit bill?