PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)

Yeah OCHL was awesome. I wouldn’t be surprised (and also wouldn’t mind) if they strayed away from their BM leanings even further. The least impressive part of the last record were Clarke’s vocals and I can see them seriously holding back the band from exploring new territories. I’d love to be wrong though. 

7 minutes ago, zaoza said:

listening to the single now. Deafheaven goes indie pop? i dunno haha but going into it with an open mind, i like the riffs. full on clean singing too.

I'm still digesting it.  The last minute teases a more signature sound, but those first 5 minutes are far more Turnover than Deafheaven.  If I went in blind, I doubt I'd be able to tell it was even Deafheaven.  This single is going to 100% polarize the current fanbase.  I think the majority that listen to Deafheaven for the denser metal elements are going to be pretty soured.  It's such a departure than even unapologetic fanboys will have their work cut out for them.  I wouldn't want a full album of this, but it's still > Night People for me.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I'm still digesting it.  The last minute teases a more signature sound, but those first 5 minutes are far more Turnover than Deafheaven.  If I went in blind, I doubt I'd be able to tell it was even Deafheaven.  This single is going to 100% polarize the current fanbase.  I think the majority that listen to Deafheaven for the denser metal elements are going to be pretty soured.  It's such a departure than even unapologetic fanboys will have their work cut out for them.  I wouldn't want a full album of this, but it's still > Night People for me.

Lol people were UPSET over any amount of clean vocals before… this is a whole different ball game, especially if it’s a sign of more to come.

It was about as jarring as hearing the first PBTT single after The Lack Long After, but I think I’ll like the end result this time as well.

3 minutes ago, zaoza said:

Definitely gonna polarize the fanbase. I still hope the other tracks will still be heavy and this first song is just a curveball. But they can just write whatever they feel like creatively at this point, and I'm fine with that.

Allegedly, friends / family of the band have had the album in hand for a while and are insisting that there are still plenty of shoegaze / metal / jammy sections on the record, like we've come to expect and enjoy with each Deafheaven record.  I just wonder, now, if they're going to be used more sparingly in favor of these more experimental directions they're exploring.

29 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I wouldn't want a full album of this,,,.

I'm digging the single, but I agree that a full album of this just would not cut it. Still, you think of the middle section of The Pecan Tree, it sounds very similar.  Maybe just bringing some of those elements back is what they have wanted to do for a while. Ending is killer. 

Just now, JRHews said:

I'm digging the single, but I agree that a full album of this just would not cut it. Still, you think of the middle section of The Pecan Tree, it sounds very similar.  Maybe just bringing some of those elements back is what they have wanted to do for a while. Ending is killer. 

The band's DNA is in there somewhere, I agree.  Like it's not a full-on J-Pop track or anything that jarring.  But probably their biggest stylistic leap, if you ask me – not counting OCHL's Night People – which is an especially bold move as a single.  I have to imagine that there is a much more "signature Deafheaven" sounding cut that will get released in July or the beginning of August, to follow the 1-2 punch of singles they rolled out for OCHL's release.  Kind of funny that they'd lead with this one; tough to not feel like they're trolling the fanbase a bit.  If there's a second single and it's cut from this same cloth though, I'll really wonder what's going on.

Band has done no wrong as far as I'm concerned though, and I have no reason to doubt their songwriting chops for a full LP.  I'll blindly PO even after this perplexing first track.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Allegedly, friends / family of the band have had the album in hand for a while and are insisting that there are still plenty of shoegaze / metal / jammy sections on the record, like we've come to expect and enjoy with each Deafheaven record.  I just wonder, now, if they're going to be used more sparingly in favor of these more experimental directions they're exploring.

Glad to have that bit of reassurance. Even if the ratio is leaning more towards the experimental stuff, I'm still in for the ride for now. Raised eyebrows initially? Yes. But interested to just observe where they're heading in this new era.

47 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

If anyone uses Chrome and want's a free VPN extension to hear the song, K2VPN works. 

Thanks, that was really helpful!  The song surprised me. I like it, but I can see how it would be really divisive. I can't imagine the entire album will be like this. As Derek mentioned, the last minute hints at some traditional Deafheaven material. Still, I imagine this album will be pretty different, and I am here for it.

• jhulud changed the title to PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)