PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)

I would hope they wouldn't tip their hand and lead with what they consider the best moment on the album.  It's cool that it has Brian's seal of approval but his post just fortifies the idea that the metal elements are basically absent this time around.

Looks like the "Shellstar" cloudy clear is sold out from Hellomerch at the moment.

2 hours ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Turnover was my first thought! I’m here for this. 

edit- wow fuck bullmoose. Way to shit in like a decade of good will in one afternoon. 

they been fucking up orders and not fulfilling preorders left and right lately anyway. 

There's been no shortage of Turnover memes and comparisons on Facebook, I saw earlier.  Including "Tvrnover" – which is admittedly pretty good.

Also, yeah, I know it's technically the 1 store but Bull Moose as a whole have been super shoddy about fulfilling pre-orders for me.  Pains me bad because I've had the best luck with their prices, customer service, and shipping / mailers over the years.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I would hope they wouldn't tip their hand and lead with what they consider the best moment on the album.  It's cool that it has Brian's seal of approval but his post just fortifies the idea that the metal elements are basically absent this time around.

Looks like the "Shellstar" cloudy clear is sold out from Hellomerch at the moment.

Them seem to have pushed some Euro stock back over to the US store for the Shellstar variant. Looks like they also revealed pressing amounts. Glass - /1000. Shellstar - /2000. Pic disc - /3000.

2 hours ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Them seem to have pushed some Euro stock back over to the US store for the Shellstar variant. Looks like they also revealed pressing amounts. Glass - /1000. Shellstar - /2000. Pic disc - /3000.

The shellstar was at 66 copies this morning on evil greed and is at 8 copies now

There's over 200 copies back in stock at hello merch since it sold out so wherever they got them from it's not evil greed

6 minutes ago, Carden said:

The shellstar was at 66 copies this morning on evil greed and is at 8 copies now

There's over 200 copies back in stock at hello merch since it sold out so wherever they got them from it's not evil greed

Hmm. Makes sense since shellstar started at like 1k on Hello Merch and 500 on EG. I wonder why they seem to have held so many back, there's potentially 250 more that haven't been posted.

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP5zhZoAcRh/?utm_medium=copy_link

Picture disc will likely be the worst sonically but it does look nice in this digital mock-up.

I've got my eye on this for when everyone offload their copies for cheap.

While I admit I am a little bummed that they've basically completely ditched the harsh vocals on this record, I am pretty excited to hear the entire album. I've been listening to the single a lot in the last day and I absolutely love it. It's a real grower and I can't wait for the rest of the album.

12 hours ago, dantheriver said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP5zhZoAcRh/?utm_medium=copy_link

Picture disc will likely be the worst sonically but it does look nice in this digital mock-up.

Yeah if it's still available later for cheap, I might grab it. They at least went for something cool and not just "put the artwork on the disc"

I really dig the new track, the tail end seemed to hint at transitioning into something heavy, I'd be a bit disappointed if that wasn't the case, but I like this more than the last album. Thinking of going for the clear w/light blue. And while I generally don't do picture discs, that mockup kind of looks like one side of each record might be one of those zoetrope prints that animate when spinning which could be cool.

Probs gonna wait to hear something else off this before purchasing? New song is not bad for what it is. Guess I am in that boat alot of others are in with the style change and not sure how to feel about it. 

Idk if anyone in here would be down but the band Show Me A Dinosaur released a new album this year that i think is pretty dece and def reminds me of more Sunbather/New Bermuda Deafheaven than this song. Especially vocally...

https://showmeadinosaur.bandcamp.com/album/plantgazer

I have a lot of thoughts. 

1)  I think OCHL is their best album.  Sunbather is, of course, the greatest.  But OCHL is by far their most mature and developed album.  It sounds confident, and easy.   Completely in command.  I can understand not liking it though, it's got a lot of happy parts.  But that's because the band is happy now.  That's good.  You can always listen to the older aggro stuff.  I'd prefer them to be clean, sober, and not dead or doing drugs. 

2) Honeycomb is probably their best song, rivaled only by Dreamhouse.  I agree with Derek.

3) This still sounds exactly like Deafheaven, just without metal parts.  The chord changes and the way the melodies and bass lines are constructed, it's all classic Deafheaven.  It's the same shit, just soft!  That's cool.  I like it. 

4) The end of the song was too brief.  They needed to milk that another 2 times around at least...  it had plenty of momentum to build to a bigger peak.  That's a rare poor songwriting choice on their end, IMO.  I hope it makes more sense in context.  The middle could have been pared down a little... i love it, and it's a great motif and jammy section but I felt like the middle is the longest part of the song and that's kind of weird.  Cut that shorter to make the ending longer.

5) I am *VERY* skeptical that George can sing like this, live.  I am reminded of Aaron Turner in the late-era ISIS material, where the studio allowed him to perfect his clean harmonies but he struggled to hit them on stage.  His live clean singing is not his strong suit.  I hope George can pull it off, but I am very, very skeptical. 

39 minutes ago, buddha4281 said:

Idk if anyone in here would be down but the band Show Me A Dinosaur released a new album this year that i think is pretty dece and def reminds me of more Sunbather/New Bermuda Deafheaven than this song. Especially vocally...

This.  There are so many moments on that new SMAD where I am super weirded out because it sounds EXACTLY LIKE DEAFHEAVEN.  Like, he sounds like George.  It's fucking weird how actually alike they sound. 

If you want more old Deafheaven and you aren't listening to Show Me A Dinosaur, you're doing it wrong.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:38 PM, buddha4281 said:

Another act that displays pretty approximate sounds overall is Sadness:
https://sadnessmusic.bandcamp.com/album/i-want-to-be-there-2

I've never been able to get into Deafheaven as much as I wanted to. The black metal vocals always seemed forced, and just never really seemed to complement the music in a way I found compelling. But I'm really liking this single. The Slowdive comparison is spot on. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

On 6/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, bjorn said:

I've never been able to get into Deafheaven as much as I wanted to. The black metal vocals always seemed forced, and just never really seemed to complement the music in a way I found compelling. But I'm really liking this single. The Slowdive comparison is spot on. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole thing.

Totally agree with you on this.  There are so many great elements going on but for me, everything was held back by the vocals.  That Pianos comparison is pretty spot on as well, as I love their newer records and don't really dig the earlier ones.

I'm down for the rest of this album to sound similar to or better than the single.

• jhulud changed the title to PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)