PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)

57 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

I'm fine with his new style. Not fine with lack of dynamics in the music/songwriting. Maybe it will grow on me within the context of the whole album.

I haven't listened to the newest single yet but that's how I feel about the prior 2 singles.  They're serviceable and easy on the ears but even if George is toning things down, it doesn't mean that the rest of the musicianship has to wind down so much.  Alcest is a great example of that – some of the best moments on my favorite records of theirs go in, instrumentally, with either no singing or clean vocals woven in.  It's totally doable.  But clearly not what Deafheaven set out to do this time around.  Name of the game is minimal and spacey, I guess... at least compared to their previous catalog.  It'll be tough for me to instinctively reach for this one when I'm in a Deafheaven mood, and will also take me some time to accept that there's an LP on the shelf that fits a "Deafheaven & chill" vibe.

2 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

the new songs aren’t really doing anything for me, I don’t hate or love them

Though I will say that Dan’s drumming on this new song is awesome and worth listening to over and over again

This. Glad I didn’t preorder the album. Still wanna hear the album in full before writing it off completely but went from stoked to idgaf about it 

I really really  fucking enjoyed Great Mass of Color. The clean singing style and the explosive clash of the harsh vocals in the background at the end was great. The other 2 singles are just questionable for me. 

I can't help but feel like this should have been a Clarke solo record or band side project. You don't get that Deafheaven branding but marketed right; it would've sold well, imo. After reading the interviews, I understand why they felt going this route though.

Who knows? Maybe they have a second album up their sleeve ready to go for 2021/2022 that's more inline.

I've personally enjoyed all the singles so far. They've ben giving us a little of everything and I'm all for that. As much as the purists would love to have a Sunbather v2.0...I don't blame the band for wanting to expand their style and get away from the blackgaze they started off with. 

"In Blur" is full-on 100% shoegaze that sounds like it came out straight out of the 90's scene at its peak and would've had the video premiere on 120 Minutes back in the day. And I'm all for that as a fanboy of that whole 90's shoegaze and Britpop scene. 

So, I'm a big fan of shoegaze too, but if I were told that Deafheaven had made a shoegaze album, I'd have thought slightly more along the lines of the band, Pyramids, who made swirly ambient music with murky blastbeats in the background. I would obviously expect clearer production than that with Deafheaven, but I don't understand why they didn't retain some of the metal aspects they were known for... If there were a few blastbeats and a few more shrieks now and again would've made some more memorable moments on these lead tracks. For example, Dillinger Escape Plan would make a rock song, but they'd incorporate some technical elements into it to maintain their sound. This is just a different band even if exaggerating the more mellow parts from their past.

After listening to "In Blur", my feeling is that Deafheaven is generic now.  The thing that made them stand out and really fucking cool was that they put the blastbeats and black metal vocals over the bright, major key pretty parts.  Now they're just another shoegaze band. 

It's not bad, it's just forgettable.  I wanted so badly for the blast beats and screaming to come in at the end of In Blur to push it to the top, and it just doesn't happen.  Feels like wasted momentum.

I totally get the wanting to change thing and getting sick of doing the same thing, but what made them so unique was their "Fuck it" attitude of "Fuck you, basement Darkthrone and Mgla purists, we're gonna put shoegaze and 90's rock over your blast beats" but now they've just gone and become another band in a sea of shoegaze bands. 

The only thing remarkable is the style shift from their previous work.  Nothing stood out, I can't recall as single part of any of the songs right now.  Like I said, it's not bad....  it's good, actually.  Well done, but not memorable.  ::Shrug::   

This is the classic instance where someone who is completely unaware of a band, becomes aware at a time where coincidentally said band decides to shift their sound and polarize their fanbase. And typically that someone ends up enjoying the band a lot. 

That someone, is me. 

Bye, bye 👋

19 minutes ago, no.one said:

in blur sounds nothing like "deafheaven" --------- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anyway, 2 out of 20... not too bad!

Yeah, I would hope you wouldn't recommend that Dreamhouse sounds similar to In Blur, hahahaha.

You're only 2 for 20 since I'm only familiar with two of the bands.  If you are actually saying that these bands sound like In Blur then I'll check them out, but it seems like you're just trying to be clever

15 minutes ago, daegor said:

Yeah, I would hope you wouldn't recommend that Dreamhouse sounds similar to In Blur, hahahaha.

You're only 2 for 20 since I'm only familiar with two of the bands.  If you are actually saying that these bands sound like In Blur then I'll check them out, but it seems like you're just trying to be clever

I'd say half those bands ripped their sound directly from other bands anyways. I wouldn't like the new Deafheaven either if I followed shoegaze closer tbh. I'll stick with the 5 I like from that list and keep enjoying Deafheaven "ripping off" the other rip offs to mix things up rather than define themselves as a band. The song doesn't even sound the same as the other two singles so I don't see where the argument is coming from.

Edited by The Fuck Whisperer

1 hour ago, daegor said:

(haha, to save a little time, they're all shoegaze bands I could think of off the top of my head... a number of them are solid Canadian ones that deserve a little more recognition though!!)

Edited by no.one

1 hour ago, daegor said:

you should be familiar with slowdive too though, yea? one of the all-time legends in the genre...

• jhulud changed the title to PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)