PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)

Few things - 

“Shellstar” variant has little to no surface noise and sounds good to the end of the album.

Additionally, “Mombasa” is one of their best songs and I love this album and how the end of that song makes me wanna just dive back into their old catalog. Used to be I’d need a break after listening to a full album of theirs, but this is a p good segue into their back catalog.

Listening to that last song also makes me think we wouldn’t be wrong to expect more metal-tinged material in the future.

On 8/28/2021 at 3:28 AM, prowl20 said:

A/B side sounded pretty good. C side was progressively worse and D side was pretty bad. Lots of noise on the right channel. (This was after thoroughly cleaning the record)

I'm noticing this ALLLLL the time on new records.  My Dark Operative "The Four Trees" from Caspian is unlistenable because the right channel is all kinds of fucked.  It's like the stamper had a rock in it or something.  Ripping static all through the entirety of LP1 on both sides.  Same thing too: right channel. 

Anybody grab the 2nd presses?  It seems all copies save for the Rough Trade variant have problems with shitty pressings.

38 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

It seems all copies save for the Rough Trade variant have problems with shitty pressings.

I’m reading nothing but positive things about the Shellstar variant and can’t wait for mine to show up.  Continuing the trend of late where opaque variants seem to sound notably less consistent than translucent(ish) ones.

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm noticing this ALLLLL the time on new records.  My Dark Operative "The Four Trees" from Caspian is unlistenable because the right channel is all kinds of fucked.  It's like the stamper had a rock in it or something.  Ripping static all through the entirety of LP1 on both sides.  Same thing too: right channel. 

Anybody grab the 2nd presses?  It seems all copies save for the Rough Trade variant have problems with shitty pressings.

That's partially why I refuse to buy anything from Dark Operative. I really wanted those TWDY "Variants & Rarities" but I know they'll probably sound terrible. I don't remember Magic Bullet stuff sounding that bad.

21 hours ago, prowl20 said:

That's partially why I refuse to buy anything from Dark Operative. I really wanted those TWDY "Variants & Rarities" but I know they'll probably sound terrible. I don't remember Magic Bullet stuff sounding that bad.

it was also bad.  With Caspian, I figured there was a lower shot of them letting shitty pressings come out.  For the most part, they do sound really good.  The mastering is well-done, it's just that my copy of Four Trees is fucked.  YATC is fine, no better than my OG and I do enjoy the Tertia pressing better than my original.

First Press:
1000x Seaglass - Trans. Light Blue
2000x Shellstar - Cloudy Blue
3000x Deluxe Picture Disc + Poster
Black

Second Press:
1500x Clear w/ Cobalt Blue Splatter
1500x Cobalt Blue w/ Black Heavy Splatter
2000x Light Blue In Clear

Indepedent store exclusives:
750x Granite silver (Rough Trade exclusive)
?x Neptune blue (Indie store exclusive)

Edited by youspinmeround

I think this record is really cool, and could be in the running for my favorite album this year. I had already preordered the pic disc from hello merch (along with some other cool Sargent House stuff) but I got impatient waiting for HM to ship so I also picked up a Neptune Blue copy from my local record shop. For whatever reason the hello merch preorder took two extra weeks to ship so I haven't had a chance to compare both the pressings yet. 

My main question for other people with the picture disc/zoetrope editions: Are these plastic sleeves that hold the picture discs gonna hurt the record?

Reason I ask is I bought a copy of Glassjaw's Worship and Tribute on white vinyl a few years ago and it was also housed in a similar see thru sleeve but i dont know if it was the same type of plastic? 

18 hours ago, platonicplatypi said:

I think this record is really cool, and could be in the running for my favorite album this year. I had already preordered the pic disc from hello merch (along with some other cool Sargent House stuff) but I got impatient waiting for HM to ship so I also picked up a Neptune Blue copy from my local record shop. For whatever reason the hello merch preorder took two extra weeks to ship so I haven't had a chance to compare both the pressings yet. 

My main question for other people with the picture disc/zoetrope editions: Are these plastic sleeves that hold the picture discs gonna hurt the record?

Reason I ask is I bought a copy of Glassjaw's Worship and Tribute on white vinyl a few years ago and it was also housed in a similar see thru sleeve but i dont know if it was the same type of plastic? 

Not sure about damaging directly, but I had a hard time pulling them out without touching the grooves as they would stick to the plastic.  I put them in some mo-fi inner sleeves and did not put them back in the pockets. As a side note, my zoetrope copy sounded good throughout, with minimal noise, and the 3 animations are pretty cool in person.  Glad I picked up this version.

Edited by grizzlyfoz

On 9/10/2021 at 12:37 AM, platonicplatypi said:

Always remove records from these sleeves permanently. Usually such sleeves are made of PVC which causes "outgassing". It will leave foggy markings on the record.

Edited by Iggy_Pilot

2 hours ago, xghettoskramzerx said:

Does anyone in Europe is still waiting to receive their Shellstar pressing? I ordered mine via Evil Greed. Some friends received their copy already, and they ordered a copy via EG as well, and I still waiting for mine...

Ordered from Evil greed (to Canada, but still...) I'm still waiting. I emailed to ask about it last week, here is the response:
"thank you for reaching out.

We just received our first delivery of 'SHELLSTAR - CLOUDLY BLUE' vinyl variant. As we will ship orders chronological we will do our best to bring your order as soon as possible on its way. We do hope to receive our second delivery of our copies soon and will hopefully be able to send all pending orders soon.

Thank you so much for your patience."

Edited by Mars

I finally got around to spinning my copy this weekend. I got the Neptune Blue indie variant, LP1 was slightly warped but playback wasn’t affected, though side A had a bunch of surface noise. LP 2 had way less surface noise and wasn’t warped. 

All things considered I still think I’d rather listen to this album on wax than streaming it, it sounds so flat and kind of boring in my car (Villain and Mombasa aside) but I was jamming and vibing the whole way in my comfy chair at home with my headphones on. 

• 2 months later...