PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)

On 6/11/2021 at 7:19 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

If you want more old Deafheaven and you aren't listening to Show Me A Dinosaur, you're doing it wrong.

Definitely agree with this.  I've listened to SMAD before, but I don't think they've ever quite tapped into the Deafheaven success formula as much as they've done on their last album, Plantgazer.  (I mean, the name alone... ha.)  Been enjoying that one since December, and will probably get even more mileage out of it now that I know Deafheaven aren't returning to reclaim that particular throne this year. 

4 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Wish I had gotten in on the plantgazer group buy.

If it makes you feel any better, there wasn't one.  A1KA received a tiny allotment of copies for US customers, and they went live the same time international copies went up for order.  The US ones got snagged up in under a minute flat, I'm pretty sure.

17 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If it makes you feel any better, there wasn't one.  A1KA received a tiny allotment of copies for US customers, and they went live the same time international copies went up for order.  The US ones got snagged up in under a minute flat, I'm pretty sure.

Damn! I don’t think I can justify the $50+ to import that bad boy. Hopefully they sell through the first press in the near future and a second press makes it to A1KA.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:59 PM, Derek™ said:

Definitely agree with this.  I've listened to SMAD before, but I don't think they've ever quite tapped into the Deafheaven success formula as much as they've done on their last album, Plantgazer.  (I mean, the name alone... ha.)  Been enjoying that one since December, and will probably get even more mileage out of it now that I know Deafheaven aren't returning to reclaim that particular throne this year. 

Yeah, i'll be honest i like the S/T album the most because it's more unique and THEM, rather than "Hey look we made a Deafheaven album."  I mean Plantgazer is often but it's so much exactly like Deafheaven at points it gets weird for me. 

On 6/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, dantheriver said:

Wish I had gotten in on the plantgazer group buy.

Yeah no group buy this time.  We got them through A1KA!  The copies you'd get from VOTU now are only a bit more expensive, so I would just pull the trigger man.  No sense in wasting your life without the music you love!

On 6/18/2021 at 1:44 PM, Derek™ said:

Yeah they were gone basically instantly.  I remember CJ posting about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Kanellos said:

100% clean vocals, so it's going to piss the regular crowd off

Honestly I'm grateful that we got the writeup that we did for the album, a few weeks back.  Because it really helped me set expectations.  Without spelling out what we're in for, I would have totally assumed that The Gnashing was going to be the single that goes in.  Just to avert expectations from the first single, and pile on hype as we get closer to August.  But yeah... anyone mad that George isn't shrieking on the last single will probably not love this new one.

But I will say this: I think it is definitively more "Deafheaven".  Still not going to be everyone's cut of tea, but at least it's not a Turnover / DIIV spinoff.  Instrumentally it is way, way closer to their prior material, which I do like.  Some skramz or shrill vocals would have made this the "Deafheaven: the Last Frontier" that so many of us were expecting before the first single dropped.  It is what it is.  I don't think it's going to change anyone's mind about the album, at this point.

59 minutes ago, Kanellos said:

100% clean vocals, so it's going to piss the regular crowd off. Instrumentation is excellent as always. "Now I see..." part is a bit repetitive. I'm not sure what to think just yet, but I like Great Mass of Color more right now. 

Welp looks like I might have to buy my first Deafheaven album then.  

So if this is the new direction then how will this translate live? Only metal set lists on some tours? Metal only encores? I’m not trying to be snarky I’m trying to imagine a show where they play stuff from their repertoire ( though I think they’ve stopped playing Roads to Judah, at least that was the case last two times I saw them live)

Edited by alwaysopenmouth
Spelling

3 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

So if this is the new direction then how will this translate live? Only metal set lists on some tours? Metal only encores? I’m not trying to be snarky I’m trying to imagine a show where they play stuff from their repertoire ( though I think they’ve stopped playing Roads to Judah, at least that was the case last two tons I saw them live)

They still play Judah material as far as I know, but it's sprinkled in very lightly.  Especially when it's 4 songs among their [now expansive] discography.  But to weigh in on your question, I don't see why they couldn't mix and match both styles into their setlists.  Tracks from this album could very well be the lighters-in-the-air breather that their setlist needs as they're getting older.  If George is going to continue using harsh vocals in live sets – which only seems inevitable unless they plan on rewriting clean vocals for every old song – then I bet inserting an Infinite Granite song or three across their setlists would be a godsend for his vocal cords.  Just speculation on my end, take any of the above with a grain of salt.

31 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

They still play Judah material as far as I know, but it's sprinkled in very lightly.  Especially when it's 4 songs among their [now expansive] discography.  But to weigh in on your question, I don't see why they couldn't mix and match both styles into their setlists.  Tracks from this album could very well be the lighters-in-the-air breather that their setlist needs as they're getting older.  If George is going to continue using harsh vocals in live sets – which only seems inevitable unless they plan on rewriting clean vocals for every old song – then I bet inserting an Infinite Granite song or three across their setlists would be a godsend for his vocal cords.  Just speculation on my end, take any of the above with a grain of salt.

Yeah I agree with you on that, though it’d be a shame if that’s when a bunch of people decide to hit the bar or go to the bathroom lol. I’m sure they took this into account and will have a nice varied set list

4 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Yeah I agree with you on that, though it’d be a shame if that’s when a bunch of people decide to hit the bar or go to the bathroom lol. I’m sure they took this into account and will have a nice varied set list

That seems inevitable, sadly.  But they're smart dudes and I think it's [very] safe to say that they calculated the risks and ruffled feathers with this stylistic switch-up.  They're a band first and foremost, and need to sell records and tickets to put food on the table... but based off interviews, they've made it pretty clear that they write the music they want to hear and play, themselves.  Which at the end of the day... I gotta' respect, even if it may not totally line up with my preferences.  I would have to imagine they're fully prepared to lose some metal purists and probably introduce some new fans into their brand of metal through gradual exposure.

3 hours ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I just can’t listen to black metal vocals without laughing no matter how good the music is.  

This is where I’m at. I’m ok with some sporadically if I like the clean stuff and the instrumentation  (Wildrun, for example) or if it’s low enough in the mix maybe (Soldat Hans) but a whole album of it just sounds like when my two year old tries to talk like Cookie Monster. I consider this a personal failing, but there it is. 

5 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

This is where I’m at. I’m ok with some sporadically if I like the clean stuff and the instrumentation  (Wildrun, for example) or if it’s low enough in the mix maybe (Soldat Hans) but a whole album of it just sounds like when my two year old tries to talk like Cookie Monster. I consider this a personal failing, but there it is. 

Yeah it’s probably a personal failing on my part too

28 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I would have to imagine they're fully prepared to lose some metal purists and probably introduce some new fans into their brand of metal through gradual exposure.

Did they ever really have the metal purists though? It seems like people (especially black metal aficionados) were always snarky about Deafheaven and how they're categorized.

I agree that the new material should still fit nicely with their older songs in a set list. Sonically it's similar, and it should give George's voice a break. I'm sure he's still going to be as theatrical with the new songs though.

2 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

Did they ever really have the metal purists though? It seems like people (especially black metal aficionados) were always snarky about Deafheaven and how they're categorized.

I agree that the new material should still fit nicely with their older songs in a set list. Sonically it's similar, and it should give George's voice a break. I'm sure he's still going to be as theatrical with the new songs though.

Yea, I always hate bringing up this band amongst purists because they act like they’re too cool for it. I reckon this band was always heading in this direction, but I imagine that the constant digs at them for being “shitty wannabe metal” was more than enough to push them into this territory. Most of the true fans will stick with them. It wasn’t ever really about the growling vocals to me - I always dug the music first and foremost. Very excited to see where the rest of the album goes.

Tbh I could just listen to an entire album of their drummer just being a badass and I’d be content.

2 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

I would maybe make an argument that there were some purists on board with the demo and RTJ.  Both released on Deathwish Inc. which is pretty reputable among fans of metal and hardcore music, I would say.  Those 2 releases lack the sheen (and commercial success) that soured so many trve pvrists once Sunbather entered the chat.

• jhulud changed the title to PO NOW: Deafheaven - Infinite Granite (08/20)