PO: The Killers - Pressure Machine

During the past few months The Killers have said that they have already written and recorded their next album which they communicated a few weeks ago being finished now. Today they announced a collaboration with Bruce fucking Springsteen - which will be out soon, maybe even Friday.

Edit: As it turns out "Dustland" will be a new recording of "A Dustland Fairytale", not a new song. Was really hoping for a new Killers track with the Boss...

Anyway, the album is coming out in late summer according to the band.

Let's hope for a few nice variants on this new album, for some reason Imploding The Mirage still only has a standard black variant.

E3jfIKKVcAYupZd?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Vega

14 hours ago, booms528 said:

really weird for them to collab but on such an old song.  still, i'll take it. just wish it was something new and original.

as far as the new album, i'm definitely a little worried it's too soon and it's mainly a bunch of reworked/punched up B-sides from the last album, but we'll see.

They have played clips of new songs on Instagram and a whole bunch of new songs have been added to the ASCAP register. Safe to say it's all new material thankfully

• Vega changed the title to PO Soon: The Killers - Pressure Machine
  • Vega changed the title to PO: The Killers - Pressure Machine
11 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

For such a fun and creative band, the Killers merch game has always kinda sucked. "Here's a signed CD but it'll just be Brandon Flowers' signature" lolol. Or "Four cover versions! We switched the colors. Buy them all plz."

Absolutely, I still don't understand how they haven't released a variant color edition of ITM. They are really proud of the record (rightfully so) but it seems kinda out of touch by the management or creative team to just make it such a non-special bare-bones release.

Edited by Vega

This is the only store I've found so far that says color:

https://assai.co.uk/collections/forthcoming-new-releases/products/the-killers-pressure-machine-vinyl-lp-indies-colour-due-13-08-21
"Indie Stores Colour vinyl with Exclusive Outslip Sleeve"

Rough Trade UK also has the outslip sleeve but it says black vinyl. 
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-killers/pressure-machine

Edited by patreeeek

• 4 weeks later...
Just listened to this for the first time. Gonna to listen to it multiple more times on the weekend to get a better grip on it. But I understand now why they didn't release a single for it. This feels kind of like a "Project" album, not even their Nebraska, because on that album there was at least some single material like Atlantic City, there nothing like that on Pressure Machine, the faster songs aren't catchy and the slow songs are really slow and introspective. The only thing resembling Nebraska is Terrible Thing which sounds like directly taken off of Nebraska tbh (a little like Mansion on the hill esk maybe)
I don't know at all what to think of the songs yet, most of them feel kind of filler-ish on the first listen but I'm sure (or hope) they'll open up with multiple listens. The last 3 songs on the album are pure magic though, so I'm really look forward to the next sessions.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who wasn’t really familiar with the Killers outside of their singles, it definitely peaked my interests to hear about the subject matter and writing of this album. Growing up in a small Mormon town in Utah (20 minutes away from Nephi, the small town this album was written about), I definitely have some shared experiences with the album. I’ve only listened to it a couples of times, but I like it quite a bit. There are at least one or two songs, like Vega mentioned above, where it feels like Brandon Flowers is leaning pretty heavily into his Springsteen influences, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing to me. I’ll have to get around to checking out their other albums. 

4 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

As someone who wasn’t really familiar with the Killers outside of their singles, it definitely peaked my interests to hear about the subject matter and writing of this album. Growing up in a small Mormon town in Utah (20 minutes away from Nephi, the small town this album was written about), I definitely have some shared experiences with the album. I’ve only listened to it a couples of times, but I like it quite a bit. There are at least one or two songs, like Vega mentioned above, where it feels like Brandon Flowers is leaning pretty heavily into his Springsteen influences, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing to me. I’ll have to get around to checking out their other albums. 

you're from utah?  most locals call it USEDtah.

Have listened to this about 10 times since the release, the songs have indeed grown a lot, the album is absolutely amazing from front to back and I'm so happy about that. The weakest track is Runaway Horses by far imo, would have loved to hear an actual country singer perform with Brandon on that one instead of Phoebe Bridgers, but what are you gonna do. Really looking forward to receiving the record with slipcase!

• 1 year later...