AFI - Sing The Sorrow 2xLP - Boot Available Today - NOW: Official Reissue Happening & PO Dropping

6 hours ago, V3XED said:

I ordered mine from RockBottom. their 'notify me when back in stock' actually worked.
Got the email and just yolo'd it.

Never sent me an order confirmation, but money moved on Paypal so I assume its in the works.
Ill let yall know how it shakes out. 

Damn, never got the notification myself despite plugging in the email a couple times over the last few weeks

I guess since I want a copy of this, I'll have to start watching these sites. I can give one of my secrets away. There's a Chrome extension called Distill that is perfect for this type of situation. The extension can monitor a webpage for changes at a given interval. I just selected to monitor the "SOLD OUT" button on the Rock Bottom page every 3 minutes.

38 minutes ago, slinch said:

Man for a boot that's listed everywhere as an eu import it's absurdly impossible to find it in eu or even a place that ships to eu -.-

Are there any 3rd party sites that will orchestrate that for you? I've bought a bunch of from japan over the years (not vinyl) and have used several services that you essentially pay to buy and store items. Then they ship to you...all for a fee of course. 

1 hour ago, phillybhatesme said:

Are there any 3rd party sites that will orchestrate that for you? I've bought a bunch of from japan over the years (not vinyl) and have used several services that you essentially pay to buy and store items. Then they ship to you...all for a fee of course. 

Technically yeah but that would just be another unnecessary cost on top of already unnecessarily high cost of the boot and shipping and import fees. I've got an OG press, but in addition to it being my fave afi album it's also the first vinyl record I ever bough so it's got a special place in my heart and I'm trying to keep it off heavy rotation. I've had at leas 5 or 6 copies of the OG at one point, but gave all of the extras away as presents and such as it was anything but hard to find back then 😩

11 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

I hope these $50-$70 boots keep selling for the next year and then in 2023 they release a really great, mastered for vinyl, MOV #'d press for the 20th anniversary for $40 that puts them all to shame.

That'd be great. The original sounds pretty good, so I could only imagine how great it would be if it were completely remastered for vinyl. 

2 hours ago, twatay said:

Would love to know if anyone in AFI is aware of these STS boots and how much they go for.  If it were me I'd be on the horn so fuckin fast trying to get an official repress in production.

Years ago somebody told me that Davey wants AFI vinyl to stay limited, which is why the band never advocates for represses. I'm unsure of the validity of that statement, but it would explain why the band and labels never push for this with them.

21 minutes ago, MyckelJay said:

Years ago somebody told me that Davey wants AFI vinyl to stay limited, which is why the band never advocates for represses. I'm unsure of the validity of that statement, but it would explain why the band and labels never push for this with them.

Nitro must've missed that memo. Pretty sure there's like 20+ different pressings of 'The Art of Drowning' lol. 

1 hour ago, MyckelJay said:

That’s cool and all if that’s a principle artists want to apply to their music, but I’ve found that 99% of them eventually go back on that idea, because money.  Life happens, expenses happen – I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard an artist or label say that there are zero plans to ever repress a certain album, only to see it as a limited drop or RSD exclusive within 2-5 years.

Bootleg markets – especially those priced this excessively – are everything wrong with modern vinyl though.  Someone in another thread speculated that the kind of music that gets posted on VC – shit from the last 30 years, colored vinyl, limited editions – are more or less the NFTs of music enthusiasts.  That seems exemplified with boots.  These are all sourced from MP3s and can sound serviceable at best… but jokes aside, you can legitimately stream the same music at 320 or even 192 kbps, while simultaneously playing a YouTube video of “Vinyl Crackle Sound FX”, and you’re going to get the same result.  From a listening perspective, it’s a total meme to willingly pay $70 for this junk.  What that leaves is the satisfaction people get from having the spine of this record visible on their shelf.  Or the option to have it framed, I suppose.  Or the opportunity to snap a photo of it for Instagram (perhaps alongside the more affordable albums in the band’s discography) to larp as a devout fan and flex a complete collection, I guess.

“But OG copies are $600.  I’m not paying that.”  Then don’t, as you shouldn't.  Anyone who has been collecting vinyl for more than 6-7 years is probably aware of how everything eventually gets a reissue or repress.  There’s been stuff that I would have never in my wildest dreams imagined would get repressed; albums from bands who’ve been defunct for 10+years, with labels no longer in business, and seemingly no demand to have the music pressed again.  Patience is a virtue, etc.  I would rather have a gap where that album will eventually go, than a garbage copy that “sounds okay” as MP3s on wax.  But I’m me and you’re you.  Maybe I value shelf space more than you do.  Maybe $70 means more to me and the new releases I buy than it does to you and the prospect of saying you can finally own something that resembles a coveted album. People buy pastries with the sole intent of sitting on them and ripping ass so who am I to say what the world should or should not be spending money on at the of the day?

Edited by Derek™

• jhulud changed the title to AFI - Sing The Sorrow 2xLP - Boot Available Today - NOW: Official Reissue Happening & PO Dropping