AFI - Sing The Sorrow 2xLP - Boot Available Today - NOW: Official Reissue Happening & PO Dropping

Got a 'restock' notification from them by email for the RED version and just turned my brain off and instantly bought it.
Was trying to protect myself from self judgment for what's obviously a terrible value proposition.

Anyways, finally showed up and I didn't even realize this version was a "1x-LP", consider the restock notification I signed up for was for the old 2xlp version. 

And, havent spun it yet but compared to the 2xlp bootlegs, the jacket and innersleeve print quality are another step down, pretty abysmal. Wouldn't recommend buying this one over the 2xlp version especially at the going rate. 

Edited by V3XED

2 hours ago, V3XED said:

Got a 'restock' notification from them by email for the RED version and just turned my brain off and instantly bought it.
Was trying to protect myself from self judgment for what's obviously a terrible value proposition.

Anyways, finally showed up and I didn't even realize this version was a "1x-LP", consider the restock notification I signed up for was for the old 2xlp version. 

And, havent spun it yet but compared to the 2xlp bootlegs, the jacket and innersleeve print quality are another step down, pretty abysmal. Wouldn't recommend buying this one over the 2xlp version especially at the going rate. 

Yikes. Worse, it’s really difficult to sell these things. I can see there are tons of completed transactions on eBay for this record, but mine keeps getting taken down because it’s a counterfeit item. Discogs is also pretty shut down unless you list it on another color that isn’t locked yet and post there.

I gotta' tip my hat to whoever is cranking out those AFI boots and reducing them to 1 LP, now.  They've effectively cut down their vinyl costs and materials by half, while still appealing to the overwhelming majority of bootleg buyers who are fixated on simply having the record on their shelf, and maybe snapping a pic for social media.  Between that, the egregious MSRP that's rationalized because "it's better than OG prices bro", and the illusion of limited quantities or timed drops – everyone feels good about getting in on those, right? – they're actually pretty big-brain and I can't even criticize them for it.

11 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Yikes. Worse, it’s really difficult to sell these things. I can see there are tons of completed transactions on eBay for this record, but mine keeps getting taken down because it’s a counterfeit item. Discogs is also pretty shut down unless you list it on another color that isn’t locked yet and post there.

I would try some other secondhand marketplaces. I’ve seen several of these boots on Mercari, but have also seen items pulled for being counterfit. 

Depop might also be a decent shot. 

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

In case someone still wants this out there: https://drstrange.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2678081&search=sing+sorrow

I wish you the best.

Dr Strange is legit. If there are any doubts, it should be on who ever is pressing these 🤣

Edited by sugareggs

3 hours ago, V3XED said:

Ugg, I won't be able to not get it. Really wish they would just do a real repress though.
Would prefer not to put money into the boot ecosystem, 

Also, I have a purple 2x STS and a Red 1x STS, also looking for the 2x Red STS and open to trade/cash combos.

There's demand for it and if bootleggers are the only ones taking advantage of that then so be it 🤷

6 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I still really wanna know what’s going to happen if AFI comes out with a good quality repress of everything. Like does everyone just throw out their boots or sell them for pennys?

Probably depends on how many they press. If its fairly limited, like most of these licensed represses have been in recent years, scarcity will help the fake copies continue to hold some value.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, MCDELTAT said:

I still have a 2xLP red of this if anyone wants it.

I too have an og version that I’ve been trying to sell down here in NZ for a while via trademe. Seems like there’s not a market for it here despite it being priced well under the cheapest discogs price. But if anyone is interested I can flick through the link with pictures etc

On 8/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, MCDELTAT said:

I still really wanna know what’s going to happen if AFI comes out with a good quality repress of everything. Like does everyone just throw out their boots or sell them for pennys?

That's what I did with SOAD albums. But the boots still moved on ebay. I always had photos and described the material, and labeled them as "EU Imports" as that's how my local store had them advertised. The SOAD officials were pretty cheap, from $16-25, 25 being the double LP. But I still managed to sell the black boots for 20-30, and had an orange toxicity that went for 40 I think. The boots worked fine for the time I had them, and wasn't the worst sounding things at all, but it was nice to switch them out and get the officials in the collection.

15 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

I can't remember where, but I know somewhere/somewhen I saw Davey and Jade make a statement that they don't want to represss them. They personally like the idea of the album being a product of the time, they want to keep moving forward and not look back. 

So I wouldn't hold your breath.

I see this come up on social media and other places online whenever someone asks about AFI represses and why they haven't happen. This source of this statement was specific to an unauthorized repress of their first EP, Dork, a few years ago. An EP that they made as high school students before they ever considered taking the band seriously.

No one from the band has ever made any statements about repressing music that they actually still perform live. 

• jhulud changed the title to AFI - Sing The Sorrow 2xLP - Boot Available Today - NOW: Official Reissue Happening & PO Dropping