PO: Taylor Swift - RED (Taylor's Version) 4xLP out on 11/12

• 3 weeks later...
  • jhulud changed the title to PO: Taylor Swift - RED (Taylor's Version) 4xLP out on 11/19
8 hours ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

Is this the first ever pop album that's a 4xLP?

Nope, not even the first pop album this WEEK. New Beatles reissue, 4 LPs plus a bonus 12".

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-let-it-be-reissue/

Now you might be saying, "But.... But this is a REISSUE!" Mark my words, that's exactly what Taylor is doing with this version of Red. Yes, it's re-recorded, but it's not a brand-new album. The audience for a $50 vinyl set are the people who knew & loved the original Red (on CD) and now want to spring for a vinyl copy with extra unreleased songs. Which is no different than the Beatles audience (but younger).

As for actual pop albums that were 4XLP upon their FIRST release.... Chili Peppers' double-CD Stadium Arcadium was released as a 4XLP vinyl box at the same time. (Maybe they're not technically "pop," but the album hit #1 and the first single hit #6 in America and #2 UK, so "pop" enough.)
https://www.discogs.com/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Stadium-Arcadium/release/1629020

Along the same lines, the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie was a 3LP set upon initial release, then a 4LP with the reissue. (At 33 songs, the reissue contained LESS songs than the 3LP but spread them out more, similar to what Taylor is doing here.) And good ol' George Harrison dropped a triple-LP all the way back in 1971.... which went to #1 along with the single and sold a ton of copies, so 100% pop.

Edited by filthyrich

Yeah, no. I don't buy your argument. There are no demo tracks or remixes. This is all original studio cuts regardless of whether it's the original release of most of this material or not.

RHCP and Pumpkins are rock acts. I'm talking about pop.

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

4 hours ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

Yeah, no. I don't buy your argument. There are no demo tracks or remixes. This is all original studio cuts regardless of whether it's the original release of most of this material or not.

RHCP and Pumpkins are rock acts. I'm talking about pop.

Does 2Pac count as pop? #1 album, #1 single, same hip-hop sound that 95% of current pop emulates.....
https://www.discogs.com/2Pac-All-Eyez-On-Me/release/238369

EDIT: Forgot the grandaddy of them all. Springsteen's Live 75-85 set.... FIVE LPs or 3 CDs. Sold more copies in a week than any (every?) major artist will sell in all of 2021. If that's not pop I don't know what is:

https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Springsteen-The-E-Street-Band-Live-1975-85/release/1333395

I also feel like a 4-LP set that's 75% previously released songs (in VERY slightly different versions) feels more like a reissue than a truly original album, but I guess that's splitting hairs.
TS could certainly pull off an absolutely BRAND-NEW 4LP release if that was her desire, and it would've been fascinating if Folklore/Evermore had been combined that way, instead of two separate releases in one year. In a way, she DID do what JT did with 20/20.

Edited by filthyrich

• jhulud changed the title to PO: Taylor Swift - RED (Taylor's Version) 4xLP out on 11/12