At what point will you stop collecting?

Been thinking about this lately as I’m down to about 200 albums I still really want to own.  At what point would you stop collecting records?  What would it take for you to stop buying records?   Just trying to make some conversation here, sorry if this topic is dumb.

When I finish what I want to collect, I guess. I only have about 2 or 3 more records from my younger days that I want an am waiting on reissues for. After that I'll probably stop frequenting this forum and reddit and just pick ups whatever I hear/find that I like. I'll be mostly out of the game at that point, just finishing off some older items I need to complete discographies.

11 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

When I finish what I want to collect, I guess. I only have about 2 or 3 more records from my younger days that I want an am waiting on reissues for. After that I'll probably stop frequenting this forum and reddit and just pick ups whatever I hear/find that I like. I'll be mostly out of the game at that point, just finishing off some older items I need to complete discographies.

This is similar to how I am now. I really only buy new releases. I feel like my back catalogue is complete for everything I truly want. 

I mostly just pick up new things at this point. I have a list of maybe 10-15 old things that are so expensive/rare that I’ve pretty much resigned myself to never owning them, so maybe I’m there already. I used to be able to stumble upon some stuff every once in a great while when I traveled for work, but it looks like that’s no longer going to happen (thanks, pandemic!). 

honestly, i can't fathom i ever will.   for me, personally, the joy of recorded music is that there is always new music to investigate or trackdown.   between consistently getting turned on to older music that is new to me, robert pollard's refusal to slow-down, and jaimie barrier's non-stop song-writing, i can't image i will stop collecting and searching anytime.   i have severely slowed down my purchasing, but i have a consistent backlog of stuff to track down and find.

On 6/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, museummouth said:

This is similar to how I am now. I really only buy new releases. I feel like my back catalogue is complete for everything I truly want. 

This. Got most, if not all, of the records and tapes I was after. Now I typically just buy records to support bands/labels I dig. 

On 6/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I spent 2007-2010 aggressively buying all my grails. The past decade I've been averaging a record a month (sometimes less) which mostly consist of newer releases from the year. Things have been much less stressful after I had amassed everything that I really wanted,  it's more enjoyable at this pace. 

Edited by satoshi

31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I spent 2007-2010 aggressively buying all my grails. The past decade I've been averaging a record a month (sometimes less) which mostly consist of newer releases from the year. Things have been much less stressful after I had amassed everything that I really wanted,  it's more enjoyable at this pace. 

Though I do occasionally slap myself thinking what if I spent the last decade buying bitcoin instead of records. Could probably have bought my entire collection 1000x over

I feel that in a big way. Every now and then I also get on this "why do I own all this shit, I should sell all my material possessions and live a simpler life uninhibited by 'things" track. I've never gone through with it...but I think it more and more as I get older.

Like...I'm certainly not helping the environment by amassing all these products. Shouldn't I be trying to create instead of consuming other people's shit? I should start painting again, I should write again, I should sculpt, grow, do something.

Then I remember I've gotten lazy, and that takes a ton of time and effort. Maybe someday.

52 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I feel that in a big way. Every now and then I also get on this "why do I own all this shit, I should sell all my material possessions and live a simpler life uninhibited by 'things" track. I've never gone through with it...but I think it more and more as I get older.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:05
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:14

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:11

Like...I'm certainly not helping the environment by amassing all these products. Shouldn't I be trying to create instead of consuming other people's shit? I should start painting again, I should write again, I should sculpt, grow, do something.

Then I remember I've gotten lazy, and that takes a ton of time and effort. Maybe someday.

can.  relate.  hard.  

5 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I keep thinking it'd be nice to sell the collection and use the money to take a year or two off and travel the whole time.  Deep down, I don't think I'd be able to do it, but it's always nice to know it's an option.

32 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I keep thinking it'd be nice to sell the collection and use the money to take a year or two off and travel the whole time.  Deep down, I don't think I'd be able to do it, but it's always nice to know it's an option.

Yeah, for sure! I'd likely pay off a significant portion of my mortgage and be fully debt free in about 3-5 years... ::sigh::

I definitely have times where I’m like “why is this my thing”, but I also come to the conclusion that a person has to have a thing, and if it wasn’t collecting records it would have to be fantasy baseball or model ships or extreme rock climbing or something else, and I just really like listening to and talking about music so it might as well be vinyl. 

On 6/23/2021 at 6:42 AM, Mars said:

"You have a class of young men and women, and they want to give their lives to something.  Advertising has these people chasing [boxsets] and [reissues] they don't need.  Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they don't really need.”

On 6/20/2021 at 1:22 AM, etphonehome said:

Been thinking about this lately as I’m down to about 200 albums I still really want to own.  At what point would you stop collecting records?  What would it take for you to stop buying records?   Just trying to make some conversation here, sorry if this topic is dumb.

I've been thinking the same thing for the last year or so. I've certainly calmed down in terms of purchasing. Seems like I've obtained all the albums I ever wanted from when I was in my later teens to early 20's. Im more about getting into /exploring new genres for me and purchasing new stuff. Im at around 900 records at this time. I might downsize by a lot when the time comes to get a house or something. The topic is not dumb, sometimes we gotta stop and think. Its been a trip so far. 

7 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

I sold a good 1/3 of my collection last year when I saw my Discogs collection value estimate and then I had a crystal clear vision of an earthquake or heatwave erasing my $25k of records in one fell swoop. I’d have sold more if I had time to play test and list more. 

What kind of heatwave would melt your collection?  That I really gotta’ know.  Our summers are weeks on end of 105-115°… but outside of dashing to fetch mailers from the porch or from the searing interior of a postbox, the heat has never been too threatening for my records, personally.

That being said, the value of my records take up a bulk of the monthly insurance rates I pay.  Not that a burglar would ransack my place and cherry-pick the hottest records according to Discogs, but the peace of mind from the elements and catastrophes is something that’s priceless to me.

I imagine my collection is fairly modest by the standards of many here, currently numbering 595 items, but after collecting for many years I've more or less decided I'm happy with it as it stands. I've drawn a line in the sand and will not go above 600 which leaves a tiny window in case 1 or 2 really must haves crop up. I also couldn't bring myself to part with anything, despite looking at the prices asked for some items on discogs and thinking..."shit"!

23 hours ago, Oblivions said:

I sold a good 1/3 of my collection last year when I saw my Discogs collection value estimate and then I had a crystal clear vision of an earthquake or heatwave erasing my $25k of records in one fell swoop. I’d have sold more if I had time to play test and list more. 

I'd imagine I'm somewhere above the 80th percentile on the site as far as size and value of my collection, but I have insurance...so it isn't anything I really worry about. Just insure that shit, dude. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage