At what point will you stop collecting?

My dad died May 31st. Looking at all his "stuff" he's left for us to deal with made me realize I have to get rid of lots of shit. Though I'm 41 and hopefully nowhere near dying, I still don't want to leave the same situation for my son. But I like buying records. So at some point, I want to cash out. But not any time soon. 

6 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

My dad died May 31st. Looking at all his "stuff" he's left for us to deal with made me realize I have to get rid of lots of shit. Though I'm 41 and hopefully nowhere near dying, I still don't want to leave the same situation for my son. But I like buying records. So at some point, I want to cash out. But not any time soon. 

Sorry to hear about your dad. I went through the same thing last month with my mother in law dying. My wife and I were her only family locally and I can tell you it'll make you want to be a minimalist. I can't push myself to do it yet but I really should. Plus the increase in prices and delays over the last couple of years has made me slow down more than ever and I sold a bunch of records last year, even gave a way a lot of them to a friend.

The impact of the pandemic is certainly another factor, with delays of around six months for some major new releases, a lot of people probably impulse buy although the flipside of this is you do have longer to change your mind. A few years ago the average retail cost of an album in the UK was around £23 but now it seems around £30 is more the norm, plus heavily increased shipping costs for international stuff. Then there's the day I decided to become a King Gizzard completist, but seriously the number of multiple variants of releases is in some cases becoming  ridiculous.

Not long ago there were a series of gambling awareness ads run on UK TV, the slogan for which was, when the fun stops, stop.

Edited by Roandy55

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/why-are-independent-artists-and-labels-turning-away-from-vinyl/

Somewhat related and an interesting read that was published today. I don't agree with a couple of Mike's points but he has mostly good points in his twitter thread. The one that really stuck out to me was:

"Eventually this bubble is going to burst. I think in a year or two we are going to see the fallout from this. Everyone is making a big deal about the "return of vinyl".  But its not really true. In 2020, 27.5 million LPs were sold in the United States. Drakes newest single "Whats Next" has been streamed 126,167,487 times, and it came out a few months ago. Ed Sheerans awful song "Shape Of You" has over two BILLION streams. Labels are pressing 300 copies of a techno 12" and not selling half usually. THREE HUNDRED."

I don't see it as a bubble bursting but I do think it'll slow down with the return of live music as people put more of their money towards in-person, social experiences.

People have been saying "The Return of Vinyl" and "Vinyl Bubble" for over a decade.....and yet its popularity keeps growing.  It has been a natural growth over an extended period of time, its not some bubble that will pop any day.  The job I have now I got because I was shopping for records in 2002...yeah it was gaining popularity way back then.

24 minutes ago, mitchard said:

"Labels are pressing 300 copies of a techno 12" and not selling half usually. THREE HUNDRED."

Yeah, because nobody wants shitty DJ singles. 😂

That's fair haha I know I wouldn't either. But I get why he used it as an example since he co-founded Italians Do It Better and that label put out a lot of notable electronic music, so it gets a pass.

On 7/11/2021 at 5:00 AM, somethingvinyl said:

Sorry about your Dad man. Yeah, this always hits hard, lost both my grandparents a few years ago. Its incredible to see all the things that get accumulated over a lifetime and none of it goes with you when you die. No one will value most of it, and its usually a burden on whoever has to deal with it.

I talk about this with my wife a lot that older generations stockpile cash, most of it to live on until the end (which is responsible), then leave a lump sum to the kids when you pass. Problem is there is usually fighting within the family over the assets and possessions. I feel like as I near the end I'd like to slowly give away my nest egg to the kids (10k per year) to avoid gift taxes and actually watch them enjoy it or experience it with them in some way via funding family vacations etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m actually back from a 3 or 4 year hiatus as far as collecting and being active on this board goes. Wasn’t listening to my records much anymore and was in a shitty place financially. Sold nearly everything. But I’m in a cool place financially now and my new home needs some vinyl vibes. I’ve accepted the fact there’s some records I’ll never get back. I’m just grabbing new releases and represses at reasonable prices now. The game has changed a lot it seems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...