Rough Trade Album Circle Club

1 minute ago, Bro Use for a Name said:

Judging by the complaints about the artist signing a paper bag, I'm assuming the release is this

yep its that LP (Which I love btw)

In the UK Dinked edition stores sold it as advertised with a signed outer paper bag so it was known long time out that this is how signed copies would be done

10 minutes ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

This 100% read as releases that have never been on vinyl being pressed exclusively for RT in the beginning. If it's really just exclusive variants that's probably the nastiest thing I've seen in the vinyl sub game since VNYL.

I don't know, to me it always sounded like exclusive variants but admittedly an exclusive color and not just special packaging.

But still, the emphasis in the beginning was the packaging (the wheel, whatever that is, the special printing, etc) and the interactive/social stuff so it doesn't seem like it's too far from what I was understanding.

You're still getting a limited color in a sleeve that no one else offers with a load of bonus content for what, like $10 more than the standard release? Doesn't sound like that bad a deal to me but again, without seeing a regular version in one hand and this Super Special Rough Trade version in the other it's hard to compare. 

8 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

You're still getting a limited color in a sleeve that no one else offers 

Nope the sleeve is just the same as the one you can order from RT (UK or US) as their exclusive variant (including the signed paper sleeve part). And the signed paper sleeve is part of other exclusive variants in the UK as well.

So its just the extra wheel / QR stuff that's exclusive to this club by the look of it

18 minutes ago, craigeduk said:

Nope the sleeve is just the same as the one you can order from RT (UK or US) as their exclusive variant (including the signed paper sleeve part). And the signed paper sleeve is part of other exclusive variants in the UK as well.

So its just the extra wheel / QR stuff that's exclusive to this club by the look of it

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

If that’s the case then I can understand the complaints a little more - it sounds like it’s basically an overrun of an existing variant that they just got signed, and then you get some digital content.

Not nearly as “special” as they were pushing…

5 minutes ago, dreamover said:

Wait wait wait... 

So this edition of this record is available for $27.99 to anyone who wants it (limited to 2000).

Or it's available as part of a $39 subscription, but you didn't know you were getting it?

LOL

It seems like the $39 version is signed, ships with a QR code for some exclusive digital content, and also - unlike the people that bought the $27.99 version - you never asked for it specifically, they just sent it to you.

7 minutes ago, dreamover said:

Wait wait wait... 

So this edition of this record is available for $27.99 to anyone who wants it (limited to 2000).

Or it's available as part of a $39 subscription, but you didn't know you were getting it?

LOL

Yeah, but you also get to play with a paper wheel to access a QR code which lets you commiserate with other strangers who’ve been scammed, over FaceTime.  It’s tough to assign a monetary value to that.

3 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

It seems like the $39 version is signed, ships with a QR code for some exclusive digital content, and also - unlike the people that bought the $27.99 version - you never asked for it specifically, they just sent it to you.

From what I've gathered, all 2000 were signed with the paper bag. So...the QR code is pretty much it for $11 extra.

Hahaha. This is too much!

My expectations were zero so I’m not going to get bent out of shape over the $39. I gambled and lost, it happens. 

But what a fucking way to launch your new subscription. I can’t imagine torching any and all goodwill at the outset of your service bodes well for the future. Who is running this fucking thing!

😀🤡😀🤡

Edited by BuzzersonKillwell

They should have framed it as a $40 donation to support Rough Trade and the arts and you get a free record as a thank you.

(All kidding aside, this is how I sometimes think about it when I buy expensive merchandise at shows. Supporting a band you like while they're on tour and you get a little physical gift as a thanks.)

They couldn't take the criticism and getting called out for scamming people on their "exclusives"

😆

Dear Member,

We hope this email finds you well.

Regrettably, after much deliberation, we’ve taken the decision to close our Discord server. Quite simply, discord by name, discord by nature.

Moving forward, we shall look for an alternative space that provides a positive forum focused on a love of music.

In the meantime, please continue to contact us at 
[email protected] with any questions, queries and feedback - we will respond as soon as possible, within Mon-Fri Eastern Time office working hours.

Kind regards,

Album Circle

Yeah.. this is a shit show.. I'm out.

Was thinking of giving it one more chance but QR codes to wiki pages and the not really exclusive exclusive. for the price..lumped together with the whole mystery aspect so If you really don't like something you can't opt out until it's too late.  it's just not worth it. 

So far the only recent subscription thing that has proven to be worth a damn IMO is the Gimme Metal one. 

29 minutes ago, roadmonkey said:

Yeah.. this is a shit show.. I'm out.

Was thinking of giving it one more chance but QR codes to wiki pages and the not really exclusive exclusive. for the price..lumped together with the whole mystery aspect so If you really don't like something you can't opt out until it's too late.  it's just not worth it. 

So far the only recent subscription thing that has proven to be worth a damn IMO is the Gimme Metal one. 

I canceled as well.  I'm over clubs, unless BMG or Columbia house comes back and starts offering 8 records for a penny.

Yeah, I was willing to try for one more month but I've now cancelled and received a return label based on: thier closing of the Discord + someone on Reddit had emailed them and asked what they planned to do to improve the sub for the subscribers and received a blank email with a return label attached.  Not promising.