Rough Trade Album Circle Club

11 minutes ago, Carden said:

Did they delete the discord?

YUP. Jhulud posted the email yesterday (it had gone to my spam folder):

20 hours ago, jhulud said:

They couldn't take the criticism and getting called out for scamming people on their "exclusives"

😆

Dear Member,

We hope this email finds you well.

Regrettably, after much deliberation, we’ve taken the decision to close our Discord server. Quite simply, discord by name, discord by nature.

Moving forward, we shall look for an alternative space that provides a positive forum focused on a love of music.

In the meantime, please continue to contact us at 
[email protected] with any questions, queries and feedback - we will respond as soon as possible, within Mon-Fri Eastern Time office working hours.

Kind regards,

Album Circle

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any email to contact these clowns to cancel my membership/sub and ask for a refund and return their shitty record?

With the Discord server gone I can't find anything. On the member page I can only find a way to cancel the membership but not contact for refund and return. 

3 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Is there any email to contact these clowns to cancel my membership/sub and ask for a refund and return their shitty record?

With the Discord server gone I can't find anything. On the member page I can only find a way to cancel the membership but not contact for refund and return. 

I sent an email directly to  [email protected] and they provided me a return label and refunded me when they received the record.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

I didn't subscribe. I'm pretty done with any subscription that isn't Secretly Canadian or Third Man.  Rough Trade customer service is actually very good. However, I've noticed they've been overselling their pre-order exclusives and cancelling orders more and more often - no explanation and I'm done with their exclusives if I can get them somewhere else. 

Want another indication of their direction? Has anyone visited their store in Rockefeller Center? I can't help but wonder what their long term plans are but that shop went from a great one in Brooklyn to a truly terrible one in Manhattan. It is simply awful. 

So who knows. They might be transitioning into a new model that is less serving to the vinyl obsessed and more to the casual or new collector. 

• 2 months later...

It’s over, Johnny. 

Dear Members,

We hope this email finds you well.

Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we’ve taken the difficult decision to close Album Circle.

Your current delivery - on its way to you now - will be the last.

In this pandemic-struck supplier climate, the sheer number of challenges to ensure we received all of the components from suppliers each month, on time, has proven to be too prone to delay, especially with the added, ongoing problems with vinyl manufacturing. All in all, it's made keeping a monthly rhythm of delivery unviable.

We are saddened and upset that this should be the case, but there are simply too many factors out of our control that prevent us offering the level of experience we originally envisaged providing.

Despite the sadness of closing, we sincerely appreciate the support and custom we’ve received along the way - a big thank from all of us, to all of you.

Good riddance. A comedy of (unforced) errors on what could have been a profitable service from a brand with plenty of credibility to make it work. 

I’d love to know if it was hubris, incompetence, or what the hell happened behind the scenes to get this outcome. But first, a moment of silence for this dumpster fire; you burned briefly but oh so hot.

My guess is they had the best intentions to start but at some point in the project, they could see this wasn't going to turn out how they envisioned and instead of trying to make it right - or even just own up to their mistakes - they decided to just go with the subpar effort and hope no one would notice...

...but they obviously did.