PO: Boris Flood & NO from Third Man

• 4 weeks later...

So if Discogs is to be believed – along with another new face here on VC that was able to confirm it for me – that mystery Flood swirl is in fact the TMR exclusive.  Apparently it just turned out night-and-day different [better] than the initial mock-up.  Huge bummer since it’s long gone from the shop.  There’s a possibility that the band could list some copies down the road.  I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them restocked or “pulled from the vault” over at TMR.  If anyone spots a lead or hears of a drop, I’d be hugely grateful.  Really want to track this one down.

8 minutes ago, KaitouG said:

Got the vault editions, but sounds like those splatter variants didn't actually come to fruition? My copy of NO is maroon/black split rather than the maroon splatter and flood looks like that artist-exclusive ones.

Hmm... your TMR vault edition Flood looks like which exactly?

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Hmm... your TMR vault edition Flood looks like which exactly?

This one (aka the one that you mentioned on Discogs):

733borisstoreAB.jpg?auto=compress,format

edit: someone just submitted the proper splatter variant for NO on Discogs so I'm not too sure what the heck is going on

Edited by KaitouG

7 minutes ago, KaitouG said:

This one (aka the one that you mentioned on Discogs):

733borisstoreAB.jpg?auto=compress,format

edit: someone just submitted the proper splatter variant for NO on Discogs so I'm not too sure what the heck is going on

Lucky.  So looping back to the post you made on the first page... where did you get those photos?  They seem like they'd all be from the same source, with that background.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say there was maybe a mixup somewhere and TMR's "splatter" copies are now the artist exclusives.  And maybe the previous "artist exclusives" are truly what TMR got.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Lucky.  So looping back to the post you made on the first page... where did you get those photos?  They seem like they'd all be from the same source, with that background.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say there was maybe a mixup somewhere and TMR's "splatter" copies are now the artist exclusives.  And maybe the previous "artist exclusives" are truly what TMR got.

https://thirdmanrecords.com/catalog

There may yet still be hope. From a comment on discogs:

"Apparently, these were never announced on Third Man's social media pages. There were about 600 copies left, but all of a sudden it was pulled from the Vault Store. I'm wondering why Third Man removed it. I didn't think these sold out at all."

Just got my TMR Vault editions. NO is maroon with black splatter, Flood is the wispy blue in clear. Also just got an email from Third Man indicating there was a mix up and it was possible I had received the wrong item. The email also offered a return shipping label and a “mystery color 7” in return for the trouble of returning it for the appropriate product. 

20 hours ago, kas1985 said:

Just got my TMR Vault editions. NO is maroon with black splatter, Flood is the wispy blue in clear. Also just got an email from Third Man indicating there was a mix up and it was possible I had received the wrong item. The email also offered a return shipping label and a “mystery color 7” in return for the trouble of returning it for the appropriate product. 

Here’s the “incorrect” version; confirmed by TMR, sending it back this weekend.

spacer.png

That's mighty interesting and is starting to make a little more sense.  It still leaves the question open... what are those copies supposed to be?  An "artist exclusive" or "band version"?  And if so, when and where are they going to be made available?  I wonder what the wait is for – it feels like the hype window for Flood on vinyl has already come and gone.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:55 PM, Derek™ said:

That's mighty interesting and is starting to make a little more sense.  It still leaves the question open... what are those copies supposed to be?  An "artist exclusive" or "band version"?  And if so, when and where are they going to be made available?  I wonder what the wait is for – it feels like the hype window for Flood on vinyl has already come and gone.

When I reached out to Third Man because I had received the wrong pressing, I asked what this variant was and received no response. I'm not sure that I'm sending mine back.

6 minutes ago, streetwaves said:

When I reached out to Third Man because I had received the wrong pressing, I asked what this variant was and received no response. I'm not sure that I'm sending mine back.

I wouldn't send it back.  It's truly bizarre to me that TMR are actually trying to recall it, instead of just apologizing that this “batch” didn’t turn out as intended.  It makes me suspect that the swirl is part of a limited, designated run – i.e. a tour version, or band exclusive, etc. – and that they want to get as much inventory restored as possible.  No matter how you slice it, though, someone at TMR really fucked up.

So for what it may be worth to anyone else who's mega curious about this mystery press... I reached out to TMR to explain that while I didn't order a copy myself, I was still itching to know the story behind these recalled swirl copies, and would be grateful for any info at all.  They [obviously] asked me if I had ordered a copy, and when I reconfirmed that I had not, they said that they were not at liberty to disclose details about the release. 🥴 Okay.  Really not understanding the forced obscurity here.

It's very likely that the band just didn't want this variant sold (yet or not at all). Same thing happened with the test pressings for the Vein album. Important Records sold copies of it. When the band found out, they ask Important to recall them. They sent emails to the folks to who bought them and asked them to return the record. Don't remember if there was an incentive to return it but i kept mine.

24 minutes ago, glass realms said:

It's very likely that the band just didn't want this variant sold (yet or not at all). Same thing happened with the test pressings for the Vein album. Important Records sold copies of it. When the band found out, they ask Important to recall them. They sent emails to the folks to who bought them and asked them to return the record. Don't remember if there was an incentive to return it but i kept mine.

So weird to me, it's not like the band has ever done a "friends and family" press /100.  Given the history of Boris and their vinyl reissues, everything would suggest the swirls are supposed to be an artist exclusive sold through -nyd- or something... but I have no idea what they've waited for – or what they're still waiting for – outside of maybe making it a tour variant for later dates?  Just speculation.

21 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I wouldn't send it back.  It's truly bizarre to me that TMR are actually trying to recall it, instead of just apologizing that this “batch” didn’t turn out as intended.  It makes me suspect that the swirl is part of a limited, designated run – i.e. a tour version, or band exclusive, etc. – and that they want to get as much inventory restored as possible.  No matter how you slice it, though, someone at TMR really fucked up.

I'm not sending it back. You are correct in your assumption that it is a band exclusive.  I had an issue with TMR regarding a glitch in their system that made me believe I was still Vault member. Even after admitting it was a problem on their end, it was insisted that I should have known and they were not at liberty to do anything about it. Based on that exchange, I'm keeping their fuck up. I am interested to see what 7" they send people who return their copy.

After spending a couple listens with the "mistake" variant, there's a sort of a troubling "whooshing" noise, especially noticeable throughout Side A, I see on discogs that this is a not uncommon issue.  I'm wondering if anyone with the other variants, especially just regular black could comment on the noise level of their pressing.  Debating about whether or not to send this back in hopes of a better sounding pressing or if this issue is just across the board and I just keep the one that looks the best.  Third man is so hit or miss with the quality issues 

38 minutes ago, bonedigger said:

After spending a couple listens with the "mistake" variant, there's a sort of a troubling "whooshing" noise, especially noticeable throughout Side A, I see on discogs that this is a not uncommon issue.  I'm wondering if anyone with the other variants, especially just regular black could comment on the noise level of their pressing.  Debating about whether or not to send this back in hopes of a better sounding pressing or if this issue is just across the board and I just keep the one that looks the best.  Third man is so hit or miss with the quality issues 

I don't see on Discogs where this is a common problem. Where are you seeing that info?

13 minutes ago, streetwaves said:

I don't see on Discogs where this is a common problem. Where are you seeing that info?

There's mentions of it in all three of the posted variants, before posting I hadn't noticed it being mentioned in the black but it popped up there too that was my main curiosity I guess.  Most people just comment on noise issues that are understandable with something with such long quiet sections