PO: Boris Flood & NO from Third Man

2 hours ago, bonedigger said:

After spending a couple listens with the "mistake" variant, there's a sort of a troubling "whooshing" noise, especially noticeable throughout Side A, I see on discogs that this is a not uncommon issue.  I'm wondering if anyone with the other variants, especially just regular black could comment on the noise level of their pressing.  Debating about whether or not to send this back in hopes of a better sounding pressing or if this issue is just across the board and I just keep the one that looks the best.  Third man is so hit or miss with the quality issues 

I think that's a consistent manufacturing defect with Third Man Records. I had the same exact issue with Amplifier Worship. I ordered the fanclub white/green eclipse variant off the NYD web store. When I reached out to them about the issue they told me it was a pressing issue. I was able to request a replacement disc, but the whooshing was present on that copy as well to some degree.

Shoddy quality control and they have the audacity to lock exclusives behind a subscription service.

Here's a snippet of the reply I got from NYD regarding Amplifier Worship:

"We showed the video you provided to Boris team, and explained the situation. It seems that it's the result of trouble that occurred during the pressing of the records, and some discs exhibit the noise while others don’t.

We still have spare stock of the product, so we would be able to send a replacement. However, there is the possibility that the replacement LP would also exhibit the same noise."

11 hours ago, bonedigger said:

There's mentions of it in all three of the posted variants, before posting I hadn't noticed it being mentioned in the black but it popped up there too that was my main curiosity I guess.  Most people just comment on noise issues that are understandable with something with such long quiet sections 

I don't see comments regarding pressing issues other than the jade variant. A couple of comments that it was mastered too low appear under the black vinyl pressing, but nothing about bad or noisy pressings. Some even rave about how good it sounds.

Edited by streetwaves

7 hours ago, streetwaves said:

I don't see comments regarding pressing issues other than the jade variant. A couple of comments that it was mastered too low appear under the black vinyl pressing, but nothing about bad or noisy pressings. Same even rave about how good it sounds.

This is a quote from the black release, it's sort of buried as a reply:

"my copy has a constant whooshing noise that's at a low volume, at least on side A. it's really noticeable in the beginning when there's no/minimal guitar, but as it goes on you don't really hear it over the music. That could be how the original is, since there is that tape noise, but mine was definitely whooshing and not a static hiss"

This was almost my exact experience with the cloudy pressing as well so I guess it's reasonable to conclude it's not a variant exclusive issue but obviously hard to say how pervasive it might be.  Based on the similar experience with Amplifier Worship posted above it sounds like it could be bit of luck of the draw.  I will say the other Boris reissues I've purchased have all been great

18 minutes ago, elvismcvegas said:

I'm so fucking mad I missed out on this variant. I have every boris record on vinyl they've put out.

Did you have a TMR vault sub?  If you were keeping up on all variants, then you must have ordered that splatter TMR initially put up... which would've netted you one of these, due to TMR's negligence.  I still don't believe that they "accidentally" pressed ~50 of these.  I think there are boxes of this variant that were shipped (or will soon be shipped) to Boris or -nyd- headquarters for eventual sale.  I think it was the latest bloody splatter variant of Feedbacker that existed on tour initially, but took 5 months to be sold by the band publicly.  Something to consider.

10 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Did you have a TMR vault sub?  If you were keeping up on all variants, then you must have ordered that splatter TMR initially put up... which would've netted you one of these, due to TMR's negligence.  I still don't believe that they "accidentally" pressed ~50 of these.  I think there are boxes of this variant that were shipped (or will soon be shipped) to Boris or -nyd- headquarters for eventual sale.  I think it was the latest bloody splatter variant of Feedbacker that existed on tour initially, but took 5 months to be sold by the band publicly.  Something to consider.

No i didnt have a subscription so i had no way to buy or and they didnt post anything about it when it went up

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, KaitouG said:

oof. glad i forgot to return mine.  by the time i remembered i saw here (reddit?) that they basically had said nevermind, offer’s passed.  Still want a variant that looks like the one quoted a page or two back here, but looks like there is a pretty wide variation on how that press looks based on your copy...

Edited by iwokeinrelief

I do like that smoke version more, yeah.  I think above all else, I'm just moderately annoyed that no one has said or discovered anything going on with this "mixup".  I even tried reaching out to the band to no avail – not that I was expecting a response.  Once again, it's just unnecessarily secretive and I really don't get it.

That said, at least the replacement splatter is of the nicer splatter variety, in my opinion.  I dig TMR's "edge" splatter.  A lot more than the streaky dump that everyone else is going with these days.  Still think that mystery swirl better compliments the album though.

Yeah I agree, smoke >> splatter for this one. I really hoped that these would've looked like that Southeast Of Saturn comp, those came out looking absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully that NO folloW-up album will have nice variants.

FWIW my splatter copy of NO looks nice:

oh0S3qF.jpg

Edited by KaitouG

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I do like that smoke version more, yeah.  I think above all else, I'm just moderately annoyed that no one has said or discovered anything going on with this "mixup".  I even tried reaching out to the band to no avail – not that I was expecting a response.  Once again, it's just unnecessarily secretive and I really don't get it.

That said, at least the replacement splatter is of the nicer splatter variety, in my opinion.  I dig TMR's "edge" splatter.  A lot more than the streaky dump that everyone else is going with these days.  Still think that mystery swirl better compliments the album though.

"We've been keeping this as quiet as possible, so please exercise the same caution. The jade swirl version was supposed to go directly to the band to do with as they please. I do not know what the band will do with the records once we get them sent over. We want to respect the wishes of our artists to the best of our ability, which is why we are so dead-set on getting these variants returned to us."

I'm sure there's a reason for not doing this, but how hard would have it been to just label each variant with a sticker that's more descriptive than "color vinyl / limited edition"?

Also, comment from discogs:

"...That being said, wtf is this version that we have? Last email I received from TMR was "Would you send me a photo of the front of the record you received? I will be able to determine the variant you sent by the stickers or lack of stickers on the shrink wrap."

If true, why couldn't they identify and send the right version before?

3 hours ago, streetwaves said:

"We've been keeping this as quiet as possible, so please exercise the same caution. The jade swirl version was supposed to go directly to the band to do with as they please. I do not know what the band will do with the records once we get them sent over. We want to respect the wishes of our artists to the best of our ability, which is why we are so dead-set on getting these variants returned to us."

Ah, nice.  If that was posted in this thread I must have missed it or completely forgot about... because while it does more or less confirm that this is intended to be a separate variant, like we've suspected this whole time, it still doesn't answer when and where it'll be available.  To me, maximum bang for my buck would probably be releasing it as a "band exclusive version" on a bandcamp Friday.  But what do I know.  If they don't go that route someday, then I'm just going to assume it'll eventually be a tour exclusive.

2 minutes ago, ghost said:

I'm sure there's a reason for not doing this, but how hard would have it been to just label each variant with a sticker that's more descriptive than "color vinyl / limited edition"?

Also, comment from discogs:

"...That being said, wtf is this version that we have? Last email I received from TMR was "Would you send me a photo of the front of the record you received? I will be able to determine the variant you sent by the stickers or lack of stickers on the shrink wrap."

If true, why couldn't they identify and send the right version before?

Seriously, that makes no sense to me.  They're basically confessing to shipping negligence with that response.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Derek™  keep a pulse on the NYD webshop. Somebody on a Facebook Boris fan group says they saw a few flood related items pop up on NYDs FB store for a hot second.  Among those items they say were included are the elusive fan club variant of Flood @ ¥ 5,700 and the TMR vault exclusive as well @ ¥4,000.

Could be that they're trying to match the initial release date of the album on 12.15. So, maybe we'll see something pop up tomorrow 🤞

Edited by ghost

1 hour ago, ghost said:

@Derek™  keep a pulse on the NYD webshop. Somebody on a Facebook Boris fan group says they saw a few flood related items pop up on NYDs FB store for a hot second.  Among those items they say were included are the elusive fan club variant of Flood @ ¥ 5,700 and the TMR vault exclusive as well @ ¥4,000.

Could be that they're trying to match the initial release date of the album on 12.15. So, maybe we'll see something pop up tomorrow 🤞

My man.

45 minutes ago, ghost said:

Aaaaand there it is. 12/17 10PM JST fanclub variants of flood will be on sale on NYD. PST will be 5AM so that's gonna be fun :

https://www.instagram.com/nydcollectionjp/p/CXfeBUDJ_aH/?utm_medium=copy_link

Damn, is there any mention of how limited that fanclub version is?  I'll definitely be setting an alarm for 5 AM – actually works out great with my company's half-day Fridays – but unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time they've announced a set time for a -nyd- drop... and they usually sell out pretty quick as is.  I'd have to imagine it's a small run if TMR cared enough ask for their copies back.  Will probably be about $70 PPD, too. 😕 It's a good thing it's after Payday, I think there's a few things I'd potentially like to snag while I'm at it.