PO Now: HALSEY - If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power LP (Produced by NIN) - out on 8/27

9 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Have the Trent & Ross combo ever remixed or full-on produced a pop song before?  (Let alone a pop album?)  I don't know if it'll be a blind buy for me but I'm definitely intrigued by the combination – enough to check it out with an open mind, anyway.

Yes. There is a NIN remix of a U2 song, there is the semi-collaborative Miley Cyrus NIN cover tracks from Black Mirror, the entire HTDA album. This is far from Trent's first dip into pop music. 

19 minutes ago, richardp said:

Yes. There is a NIN remix of a U2 song, there is the semi-collaborative Miley Cyrus NIN cover tracks from Black Mirror, the entire HTDA album. This is far from Trent's first dip into pop music. 

Yeah, I wasn’t questioning whether or not Trent / Ross have flirted with the idea of working in the pop realm.  While I haven’t heard any of those U2 remixes, I am familiar with the Black Mirror episode you speak of.  Those are still pop songs through and through, though.  I don’t think they contain the same grit and abrasion that I caught from the teaser for this Halsey album, and that’s more-so what I’m intrigued by.  Not just the simple idea of Rossner slapping their name on a pop tune.

This work with Halsey is their first full-on as a production team. But as was posted, it's definitely not their first foray into the pop world. In the past, mainly TR has worked with other artists like: Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, David Bowie, Todd Rundgren, Tommy Lee, and Adrian Belew. 

Granted...none of those are straight-up pop music as we'd like to think it is. Today's music is blurring the lines on genres and styles anyways. So I'm excited to see what this album will yield. I love Halsey's music...and being a NIN fanatico fantastico numero uno...I'm even more excited for this. 

3 hours ago, jhulud said:

first full-on as a production team

I guess this was more-so what I was getting at, yeah.  Whether people want to admit it or not, Trent's always had strong pop sensibilities that can be traced back to the hooks in earlier NIN albums.  I was curious to hear if this was the first time they've filled true production shoes for an entire release, sort of like Dessner on the last couple of Taylor Swift records.  Can't say Halsey is the exact pairing I would've imagined but good on them for continuing to mix things up and push expectations.

It's anyone's guess...for now...how this collaboration came about. Hopefully once the album promotion machine picks up, they'll let in on how. But Halsey has always been a NIN fan and she's always been all over the place musically. And for the longest time, even way before How To Destroy Angels came about and he met Mariqueen, TR always said in interviews...around the time The Fragile came out...that he always wanted to work with female singers in some capacity as it lent itself to potential new sounds and music. 

• jhulud changed the title to PO Now: HALSEY - If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power LP (Produced by NIN) - out on 8/27
1 hour ago, nardes said:

Artwork is awesome…. I also love the edited cover… just a subtle little change while not taking away from the integrity of the original cover. 

but why no song release?

She posted that there would be a song dropped today. Not sure if it's going to be delayed.