SOLD OUT Now: Nothing - Don't Look for Light in Tunnels (A Decade of Nothing)

13 minutes ago, magickspells said:

I don’t think I’ll be opening mine when it arrives. Might sell it after a while. They’re one of my top fav bands, but the fact that this was, arguably, sneakily worded as a special album of unreleased music… “Well they never said it was new songs!!” Fair enough, but $60 is $60 that I could have spent on many other things. We waited like 7 months to get a vinyl with “nothing” on it lol.

People are saying they got actual blank discs with no grooves on reddit too you should probably check it to be safe.

44 minutes ago, magickspells said:

I don’t think I’ll be opening mine when it arrives. Might sell it after a while. They’re one of my top fav bands, but the fact that this was, arguably, sneakily worded as a special album of unreleased music… “Well they never said it was new songs!!” Fair enough, but $60 is $60 that I could have spent on many other things. We waited like 7 months to get a vinyl with “nothing” on it lol.

For real when they say “A DECADE OF NOTHING” I at least thought we’d get some demos or relevant studio stuff from over the years.  And yeah being that it was /1000 there wasn’t much time to literally research all the shit needed to maybe figure out what this was inspired by.  

Rereading the initial post/description I realize I did a disservice assuming anything but so did everyone lol.

Whatevs.  If it put food on their tables then cool.  

Edited by mrewest

14 hours ago, glass realms said:

The b-side is supposed to be doubled-grooved so has anybody tried checking if that is indeed the case and if there is actual music on that second groove?

I tried finding the second groove but honestly couldn’t.  If the main groove is what I was listening to, I can’t imagine what the even more experimental stuff is in that second groove.

The grooves on both sides are almost shockingly small and thin.  If you are glancing at it, you could possibly mistake them for not having grooves.  I’m not sure if that is what’s happening, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

edit:  here are some pics 

https://imgur.com/a/g8kyEtj

Edited by highfives

That is 100% a lathe cut thank you. There were multiple people saying it was a completely smooth disc, I really want to assume they're that stupid but lathe records are already flat with no grooves before being cut so it makes sense that they could have somehow got an actually blank copy.

2 hours ago, Why not Shelby said:

That is 100% a lathe cut thank you. There were multiple people saying it was a completely smooth disc, I really want to assume they're that stupid but lathe records are already flat with no grooves before being cut so it makes sense that they could have somehow got an actually blank copy.

I don't think it is a lathe cut. The center labels have pressing rings and a deeper stamper "indentation" (cannot remember what the actual term is). I see a longer runout etching in these pics. I don't think somebody would do that on 1000 copies manually.

Edit:

Preorder description says "produced at Studio 4 Vinyl." .They are not offering lathe cuts from what I can see.

Edited by Iggy_Pilot
produced at Studio 4 Vinyl

14 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

I don't think it is a lathe cut. The center labels have pressing rings and a deeper stamper "indentation" (cannot remember what the actual term is). I see a longer runout etching in these pics. I don't think somebody would do that on 1000 copies manually.

Edit:

Preorder description says "produced at Studio 4 Vinyl." .They are not offering lathe cuts from what I can see.

Yeah I think you're right. Gotta just assume the people on Reddit were mega dumb then.

Yeh...while I'm not enthused that this is what it is, I imagine it'll never be pressed again and some nothing completions who missed out with pay big bucks down the line.

I hate that they played this shitty FOMO game. Could've turned out to be like that Whirr record everyone pays ludicrous amounts for, but it is what it is. Nothing is kind of burnt in my book for this though. I won't be buying anything else from them unless I know exactly what I'm getting.

I've got two on the way. Ordered one from the US, and then Evil Greed when they listed it. I meant to cancel the US order, as there is no point in paying for shipping from there, and forgot. Until  I got shipping notice. 

As learnt in maths classes anything x 0 is still nothing. FFS. Feel free to mock me.

12 minutes ago, LeeKaye said:

I've got two on the way. Ordered one from the US, and then Evil Greed when they listed it. I meant to cancel the US order, as there is no point in paying for shipping from there, and forgot. Until  I got shipping notice. 

As learnt in maths classes anything x 0 is still nothing. FFS. Feel free to mock me.

Evil Greed may not have shipped yet, you still may be able to cancel that one.

15 minutes ago, Elluko said:

I emailed to cancel mine yesterday and got a shipping confirmation this morning so, looks like they are shipping 🥲

Yeah, I got shipping for Evil Greed yesterday, which prompted me to look in here to see whether others had got theirs...when I found out what was on these. Or not on these. 🤪

The first comment on Discogs.  I'm still having a hard time with all of this fluffy marketing copy.  It's, at this point, pretty fucking deceptive.  

And that "10 page booklet" felt like a legit slap in the face.  

Recorded in the modern-legendary Rhode Island studio Machines with Magnets, Seth Manchester manages to capture the sound of a room, the sound of machines and the sound of existence in an invitation to meditation. The piece on side A borrows from Cage’s 4’33”, demanding attention to the sound around you. Manchester captures the sound of guitar amplifiers, body movement and room resonance masterfully, making the listener feel transported to the room.
Side B, on its double groove, presents an interpretation of Nothing’s 2010 demo played back in the live room, melted into a beautiful resonated drone.
While this record may not be what most Nothing fans expected from a celebration of Nothing’s ten year successful career, it is a daring project that questions the meaning of music and sound, while being appropriate to the bands name - this is what Nothing sounds.