SOLD OUT Now: Nothing - Don't Look for Light in Tunnels (A Decade of Nothing)

7 minutes ago, highfives said:

The first comment on Discogs.  I'm still having a hard time with all of this fluffy marketing copy.  It's, at this point, pretty fucking deceptive.  

And that "10 page booklet" felt like a legit slap in the face.  

Recorded in the modern-legendary Rhode Island studio Machines with Magnets, Seth Manchester manages to capture the sound of a room, the sound of machines and the sound of existence in an invitation to meditation. The piece on side A borrows from Cage’s 4’33”, demanding attention to the sound around you. Manchester captures the sound of guitar amplifiers, body movement and room resonance masterfully, making the listener feel transported to the room.
Side B, on its double groove, presents an interpretation of Nothing’s 2010 demo played back in the live room, melted into a beautiful resonated drone.
While this record may not be what most Nothing fans expected from a celebration of Nothing’s ten year successful career, it is a daring project that questions the meaning of music and sound, while being appropriate to the bands name - this is what Nothing sounds.

I thought the 10 page booklet was hilarious as hell.   Really the only joy I've received from this release thus far.

26 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I thought the 10 page booklet was hilarious as hell.   Really the only joy I've received from this release thus far.

It  was a great chance to print liner notes and a cool write up about the decade of the band's history in UV gloss or something like that.  Still black, still plays with the schtick, but is something other than blank pages.  

3 hours ago, Elluko said:

I emailed to cancel mine yesterday and got a shipping confirmation this morning so, looks like they are shipping 🥲

3 hours ago, LeeKaye said:

Yeah, I got shipping for Evil Greed yesterday, which prompted me to look in here to see whether others had got theirs...when I found out what was on these. Or not on these. 🤪

I must've just caught them in time, bummer that you guys weren't able to

I was thinking about cancelling my order but it is being shipped from Evil Greed now. I could reject the package but something deep inside of me wants to believe in a sort of delayed gratification for this. Didn't Nine Inch Nails sent special records to fans who ordered from them before? Maybe buyers will receive something special at a later time? I am just hoping because I am totally NOT into ambient or drone records at all... I mean this was 47 € incl. shipping. Pretty hefty price tag for being trolled...🤣

Even with that description and Lucier reference, I don't know who really expected this. I just don't think they have the artistic credibility to justify a blind left turn on their fans like this. It's not like we've followed them down a road of twists and turns to get here. I've spent tons of money supporting this band in all ways and am feeling duped. And most of the records I buy are experimental/ambient/drone/etc.!

It's not the point, but I don't see these holding any value give the list price and pressing quantity either. But I'm keeping it since I'm sure no one else wants it!

13 minutes ago, Why not Shelby said:

"I'm just gonna listen to it before I listen to any of their real albums so I can pretend they were setting up for a live show just for me ^_^"

-reddituser69420

Seems like a tough username to get. How'd you manage is Shlebs? 😉

13 hours ago, highfives said:

The first comment on Discogs.  I'm still having a hard time with all of this fluffy marketing copy.  It's, at this point, pretty fucking deceptive.  

And that "10 page booklet" felt like a legit slap in the face.  

Recorded in the modern-legendary Rhode Island studio Machines with Magnets, Seth Manchester manages to capture the sound of a room, the sound of machines and the sound of existence in an invitation to meditation. The piece on side A borrows from Cage’s 4’33”, demanding attention to the sound around you. Manchester captures the sound of guitar amplifiers, body movement and room resonance masterfully, making the listener feel transported to the room.
Side B, on its double groove, presents an interpretation of Nothing’s 2010 demo played back in the live room, melted into a beautiful resonated drone.
While this record may not be what most Nothing fans expected from a celebration of Nothing’s ten year successful career, it is a daring project that questions the meaning of music and sound, while being appropriate to the bands name - this is what Nothing sounds.

Lmao is this a joke? Jesus fuck. You never know these days…

7 hours ago, Coldplay31169 said:

I feel like that idea of a person has died down here in Florida luckily. I imagine they all migrated to the PNW

Yeah, there’s a bit but not as many as you’d think. Granted I only drive across the bridge to Portland every once in a while these days and it’s mostly white trash fuckboys with big trucks and Blue Lives Matter stickers in the metro area outside of there. 

This whole release is crazy to me though. I would so pissed if I bought some record that turned out to be a pretentious ass “art” piece. Can’t even wrap my head around the whole novelty aspect. I casually like this band and all and am not trying to tell people what they should be pissed at but this whole thing is weird as hell 🤷🏻‍♂️