Jump to content

SOLD OUT Now: Nothing - Don't Look for Light in Tunnels (A Decade of Nothing)


Recommended Posts

  • 10 months later...
3 hours ago, jhulud said:

Is it true that Kyle (drums) left the band? 

 

Wouldn’t surprise me, on all socials he’s been doing his own things. And he missed out on practically all that whirlwind world tour last year. Basically a cover band at this point, but if the music is still good then I don’t mind too much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I actually forgot this release existed.  To those who dropped ~$70 on it; how many times have you actually played this one?

Zero.

 

Edit: was it really that much at release?

 

Edit 2: was closer to $50 for me.

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I actually forgot this release existed.  To those who dropped ~$70 on it; how many times have you actually played this one?

Still sealed but not because I’m gonna sell it - just because I have no intention of playing - I bought it only for my collection - it’s like owning the national sorrow set but on a smaller scale

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Y'all act like we knew what we were buying and had more than an hour to decide lol.

This right here.

 

I took a gamble on a historically pretty baller band and it unfortunately didn't pan out the way I would have hoped. I've certainly wasted $50 on dumber shit in the past and likely will at some point in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Y'all act like we knew what we were buying and had more than an hour to decide lol.

No i'm not trying to shame you, but like...  why didn't everyone mass revolt against them?  This is beyond egregious levels of bullshit on their part.  Like, i can't even believe they did this.  This is straight up MEAN and evil-spirited. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

No i'm not trying to shame you, but like...  why didn't everyone mass revolt against them?  This is beyond egregious levels of bullshit on their part.  Like, i can't even believe they did this.  This is straight up MEAN and evil-spirited. 

 

Personally I just don't care. Could've actually made money off of it if I sold it around the release date too. I buy 100+ records every year with a good chunk blindly by artists I love... they don't always all hit and a lot of the time I'll lose out on more money selling something I didn't like at a loss than I would have selling this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL at people thinking they were bamboozled by the band - come on - it's says this on the production page:

 

"In 2020, to commemorate a decade of Nothing, Domenic Palermo and the group travelled to Rhode Island studio Machines with Magnets to fulfill a two part thought experiment with producer Seth Manchester. The vision was to capture the sound of nothing on both a sonic and subsonic level. On the surface of the 180 gram vinyl you experience the recordings of the live room setting of Nothing with meticulously placed mics, tuned drums and guitars, amplifiers, pre-amps, EQs and compressors set. With the help of legendary vinyl cutter Paul Brekus, a methodical double grooved b side hides the second more cerebral part of the vision. Manchester takes a page from Alvin Lucier’s “I Am Sitting in a Room" projecting the 2010 Nothing demo through the live room speakers repeatedly until the song dissolved into the tonal sound of room resonances that seem to span infinitely."

 

at worst the band took advantage of collector's FOMO but it was never presented as anything else than what it was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonic and subsonic literally mean "sound" and "no sound". That isn't clear at all when the following sentence says the band is in a room with mics on all their instruments on the surface (or sonic) level with another (subsonic) experiment hidden on second groove. I don't think people should be all that mad but don't defend this either lol.

 

If it was so obvious why didn't you tell us all what it was? You were posting around the drop time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, drewberinger said:

LOL at people thinking they were bamboozled by the band - come on - it's says this on the production page:

 

"In 2020, to commemorate a decade of Nothing, Domenic Palermo and the group travelled to Rhode Island studio Machines with Magnets to fulfill a two part thought experiment with producer Seth Manchester. The vision was to capture the sound of nothing on both a sonic and subsonic level. On the surface of the 180 gram vinyl you experience the recordings of the live room setting of Nothing with meticulously placed mics, tuned drums and guitars, amplifiers, pre-amps, EQs and compressors set. With the help of legendary vinyl cutter Paul Brekus, a methodical double grooved b side hides the second more cerebral part of the vision. Manchester takes a page from Alvin Lucier’s “I Am Sitting in a Room" projecting the 2010 Nothing demo through the live room speakers repeatedly until the song dissolved into the tonal sound of room resonances that seem to span infinitely."

 

at worst the band took advantage of collector's FOMO but it was never presented as anything else than what it was.

This is bullshit.  Describing meticulously placed mics, tuned drums and guitars, amps, preamps, all insinuate actual music.  The easy swap of the band name stylized in all lowercase letters with the actual word “nothing” is also deceptive.

 

They knew what they were doing and it was sneaky as fuck.  It has absolutely ruined me taking any chances on this band’s releases now.

 

The moment I spun this and found out what it was I listed it on eBay and luckily recouped my money.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, highfives said:

This is bullshit.  Describing meticulously placed mics, tuned drums and guitars, amps, preamps, all insinuate actual music.  The easy swap of the band name stylized in all lowercase letters with the actual word “nothing” is also deceptive.

 

They knew what they were doing and it was sneaky as fuck.  It has absolutely ruined me taking any chances on this band’s releases now.

 

The moment I spun this and found out what it was I listed it on eBay and luckily recouped my money.   

Yeah, they were definitely playing on FOMO and misdirection with this.

 

The overlap of fans with this band and Whirr who had in the past years also done incredibly limited pressings of an excellent album really pushed this over the edge too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×

Please disable AdBlocker

Okay