(PO SOON?) : Turnstile - Glow On

22 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Just out of curiosity, when do you think its fair to call it, a whole album listen? For example this turnstile, they have release bout half of the album already. Im with ya tho , 1 or 2 songs would be a silly statement to make.

I know it’s dumb to set “rules” for music discussion, so obviously nothing is set in stone here – and also very subjective person to person – but I would think bare minimum, you’d need to hear the full album front to back, right?  For me, even interludes or shorter gap tracks can change the tone or impact of a full record.  But I’m also a full album guy through and through, and personally like to get in 2-3 listens before I can confidently say how it competes with everything else for the year.  Especially when most of my new favorite records end up being dense or requiring a few listens to fully unpack.  Saying that a band has put out the best singles of the year is a fair statement… but unless you’ve gotten your hands on a leak or have had an advance copy, referring to a record as AOTY before its release date just doesn’t add up to me.  “This is shaping up to be my AOTY”, I totally get.  “Unless so and so surprise me with their record, [band] is going to release my AOTY I’m pretty sure”… not so much.  Especially when there’s not even a single to go off of.  Nothing wrong with being a devout fanboy but it is pretty silly like Dan said.

8 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

I get this for sure. Like was said before, confidence sets in, and my brain runs wild sometimes 😝

I feel like I may have overused the “AOTY” term too much too. In reality, even if this is Turnstiles BEST album to date, how can I truly judge how it stacks up against other albums this year, if I haven’t listened to everything so far. Also, is “AOTY” subjective based on genre? Or are we putting for example/and hypothetically a new ETID album against Leon Bridges new record from last month? IMO, you do, but wondering what other think.  

I guess among friends and the circles I’ll discuss music with, AOTY is definitely just that – the top album of the year.  So I’m used to it holding a little clout or making my ears perk up.  “AOTY so far” is fair to throw around in the first half of the year.  And I, too, will say stuff like “electronic AOTY for me” or “probably the metal AOTY at this point”.  Without designation though, if you use it as is, I’m going to assume it’s quite literally the best record you’ve heard for the current year.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know about the Carpet pop up shop so I missed that. Baltimore was a 2.5 hour trip for me so I wouldn't have made it anyway. The set was amazing a had a great turnout. They had a couple shirts, a hoodie, long sleeve, CD and vinyl. Vinyl was $25 (black vinyl) so I saved money skipping the preorder and got a copy early. The jacket is gatefold and inside a slip cover. No insert, all the lyrics and credits are inside the gatefold. No download card either. The design for packaging is nice though. It goes above the standard. Gonna listen to it in the morning. I'm sure it's great.

Edited by N8TRU

On 8/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, mitchard said:

Just got the dreaded/expected "Vinyl is delayed, but on the way to us!" email from All In Merch. 

Just curious, which variant did you order? I was lucky enough to snag the Cloud variant but haven’t received any kind of email from All In Merch... wonder if it’s certain variants that are delayed or what. Kinda weird to get that email especially considering they have black and blue copies on tour with them already...

Edited by lungfutang

11 hours ago, lungfutang said:

Just curious, which variant did you order? I was lucky enough to snag the Cloud variant but haven’t received any kind of email from All In Merch... wonder if it’s certain variants that are delayed or what. Kinda weird to get that email especially considering they have black and blue copies on tour with them already...

I got the Cloud as well and no e-mail. it must be variant driven.

13 hours ago, lungfutang said:

I got the baby blue one that went up after the first round of variants sold out. Which seems to be one they have in hand already?