PO Soon - Underoath - Voyeurist

1 hour ago, dreamover said:

the record definitely sounds better than I expected. I was more interested in seeing it performed live, so I was a bit bummed to see the live stream was more of a "visual album". I guess bravo underoath for getting a bunch of fans to essentially buy the album twice. 

Missing kingdom leaks rn 

2 hours ago, dreamover said:

the record definitely sounds better than I expected. I was more interested in seeing it performed live, so I was a bit bummed to see the live stream was more of a "visual album". I guess bravo underoath for getting a bunch of fans to essentially buy the album twice. 

lol yeah they announced a black friday sale on it for 50% of so I went for it. performance was good, but not really "live" since it's clear they did a bunch of takes and stitched it together.

• 1 month later...

https://www.kerrang.com/inside-underoaths-cathartic-album-fearless-future

I remember a discussion in the Erase Me thread where we thought it was odd that Grant and James weren't in the studio. This article explains the songwriting process:

You chose to write and record it all independently. What was that like, and how did it make Underøath grow as a band?
Spencer: “So there are the four main writers in the band – which is Tim, myself, Chris [Dudley, keyboard] and Aaron [Gillespie, Drums]. On Erase Me, there were songs coming in from groups of two, some songs were written in groups of three, but I feel like the best songs on that record were actually written as the four of us. I think the biggest thing that changed, looking at it from the outside, is that when we came back to Voyeurist we decided to not do it that way. We decided it was best to do it as the four of us in a room. It’s the four dudes jamming like it would have been pre-being in a big band: what did you do when you were young, and you didn't have recording equipment, and you couldn’t send stuff over the internet? To me, being in the room together meant there is that human interaction that makes it so special.”

---

One thing that I don't really understand is that they're saying it's independent but Fearless has the copyright on Spotify and they've been promoting the album. That to me is not independent, unless they mean this is the last album coming out on Fearless based off the quote "We’re not on a label anymore, and this gives us the chance to play around, figure out what works and really decide where we want to go. I just think we need to try a lot of different things."

Vinylmnky order marked as shipped. I would be shocked if it actually showed up by Friday, which is ironic considering the whole delay to release everything at once, but I'll survive. Still hoping this album grows on me, but most of the singles have had a distinct ~edgelord~ flavor to them that doesn't have me stoked.

2 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

My deluxe has not shipped. Gotta agree it's ironic.

Same. Ordered a deluxe copy as well as the egg drop variant through their Observatory website like 10 minutes after it dropped. Still no shipping notification. Yet both variants showed to have arrived last week...so....

I'll say this, i get everyone is behind, backed up, short-staffed, low supply, etc et. I get it, i work in supply chain, so i'm front and center with the industry wide issues. But, with the vinyl delays as they are currently, you'd think the point of posting pictures of in-stock vinyl, would be to infer that there would be no such delays for this release. Yet, here we are. 

On 1/12/2022 at 12:07 PM, N8TRU said:

One thing that I don't really understand is that they're saying it's independent but Fearless has the copyright on Spotify and they've been promoting the album. That to me is not independent, unless they mean this is the last album coming out on Fearless based off the quote "We’re not on a label anymore, and this gives us the chance to play around, figure out what works and really decide where we want to go. I just think we need to try a lot of different things."

Haven't seen the actual credits on the record yet, but I'm assuming they own the recording/masters and licensed it to fearless for the release.

Album is decent. Better than erase me (which isn’t hard to do). The heavy parts are so good. The experimental/post rock elements are really well done too. I’ve always said UO would be a great instrumental band. Always love that side of things.

What’s up with their fascination with saying “fucking” on this record. Like we get it, you aren’t a Christian band anymore. I just find it really annoying and juvenile.

13 minutes ago, RadDonut said:

What’s up with their fascination with saying “fucking” on this record. Like we get it, you aren’t a Christian band anymore. I just find it really annoying and juvenile.

They really have to make sure you know they're not a Christian band anymore.  And that this isn't just a phase [mom!].

On 1/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, Buffbloom said:

My Eggdrop showed up today without warning. Never received shipping notification and it wasn't on my USPS informed delivery this morning either. 

I emailed their merch team and go a response saying my order had shipped (similar to yours without notification) and tracking number was provided. Should be here tomorrow

53 minutes ago, RadDonut said:

Album is decent. Better than erase me (which isn’t hard to do). The heavy parts are so good. The experimental/post rock elements are really well done too. I’ve always said UO would be a great instrumental band. Always love that side of things.

picked up the red smoke variant at target since it was $22 + 5% off with red card. Seemed like the cheapest way to pick it up. Variant looks nice. Not sure I need another slipmat though. Added it to discogs if anyone wants to see what it looks like: https://www.discogs.com/release/21738511-Underoath-Voyeurist

6 hours ago, RadDonut said:

Glad this isn’t just me. I get it Spencer you are happy you can swear now. But all of the random F’s really take me out of the songs, and feel really out of place. Would be more enjoyable without.

16 hours ago, xthricex said:

Glad this isn’t just me. I get it Spencer you are happy you can swear now. But all of the random F’s really take me out of the songs, and feel really out of place. Would be more enjoyable without.

Happy I’m not alone in this. I know it’s silly to complain about. I don’t care that bands curse, I also curse. It’s just a weird thing in a decent song and it just breaks the immersion of what’s happening.

At least change it up a bit and do a quick “fuck” or a shit or a damn. Idk just stop using fucking every other song and using it 3-4 times in one song. It’s just annoying me.

Edited by RadDonut

Only a few full listens in, but I think it's safe to say that the worst songs on this are better than the worst songs on Erase Me, but the best songs on this are worse than the best songs on Erase Me?

Also add me to the constant, infantile swearing is grating crowd. In fact, I think all of the lyrics on this one are pretty much garbage. There's an unspoken rule in cinema that if you can't write good, creative dialogue, you just fill it with profanity to flavor it up, and I think that's exactly what happened here. Too lazy to rewrite your lines to fit the right cadence? Just throw "fucking" in there like a soundcloud rapper.