Thrice - Horizons/East

2 hours ago, rrd said:

i think the digital download is gonna be tied to the release date for the vinyl, which is dumb

super freakin dumb - but is probably the response i'm going to get from the support team when they eventually reply. 

In general - Tracking down 320kbps downloads from vinyl purchases is becoming soo freakin hard. Fewer & fewer records include the download code, or send an email. And they never come on time. The only site that has it figured it out is Bandcamp.

27 minutes ago, Justinadamk said:

super freakin dumb - but is probably the response i'm going to get from the support team when they eventually reply. 

In general - Tracking down 320kbps downloads from vinyl purchases is becoming soo freakin hard. Fewer & fewer records include the download code, or send an email. And they never come on time. The only site that has it figured it out is Bandcamp.

Yeah, and unfortunately people like us who actually care are in the minority.  

They got back to me and sent me a link to DL - but I didn't get a chance to see if the link actually worked yet.  

I stopped downloading at all about 5 years ago as I only stream now. But never understood people complaining about download links. It literally took me 5 secs to find a download link for the album. Or is it the fact you don't want to illegally download music? Or can't use the internet? In my opinion it doesn't count as a  "bad" thing if you download something that you bought a physical copy of, but probably it's just me. 

Edited by xfactor675

1 hour ago, xfactor675 said:

I stopped downloading at all about 5 years ago as I only stream now. But never understood people complaining about download links. It literally took me 5 secs to find a download link for the album. Or is it the fact you don't want to illegally download music? Or can't use the internet? In my opinion it doesn't count as a  "bad" thing if you download something that you bought a physical copy of, but probably it's just me. 

I've lost 2 computers due to viruses obtained from downloading illegally - that's why.  So I make sure I get my downloads from a reputable source and that I back up my hard drive as I've lost way too much music in the past. 

And I get I'm a dinosaur for not streaming, but hey, I collect records, so is it all that shocking?  Not to mention I listen to so many small artists whose rights issue will get muddied over time as labels fold or absorbed into others - I just sleep easier knowing I have a download code.  

I still buy movies too :P

18 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

Don't get me wrong - I have many means to downloads "illegally", and don't feel bad about it because like you said, I bought the physical. I also end up doing it A LOT!

However, my 2 main points of contention with this are

1. Any time the product says it comes with a download, it should and I shouldn't have to wait a week after release to get an email to 160kbps (NFG's latest release is the example coming to mind for that)

2. Yes, I've found a few sites to download from, but there are tons of spam sites out there that are all fake links, and torrents are fewer and farer between these days. And even when I get the download via torrent or download site and they say it's a certain bit rate - I can't say I trust it all that much because it's easy to rip a youtube video at whatever quality you want, even though the youtube video is shit to begin with, and because it seems so few people pay for/get downloads now (they just stream) so where are these source downloads coming from to begin with you know?

/end rant

It’s about $120 for an entire year of a streaming service, less if you catch a deal. Buy about 3 less records per year and you can listen to basically every song. I understand the PRINCIPLE of “download included” but it shouldn’t be something that is ruining your life in 2021.

Also, happy to admit I was wrong and Thrice have come back from that butt rock opus that was Palms. This record is good! I’m gonna buy a copy eventually.

Edited by dantheriver

34 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

It’s about $120 for an entire year of a streaming service, less if you catch a deal. Buy about 3 less records per year and you can listen to basically every song. I understand the PRINCIPLE of “download included” but it shouldn’t be something that is ruining your life in 2021.

Also, happy to admit I was wrong and Thrice have come back from that butt rock opus that was Palms. This record is good! I’m gonna buy a copy eventually.

no one said ruining life - i've clearly managed, and will continue to do so. There's just a few of us still out here that would like mp3s instead of streaming is all we're saying

3 hours ago, Justinadamk said:

There's just a few of us still out here that would like mp3s instead of streaming is all we're saying

I with you. Maybe we should form a group, buy a CD copy in addition to our wax, and then share the rip? Over the last couple years I have bought the occasional CD to rip to WAV/MP3, and then sold the CD used NM.

This album is better than Palms but I still think Thrice should've stayed on hiatus or reformed under a different name.  Doesn't quite live up to their prior catalog but I wasn't exactly holding my breath when taking it for a spin, so it was by no means a "disappointment".  Strangely enough I feel like there's a lot of great stuff to be found in the verses on this thing, but the choruses feel like complete jank and completely pull me out of the song.  I don't know how to describe them other than super left-field and-or forced.  Which is still better than anthemic stadium butt-rock choruses, don't get me wrong.  But they're the ultimate blue balls when the verses establish some A+ grooves or progressions... Riley and Ed definitely kill it; there were several standout moments where the bass shined, especially.

Regarding digital copies: bandcamp has been a blessing in recent years but I get that it's not always an option unless you intend to re-purchase everything through the platform, digitally.  I do enjoy that digital rips are included with any vinyl purchase though.  That being said I've probably been downloading MP3s for about 2 decades now and I don't think I've once crashed a PC or obtained malware from them.  Torrents are viable, but I lean towards P2P these days.  In about 20 seconds I searched one to find this album and saw 6 complete rips in 320.  I would bet top dollar that they're authentic 320s as well, and not some Youtube transcode bullshit.

I completely agree that it's nice and occasionally beneficial to keep an MP3 collection – I maintain one alongside FLAC as best as I can – but I don't think it's at all "harder and harder" to find them online these days.  Especially for bands as popular as Thrice.

I listened this morning and I was pleasantly surprised - easily surpasses Palms and will definitely hold significant replay value for me.  I'm beyond the days of yearning for a return to their style from years past, so I'm just along for the ride.  Perhaps part of my enjoyment is that I don't really listen to much else like this, therefore I don't have a lot to compare it against. 

Just received this email.

Hello, we wanted to update you on your recent pre-order. The colored vinyl for Horizons/East will now be released on 11/19 due to delays at the pressing plant. Of course, as soon as these arrive at our warehouse we'll start shipping out the orders.

2 hours ago, swisherprice said:

Just received this email.

Hello, we wanted to update you on your recent pre-order. The colored vinyl for Horizons/East will now be released on 11/19 due to delays at the pressing plant. Of course, as soon as these arrive at our warehouse we'll start shipping out the orders.

"of course as soon as these arrive..." 😪

I just got shipping notification from HHV for the Orange & Mustard Galaxy and the Neon Yellow & Violet editions. Shipping from SwissPost to the USA estimates 1-5 weeks, which sounds about right having lived in Germany myself for awhile. Although I did just ship a friend in the Netherlands a record and he got it in a week!

On 10/4/2021 at 6:07 AM, xfactor675 said:

banquet received their copies. the neon yellow/violet turned out great

244357091_10166147434690323_199492380337

Not sure if it’s because I’m on mobile or not but this isn’t loading at all for me. Anywhere else to see the variant?

nvm. Found it on Instagram 

Edited by RadDonut

1 hour ago, xthricex said:

Wait how are other variants getting shipped when the kings road variant is delayed til NOVEMBER? The hell?

European variants arrive earlier as they were manufactured here like every epitaph release. Same happened with quicksand. US variants needs to be shipped (literally) from Europe. 

Edited by xfactor675

• 2 weeks later...